My Pigeon's infection is not getting better! Please help - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 13th November 2016, 02:50 AM

My Pigeon's infection is not getting better! Please help

So I have been taking in little ones to help them have a better life and now I am stumped as to what to do with
My high flyer Darwin. He and his sister were covered in lice which I have been gently treating but Darwin has an eye infection.
It seems my eye ointment is not working for him
I am using Tobradex which is helping him have use of his eye but not eliminating it in it's entirety. I worry there is a drug resistance.

I bought water soluble tetracycline for birds I also have Galmycin and wanted to know if I should use either?

I am worried about this little guy.
Here he is a few weeks back. Healthy and still very young.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161016_131121.jpg (7.81 MB, 29 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 13th November 2016, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadepoet View Post
So I have been taking in little ones to help them have a better life and now I am stumped as to what to do with
My high flyer Darwin. He and his sister were covered in lice which I have been gently treating but Darwin has an eye infection.

How do you gently treat lice? They need to be gotten rid of which is pretty easy.

It seems my eye ointment is not working for him
I am using Tobradex which is helping him have use of his eye but not eliminating it in it's entirety. I worry there is a drug resistance.

Without knowing what is causing the problem with the eye, then just treating the eye itself with ointment may not help. What is the med in the ointment?

I bought water soluble tetracycline for birds I also have Galmycin and wanted to know if I should use either?

Water soluble meds are not as effective, as you have no way of making sure that the bird gets the needed amount of the drug.

I am worried about this little guy.
Here he is a few weeks back. Healthy and still very young.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 13th November 2016, 12:30 PM
I gently treated it with borax. And and a garden spray of 0.02 Pyrethrin. Plus I manually picked them out.
From what I have seen they are gone. But I will treat again if I have to
All other chem sprays say after the bird is 3 months. So I heed the warning labels and go the least toxic way. It seemed to work.

I was thinking of using a tube syringe to give him the meds

Tobradex is Tobramycin. Given to birds and people.

Posted 13th November 2016, 12:58 PM
If it is something you mix in drinking water, how will you know how much to give him. There is also the chance of aspirating him when giving liquid. Tablets are the way to go when medicating.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 13th November 2016, 01:04 PM
It list how much to give per weight

I bought this from the Canadian pigeon union. Is there a store that is .ca that sells pills?
Posted 13th November 2016, 04:56 PM
how much does it say for the birds weight? And how to give it.

Posted 13th November 2016, 06:37 PM
Could you pls post a photo of the bird showing how his eye looks now? A lot of things cause eye problems. Hope he continues to get better.
Posted 26th November 2016, 02:59 PM
Hey! Sorry my google account didn't notify me of the emails!
I have been using the tetracycline. And it was like he was almost better! And now he is worse. With stringy stinky stuff in his mouth.
So I am freaking out. We won't have funds until possibly Thursday.
I also have Gallimycin would that be good?

Is there something I can help him with now for this? Possibly at a drug store?

Here is a photo I got that stuff out with a Qtip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161126_160749_1480197535128.jpg (1.05 MB, 22 views)
Posted 26th November 2016, 03:03 PM
Also I live In Toronto Canada
Posted 26th November 2016, 03:23 PM
So! Upon more research it says that it should be 4 teaspoons per gallon
I've been giving 1... Which! Is what it said on the package. There was a sticker for pigeons. From what I read online it has to be stronger

http://www.pigeonracingpigeon.com/me...cal-formulary/

So is he Resistant now?
Posted 26th November 2016, 06:46 PM
Your bird has canker and needs to be treated with Metronidazole or another good canker med.
As far as the tetracycline you have been putting in the water. Yes, you may have caused the bacteria to build a resistance to it. Maybe the med you are giving has more in it or something than what you saw online. Don't know. But I told you that putting a med in the drinking water for a bird that is sick is not the best way to dose him. You cannot be sure of how much he is getting. Also, giving antibiotics for long periods of time can also cause yeast infections. Then you will need Nystatin or similar for the yeast, if that happens.

Last edited by Jay3; 26th November 2016 at 06:54 PM..
Posted 26th November 2016, 06:58 PM
Yes you did say that. But I was also told by another professional to treat all of them to stop a wide spread issue. So..
I've been giving it to him in a syringe. Three times a day. Plus what ever else he drinks
I read on here that if it is stringy it can be confused with Canker and be Sinusitis which is treated with Tetracycline.
A yeast infection could be from this stuff.
Will probiotics help for now. Acv? Garlic?

In Toronto we can't buy these meds straight out. We have to go get him seen 120 plus tests 220 (min) wait for 3 days then med probably another 70

My husbands job has slowed down for the holidays so funds are limited. I am at a loss as to what I can do. Been looking all our stuff and what we can sell.

Unless there are places that ship to Ontario?
I still wont be able to order anything until Wed. And then there is shipping time.

I really don't want to lose him!
Posted 26th November 2016, 07:09 PM
http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/me...anker-products

I'm not sure they sell to me but it does say this

"Sometimes Canker is confused with Sinusitis. Sinusitis is a yellowish, stringy substance removed with a Q-Tip or toothpick and will not bleed. This is best treated with Doxyty or Tylan 200"

Very stringy came out with a qtip gently and yellowish kinda whitish yellow.
No bleeding.
Posted 26th November 2016, 07:31 PM
It is hard to tell whether the bird has candida, staph, or canker. The treatments are so very different. We had a squeaker with circovirus who had canker then staph then yeast. Later she turned out also to have malaria and aspergillosis. Can anyone explain how to tell definitively which is which to guide this owner? When the growths did not go away with metronidazole, the vet found out from a culture that now she had staph which called for antibiotics, I think baytril, then treating tat caused yeast which needed anti yeast meds, I think fluconazole. Each left growths in the birds mouth. There were slight color differences. Hope your bird is better soon. Hopefully someone more expert than me will answer soon. How is the bird eating? Pooping? Any other symptoms now beside the mouth growths? How is his breathing, energy level, ? How old is he now?

Last edited by cwebster; 26th November 2016 at 07:36 PM..
Posted 26th November 2016, 10:58 PM
Well for two weeks he had just an eye thing no stinky mouth. So I am thinking Candida.

Is there a chance I could find over the counter meds for that?

Tags
infection eye