My Pigeons Has Canker??????urgent!!!!! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 25th September 2005, 08:44 PM
Exclamation

My Pigeons Has Canker??????urgent!!!!!

=hbhjkb;jkn

Last edited by amamuffin; 19th February 2007 at 10:56 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 25th September 2005, 08:47 PM
There are several possibilities. Where are you? Oh, yeah. NYC. Okay, you can get a product for fish tanks that will take care of it. I'm going to have to go find a reference to it, though.

Read this one:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=7538

Pidgey

Last edited by Pidgey; 25th September 2005 at 08:53 PM..
Posted 25th September 2005, 09:01 PM
If you email me where to ship it I'll send you some Trichocure. They're one dose pills that you have to get the pidgie to swallow . I'm in NJ so it should get to you in a day or so.

Posted 25th September 2005, 09:06 PM
Sounds like Pete's saving the day, Pidgey, but bookmark this one:

http://www.internationalmodenaclub.c.../formulary.htm

Don't worry amamuffin, sounds like you noticed it early.

Best,

fp
Posted 25th September 2005, 09:21 PM
Hi annamuffin,

Are these slightly 'yellow' at all? Yellowy-white? and looking kind of like little bits of small curd Cottage Cheese? In their throat?

If so...this would sound like Canker or Trichomoniasis illness...

You might be able to get some appropriate meds from local wildlife rescue/rehab folks if you can locate some...from any local Pigeon racers or Fanciers, if you can locate them...or, from any Avian Vet, or maybe even stores which sell Bird supplies for Bird Pet owners...

Canker is also a Trichomoniasis, and this is a common malady for that matter with commercial foul of various sorts, so any Farm supply outfit in your area may have something for anti-trichomoniasis...even if in packets for making 50 Gallon batches or something. These do not tend not be expensive, and the "Emtryl" used to come that way for that matter, and a packet cost about what a Sandwhich and a Coke would have...so...

"Spartrix"..."Ronidazole"..."Emtryl" or "Metronidazole" ( I think)...and various others..."Berimax"...

A.S.A.P. of course would be best...

Make sure whatever you get that you are correct with the dosage...and or with the successive dosages if of the kind of med one uses over some days...

Good luck...!

Phil
Las Vegas

Last edited by pdpbison; 25th September 2005 at 09:24 PM..
Posted 25th September 2005, 10:28 PM
Exclamation

Yes It Is Canker

k nsknqopnwd modn12podnj12 ndnio2niop

Last edited by amamuffin; 19th February 2007 at 11:00 PM..
Posted 25th September 2005, 11:06 PM
Hi Ama,

Usually an easy 'cure'...

Follow up with "Berimax" ( get on line via 'google' searches) which is supposed to eradicate even the low level background populations of the Trichomonads, so that none remain, which the medicines usually do not do.

Very common malady...

Birds may carry it as a background accomidation often, and it can then flare up if the Bird's immune system or nutrition is compromised...

Young or Baby Birds may get it from parents who carry it without the parents themselves showing symptoms...

The Organism lives in moist Soils and Birds get it when drinking from puddles...

Birds who do have it may contaminate water they drink from, especially if the water is in a little dish shared by many...

"Emtryl" I think was/is actually 'Dimetridazole'...

The soonest anyone could get any meds to you would be Tuesday if they mailed them "Next Day Air" on Monday...

Some of these same meds are used to treat various things in people...

You could get meds not only as I outlined above, but, also, likely, from some Pharmacies...

If you call around, you can likely get some tomorrow day, instead of having to wait longer for some to arrive in the mails...

Phil
Las Vegas
Posted 25th September 2005, 11:46 PM
Hi amamuffin,

You might have a bit of a problem trying to get the people version from a Pharmacy without a prescription. That might take some fenageling, but something you could do right away while you wait would be to add a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
to one gallon of water and only give that water for your pij to drink. That's had easily and cheaply enough and will help to keep the count down on the organism. You can also follow up with the medication with the same batch of water. I usually keep mine refridgerated and let sit in bowl after serving to get to room temperature. Apple Cider Vinegar would be best to use especially the
kind at Health Food Stores such as Bragg, however white vinegar is also purported to do the trick if that's all you have on hand right now. Start and then swap out for the Apple Cider Vinegar when you get it. Don't use the fancy ones like wine or with herbs. Garlic would be OK.

Best,

fp
Posted 25th September 2005, 11:55 PM
Hi fp,

Yahhh...you are right about the scrip...

A friendly Veterinarian could likely provide the scrip if they themselves did not have the meds on hand...

Phil
Las Vegas
Posted 26th September 2005, 04:37 AM
[QUOTE=feralpigeon]Hi amamuffin,
Apple Cider Vinegar would be best to use especially the
kind at Health Food Stores such as Bragg, however white vinegar is also purported to do the trick if that's all you have on hand right now. Start and then swap out for the Apple Cider Vinegar when you get it. Garlic would be OK.
fp/QUOTE]

Hi amamuffin,

Make sure you follow the strict dose of 1 tablespoon per gallon, if you don't the bird will not likely drink it as it may be too strong. The health food store ACV is best, as it has the "mother" in it which provides potency and better results.

Posted 26th September 2005, 06:54 AM
Exclamation

questions to treesa

iubhi;ujhniujk

Last edited by amamuffin; 19th February 2007 at 10:56 PM..
Posted 26th September 2005, 06:59 AM

hi again

oi2feh[io2fhjio

Last edited by amamuffin; 19th February 2007 at 11:00 PM..
Posted 26th September 2005, 07:23 AM
Go to a health food store (for humans) and buy a bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar. Preferably, buy it in a non-transparent bottle. Light, just like for milk, does damages to the product. Look at the bottle of acv to see if it contains "mother". Go to www.omeganutrition.com if you wish to learn more.

If someone has a bird with canker and it's an emergency, here's what you can do: Go to a pharmacy and see the pharmacist. Tell him/her something like: "I need a small favor. I found a bird and it has canker. If I don't treat the bird right away it will die (which is true depending on the state of the disease - this comment is for you only). Could you be kind enough to give me a SINGLE tablet of Metronidazole 250mg (it costs about 10 cents to the pharmacist). You see, I need to crush that tablet and divide in 10 equal parts, then administer it to the bird."

Place a single tablet in a tablespoon and use a teaspoon to crush it to fine powder. Then use a sheet of paper, you know the one with small squares all over (drafting paper) and cover 10 squares. Mix the equivalent of one square with a few cc of water in a teaspoon and suck it up using a syringe. Open the beak of the bird and insert the syringe past the opening of the trachea and inject! Note that if the bird is at a very advanced stage of canker and therefore, has an empty stomach, then make sure to have a bottle of water nearby where the bird can go drink water right after.

Give the bird 25mg once a day, every day for 7 days. And try to do it at the same time. Except, if you want, you could, for example, give the first shot on Monday 9:00PM and the second shot on Tuesday morning at 9:00AM. The third shot would be on Wednesdau at 9:00PM and all other shots at 9:00PM.

You do not need to be concerned about the weight of the bird. I've never used Metronidazole on a very young pigeon (less than 6 months). Using Metronidazole repeatedly on the same bird will make the bird resistant to the drug.

Last edited by NumberNine; 21st October 2005 at 07:29 PM..
Posted 26th September 2005, 07:34 AM
Hi amamuffin,

When acv has the "mother" it appears to be unfiltered and has sediment in it that is visible. Bragg's is a common product at Health Food Stores and has a website discussing their product. They've been around a long time. However,
if you ask the staff at the store, they should be able to help you.

I use the garlic oil capsules and currently have the softgels w/parsley oil as well. The concentration of garlic is 500mg's and place at back of throat allowing the bird to swallow itself.

Again, for now, if you have no acv on hand but do have plain white vinegar,
start on that and swap out when you get the acv later today. We're looking for an acidic environment to lower the organism count here, and while the acv is the best, the white will do until you get the acv.

Best,

fp
Posted 26th September 2005, 08:40 AM
Hi Numbernine - I too, rely on metronidazole to treat canker, only I have a different method. You state to give 25g - is that 25 grams? Do you weigh the solution?

I use 1, 250 mg tablet; crush to a really, really fine powder, mix with 10 ml (cc) water, put in a small bottle with a cap (I use a small dark brown bottle that I get through the vet's office), shake the devil out of it and then using a 1 ml (cc) diabetic type syringe draw up the amount I need. Say, for a 200 gram bird, the dosage would be .16 ml (cc) 2 x day. I refrigerate the remaining solution (I recently talked to my vet about the refrigeration part and her advice to me was if I mix it with a solution to refrigerate) and draw the solution from the bottle for the remaining 7-10 days of treatment, always using a sterile syringe for each dose. One 250 mg tablet is usually enough for the 7 days. You MUST always shake it really well just before drawing up the dose. I do think the weight of the bird is important in giving any drug.

This is like deja vu - I think we've discussed this back in the summer?

Amamuffin - you can see there are lots and lots of drugs for canker but whichever you plan to use try to get it right away.

maggie

Tags
apple cider vinegar, avian medicine, avian vet, baby bird, pet pigeon, pet shop, pigeon care, sick pigeon, wildlife rescue, young bird, young pigeon