Need advice for injured pigeon - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 7th August 2019, 07:11 PM

Need advice for injured pigeon

I live in Cadillac Michigan usa. Was at the park with my kids and my daughter noticed a pigeon laying on the ground leaning forward unable to stand or fly. after trying to see if it could stand or fly I picked it up and we brought it home with us to try and help it. Right now I have it in a large box with a lid keeping it in the dark and away from noise as much as I can to limit the stress on it. At first I thought it's leg may be hurt but it has some use of both feet just very weakly, unable to stand on it's own, the only protest it had to being picked up was a few full flaps of it's wings, the pigeon won't hold it's head up for long before it goes back down slowly till it rests on the floor. Its been pooping alot buy only small amounts and florescent green in color. Not sure what to do, don't have enough money for a vet for it, but also don't want to leave it to die. Any help will be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 7th August 2019, 07:42 PM
Green poop suggests starvation. Can you give him some wild bird or pigeon seed mix? Also defrosted frozen peas. Thank you for helping him! Others will answer soon i hope.
Posted 7th August 2019, 07:51 PM
Sad to say the pigeon just passed away a few minutes ago, all I had was some stale bread that I broke up in to small pieces, and placed around it just in case, also had a small bowl of room temp water about a half inch deep, that I put a small pinch of surger and salt in, another website had that as a suggestion as a electrolytes solution in case of dehydration. Don't know if it was the right thing to do or not, any tips for if I run in to a similar situation again? Would rather get the advice now and not need it then to need it later and not have it ready to use.

Last edited by Vencen; 7th August 2019 at 09:06 PM..

Posted 8th August 2019, 07:50 AM
Am sorry he didnt make it. Thank you for helping him.
Posted 8th August 2019, 09:47 AM
Bright green and creamy droppings are starvation droppings. A pigeon that is getting enough food, will produce brown bulky droppings. You've done nothing wrong. Sometimes they are just too far gone to be rescued.

Next time you find one, you can encourage him to drink water by dipping the tip of the beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water. Best food to forcefeed, will be defrosted green peas.