My pigeons are dying.. help! - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 28th November 2016, 11:31 AM
It could be bacterial or something common and easily treated. That's why I suggested to start with the dropping sample or swab for canker. Don't know that it's viral. You have to start somewhere, so starting with the most common makes sense.
If viral, not much you can do for it, but if bacterial or canker or something treatable, then not treating is wasting time.
So start with a wide spectrum antibiotic and see if it helps, and treating for canker would be a good idea, as often that will come into play when a bird is down with something else.
As I said, a good vet would be the best thing, but without that, then you have to do something.
We are not there, and seeing the birds or what they are doing, ie eating drinking or whatever, so hard to reallly get a feeling for what is going on. One person would say they were fine the day before, and another person may notice that they are drinking more and not eating much. So hard to know. Can't always go by that.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 28th November 2016, 04:30 PM
Jak, could you please post photos of some of the birds and their droppings?
Posted 28th November 2016, 04:55 PM
In this situation I would agree that you need to start treatment immediately.

Amoxicillin is widely available, follow the directions on the container if you can get some of it.

Posted 28th November 2016, 07:36 PM
Thanks again everyone. After reading all your advise carefully I am going to go to a farm shop and buy one medication that will cover a wide variety of bacterial infections, then see what happens.

Its strange how my chickens are also having the same disease at the same life stage. Would I be right in thinking it could not be the same virus affecting 2 different bird species? I hope so... as a virus would be hard to treat. I think the same bacteria could affect different species.... so hope a broad spectrum antibiotic will help all the birds.

Finally about de worming. Could worms cause this problem with my pigeons and chickens? Would birds loose condition and weight if they had a lot of worms?

PS. I went to a huge animal hospital in the city with one of my bird and was told they don't treat birds... and the huge shop with masses of medications they had NOTHING for birds!!!! It took me 2 hours round trip for that visit... so I was rather annoyed!!!!

I researched on the net.. and my city has no racing clubs or even pigeon fanciers societies. I would have to go down to Bangkok which would entail an airplane flight... or very long train journey.... so that is out.
Posted 28th November 2016, 09:25 PM
Sorry you are having so much trouble in trying to locate meds. That's terrible.
Yes, worms could make them loose condition and weight.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 28th November 2016, 10:59 PM
Jak, am so sorry you are having such a hard time. Hope your birds are better soon. Where did you get them? Is there a breeder or someone like that who,sells them there? Sounds very hard there, without vets or meds.
Posted 29th November 2016, 02:39 AM
I started with 4 Old Dutch Capuchine pairs which someone brought up from Bangkok as he was coming to my city to get birds he could not get in Bangkok. He swapped them for some of my fancy chickens.

I then got one pair of white king pigeons from a small pet shop in the city.. but since then.. many years ago.. they have never had any more.

I also caught 1 young white feral pigeon from the city (if was covered in oil) and nursed it back to health... then I was able to cross it with my white kings to get some birds that resembled white homers.

All this was about 7 years ago... all my birds are descended from those first few. All my original birds are still alive and well. When ever a got too many I was able to sell them to my friends who are fellow bird fanciers.

I had a mass lot die about 3 years ago due to salmonella (showed all the symptoms and had very bad green slimy droppings). After that (I lost nearly all my flock).. I stopped breeding for a year.. which was also good as it was the time I had to go into rented house while we build our new house.

Since then no problems until now.

Off to the city first thing tomorrow to get some poultry broad spectrum antibiotics.

Do you think I should also worm the birds? Will that medication harm any squabs in the nests?

Thanks.
Posted 29th November 2016, 07:18 AM
I'm afraid it would harm the babies. They shouldn't be wormed till 4 months old. I mean unless a bird a couple of months old had to be wormed, then they shouldn't be. Wouldn't worm with babies in the nests.
Any meds you give could affect the babies too.

Tags
death, disease