Need help with health kit and dosages+use - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 27th November 2016, 07:14 PM
Exclamation

Need help with health kit and dosages+use

So I basically made a health kit for pigeons and need some help to know if I am giving the correct dosage and if everything is in order and if I am treating for the right thing. Please correct my mistakes or help fill in the blanks Or add more imp medicine to treat common diseases. Many thanks ! Feel free to sticky once list is fully completed so that other users may benefit from it. NOTE-Will update list as I gain new info.

Supplements-
Calcium
Garlic pills
Yogurt
Grit

To treat wounds or remove external parasites-
Tweezers
Antibiotic ointment
Iodine Tincture
Vaseline
Eyedrops

Basic care-
syringe
Heating pad

Medication-
Antibacterials
1)Amoxicillin(for Salmonella, E. coli, Strep. & Staph. species of bacteria)
Dosage: 25 - 50 mg/Bird divided daily( 3 times a day total 50 mg but divided when given) For baby divided and given in 2 doses. 12 mg every 12 hours)
Days-10 - 14 days

2)Erythromycin(for respiratory infections)
Dosage:50 mg/bird divided twice a day
Days- 7 - 10 days

3)Doxycycline (respiratory infections) Note- do not use Calcium sources while using this drug.
Dosage-10 - 50 mg/ bird once a day.
Days- Need someone to advise me on this

(Canker)
1)Metronidazole (Flagyl)
Dosage-25-50 mg per pigeon per day
Days-4 - 6 days

Wormers-
1)Ivermectin ( Broad spectrum wormer. Effective against Ascarids (roundworms), Capillaria (hairworms), and stomach wall worms) Does not work for tape worms though. Higher dosage is needed to treat roundworms
ascarids and tetrameres.
Dosage-500 -1000 ug per bird ( 1-2 drops)
Days- give for 1 day then wait for 12 days and repeat again.

2)Pyrantel pamoate ( Round worms only)
Dosage : 1-2 mg per pigeon
Days- 1-2 days then repeat in 3 weeks.

3)Praziquantel( Tape worms and flukes)
Dosage:6 mg per pigeon once (1/4 of a cat-size Droncit tablet).
Days-Need someone to advise me on this

Last edited by Dotty; 29th January 2017 at 12:49 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 27th November 2016, 08:27 PM
Dotty, where did you get this list? There are many different opinions on what drugs to have and for what. Even opinions about dosages. And some have been updated.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Last edited by Jay3; 27th November 2016 at 09:22 PM..
Posted 27th November 2016, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Dotty, where did you get this list? There are many different opinions on what drugs to have and for what. Even opinions about dosages.
I used both these sites as references-
http://www.homingpigeon.com/article/Dosage.html
http://www.pigeoncote.com/vet/formul...#anthelmintics

The drugs I have currently is the ones I could find locally =/.
I will start ordering pigeon medicine once I have gathered enough money.
I just keep those ones brought locally in case of emergency or I can't find a substitute for it.

Posted 28th November 2016, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
So I basically made a health kit for pigeons and need some help to know if I am giving the correct dosage and if everything is in order and if I am treating for the right thing. Please correct my mistakes or help fill in the blanks Or add more imp medicine to treat common diseases. Many thanks ! Feel free to sticky once list is fully completed so that other users may benefit from it. NOTE-Will update list as I gain new info.

Supplements-
Calcium
Garlic pills
Yogurt
Grit
You can use a Hi-Calcium grit, which would be good. You have listed Calcium, but not in what form. Some use oyster shell for them to take when needed. I find that it is usually made for chickens and too large for pigeons. I buy York calcium chips which are the size of grit. Without vit. D3, they can't absorb the calcium they get. Birds that fly outside get it from the sun, but house birds don't usually get the direct rays of the sun. So they need a source of vit. D3. A good supplement like CalciBoost, or CalciVet in the UK or similar calcium/D3 supplement is important.

You have listed yogurt, but if you can buy it whether it be locally or online, probiotics made for pigeons would be a better choice to have on hand. Yogurt if you need it and don't have probiotics.
Garlic pills are something that I wouldn't use. I know some do, but many wouldn't, and don't see them as something for a health kit. More of a choice if people want to use it or not.

To treat wounds or remove external parasites-
Tweezers
Antibiotic ointment
Iodine Tincture
Vaseline
Eyedrops

An antibiotic ointment is good, but a cream would be even better for a bird, as it wouldn't mess up the feathers as much.
I keep Betadine rather than iodine
Eyedrops-make sure they are something okay for birds.

Basic care-
syringe
Heating pad

Medication-
Antibacterials
1)Amoxicillin(for Salmonella, E. coli, Strep. & Staph. species of bacteria)
Dosage: 25 - 50 mg/Bird divided daily
Days-10 - 14 days

2)Erythromycin(for respiratory infections)
Dosage:50 mg/bird divided twice a day
Days- 7 - 10 days

3)Doxycycline (respiratory infections) Note- do not use Calcium sources while using this drug.
Dosage-10 - 50 mg/ bird once a day.
Days- Need someone to advise me on this

Most antibiotics would be given for 10 days, then longer if needed. Doxy, if given for some things, like chlamydia could go for 35 to 45 days. As with most antibiotics, all depends on what they are being treated for, and how well it is working. Not one single answer.
You would pull any calcium for any of the "cyclines" and also for Baytril (Enrofloxacyn), which by the way I feel should be on any list of need to have meds.
Also when giving antibiotics, it messes with their normal gut bacteria, and can cause a yeast infection so good to have Nystatin or similar on hand.

(Canker)
1)Metronidazole (Flagyl)
Dosage-25-50 mg per pigeon per day
Days-4 - 6 days

Metro should be given for 5 to 7 days and I normally do 10 days to be sure I've knocked it down. A squeaker would get 25 to 30 mgs, once daily, while an adult would normally get the 50 mgs once daily.
Metro is usually very effective on canker. However, it's good to have a couple of different meds on hand to avoid resistance buildup. After using a drug for a flare up a couple of times, then the next time the birds get canker, you may want to try a different med. Sometimes you can run across a resistant canker, and this is often better treated with 2 meds at the same time. Also if you have many birds, good to have something to be able to treat in the water for flock treatment. If you have a sick bird, it is always better to treat individually with a tablet or whatever, to be sure they are getting enough of the med, but you would then want to treat the flock as a preventative. So also good to have something that mixes well in the drinking water

Wormers-
1)Ivermectin ( Broad spectrum wormer. Effective against Ascarids (roundworms), Capillaria (hairworms), and stomach wall worms) Does not work for tape worms though. Higher dosage is needed to treat roundworms
ascarids and tetrameres.
Dosage-500 -1000 ug per bird ( 1-2 drops)
Days- give for 1 day then wait for 12 days and repeat again.

2)Pyrantel pamoate ( Round worms only)
Dosage : 1-2 mg per pigeon
Days- 1-2 days then repeat in 3 weeks.

3)Praziquantel( Tape worms and flukes)
Dosage:6 mg per pigeon once (1/4 of a cat-size Droncit tablet).
Days-Need someone to advise me on this

Good to have a couple of different meds for this, so as not to build resistance. There are many wormers out there. Most wormers are given once, then again in 12 to 14 days. Some also give at 3rd week. It's helpful to understand the worms life cycle, as it doesn't affect the eggs, just the worms that have hatched. So knowing how long they take to hatch is helpful.

There are many different meds and wormers out there, all depends on what the bacteria is sensitive too, what works and what you can get in your area. Wormers, it is helpful to know what kind of worms a bird has. Roundworms are more common in most areas, but they can have different worms at the same time also. So all depends.
Some people swear by one thing, and some another.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 28th November 2016, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
There are many different meds and wormers out there, all depends on what the bacteria is sensitive too, what works and what you can get in your area. Wormers, it is helpful to know what kind of worms a bird has. Roundworms are more common in most areas, but they can have different worms at the same time also. So all depends.
Some people swear by one thing, and some another.
Thank you so much for the the info =).

For calcium I use the one is formulated for pets (birds,cats,dogs etc). They are in very small crushed pieces.

If I keep the PMV pigeon I have in the sun light would it be better ?. Here its extremely hot sometimes or very cold and winter is coming soon. So I could keep him out for a very short period of time. Also bleach works in killing the the virus that the floor has been contaminated with ? Don't want the other birds to get it since it is very contagious. Will also purchase vit.D3 in its drug form soon. Is it it better for it to get natural sun light or the one in drug form ?

For eye drops the ones I have is-
Physiol( sodium Chloride at 0.9 percent sterile saline solution)
Colircusi Gentamicin 0.3 percent.

Are these two safe ? If not can give me some names of those eye drops safe for birds and dosages and how many days to treat ?

Sorry for the extra questions and thank you !

Last edited by Dotty; 28th November 2016 at 07:30 PM..
Posted 28th November 2016, 08:39 PM
Quote:

For calcium I use the one is formulated for pets (birds,cats,dogs etc). They are in very small crushed pieces.

A calcium supplement meant for birds, that also contains the needed vit. D3 would be best. A couple of times a week.

If I keep the PMV pigeon I have in the sun light would it be better ?. Here its extremely hot sometimes or very cold and winter is coming soon. So I could keep him out for a very short period of time.

Not sure what you are asking. Bringing him outside in the cold weather wouldn't be a good idea. Great in the nice weather, but not during the colder months.

Also bleach works in killing the the virus that the floor has been contaminated with ? Don't want the other birds to get it since it is very contagious.

There are other disinfectants that don't smell strong like bleach that would be better for the birds. Pigeon supplies sell them.

Will also purchase vit.D3 in its drug form soon. Is it it better for it to get natural sun light or the one in drug form ?

Again, you would be better off getting the calcium/vit. D supplement, like CalciBoost or similar. They come together in the right amounts and are easier to give.

Are these two safe ? If not can give me some names of those eye drops safe for birds and dosages and how many days to treat ?

Yes, they would be okay.

.................................................. ........

Last edited by Jay3; 28th November 2016 at 09:23 PM..
Posted 28th December 2016, 09:40 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:

If I keep the PMV pigeon I have in the sun light would it be better ?. Here its extremely hot sometimes or very cold and winter is coming soon. So I could keep him out for a very short period of time. Also bleach works in killing the the virus that the floor has been contaminated with ? Don't want the other birds to get it since it is very contagious. Will also purchase vit.D3 in its drug form soon. Is it it better for it to get natural sun light or the one in drug form ?

This is an awesome list, thanks so much Dotty! I am online now looking to order what I don't already have on this list...Cheers

Tags
health kit, pigeons and doves.