My Pigeon isn`t well...Please Help - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted 27th January 2006, 05:20 PM

My Pigeon isn`t well...Please Help

Hello everyone.
I`ve been reading a lot of posts here and found some good info, however I`d like a little more advice if possible. I`ll give a few details.

Four years ago I found a young pigeon, a squab I guess you would call it. It was abandoned and I took it home. I managed to bring it on well and since then it has sort of lived with me, in the house. It goes out in the day (well it did until a few days ago) and comes in at night. As soon as dusk rolls in I`ll see it sitting near the patio door and I let it in. He has a sort of nest, plenty of pigeon food and fresh water.

Anyway, two days ago I saw him at the patio door and opened it and expected him to come jumping in as always. However, he just sat there. I knew something was wrong as he never does this. I went out and lifted him in, another thing that he never lets me do. Although I`ve had him for four years I never did manage to tame him so that I could stroke him or lift him up.

Well, since then I`ve had him on a warm hot water bottle and covered up. He won`t move, drink or eat.
I`ve made ringers solution and have been trying to give it him, and I`ve made a mixture of small pigeon corn pieces, frozen peas (thawed!), and a little bread and water to bind it. I`ve been trying to feed him this too but it`s very difficult. Although he won`t move unaided, he can certainly make it difficult to feed him!
Sometimes I put his normal seed bowl right up to him and he actually bends down and tries to peck the seeds but he can`t seem to get any and gives up.

I have had a good look in his mouth and throat and can`t see anything wrong eg canker, and I`ve checked him over thoroughly and can find no outward signs of injury.
I`m at a loss as to what to do. I don`t have a vet near or any "bird" friends I can ask hence I`m here to ask you good folks for advice.

What can I do? What should I be feeding him? My local pet store is useless, they don`t have any medicines or formula stuff I can make up. I`d be so grateful for any suggestions.
I`m not even sure of how much I should be trying to feed him or water him. Could someone please let me know the quantities I should be aiming to get into him? Maybe you could approximate in teaspoon measures so I know exactly what you mean?

Please help, he`s a lovely little chap and I`d love to bring him back to health.

All the best,
Ed.

Tags
apple cider vinegar, avian vet, avian vets, bacterial infection, beautiful birds, brewers yeast, broken wing, electric heating pad, gut bacteria, hawk attack, heating pad, local pet store, nesting material, pet store, pigeon food, pigeon rescue, pigeon supplies, pigeon supply, pigeon supply houses, pigeon supply store, rehydrating solution, sick pigeon, sick pigeons, wild pigeon, wild pigeons, young pigeon