need squeaker feeding help asap - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 31st May 2019, 07:00 PM

need squeaker feeding help asap

After deciding to let a feral pigeon I had rescued come and go as he wants, It has been lonely here, so I decided to get an actually domesticated pigeon, but finding a pigeon near me isn't easy. However, Chinatown is full of Poultry markets that carry all kind of live poultry, and after handing over $6 I was handed a pigeon in a paper bag, and shooed away by the Chinese guys.

I am fairly knowledgable with caring for pet pigeons, but I got a lot more, or actually LESS than I had expected. I think she is a she... has a frown, not sure if that is accurate. ANyways, she is a LOT younger than I had expected. I am attaching pictures. She doesn't have the yellow fluffy feathers, but definitely first real feathers, and has a very "baby" nose and stuff. Also, her poop is brown and white. AND finally, while editing pics I took of her on my 50" tv, she started squeaking...
Do I need to go grab some baby bird formula?
So, what do I feed her? As in, has she ever HAD solid food? I really doubt they even bother with switching them to solid food, or giving me any info, they were expecting me to eat her.. I hadn't even considered the possibility.

I did give her a bath, as she had poop all over her, and teh ends of all teh feathers were stained., and when i put her in the bowl of water, she drank a LOT, so she CAN drink.

SO, ideas?

[IMG]https://mail.zoho.com/zm/ImageDisplay?

Last edited by Astrodragon; 31st May 2019 at 07:10 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 31st May 2019, 08:46 PM
Hopefully someone more expert than me will answer soon. Thank you for rescuing the lovely bird! Would see if she eats pigeon seed mix and if not try baby bird formula.
Posted 1st June 2019, 12:06 AM
Did you offer her a bowl of small seed? First try this. If she pecks at the seed, make sure she is swallowing them and not just scattering them around.

Otherwise, defrosted peas will be the best option. Get a bag of frozen peas, defrost a few and do the next: put her on your lap facing to the right (if you are righthanded). Reach with your lefthand over the body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. If she spits it out, then you are not putting it in deep enough. This will get easier rith practise.

Feed her 40 peas 3 times a day, total about 120. Always leave a small bowl of peas with her, she will quickly learn to eat peas by herself and then start adding small seeds.

Posted 1st June 2019, 10:52 AM
I didn't realize my message posted, had issues attaching an image then it said my account was suspended. Anyways, she is pecking at steel-cut oatmeal, but just picking it up, tapping a few times and dropping it. I am just heading to get some peas and corn as this seems the best way to start now also. Going forward, do i need to bother with formula and syringes? I might be mistaken on age, maybe 3-4 weeks, I haven't been able to get an accurate ago of when live squabs go for sale or when they are weaned, but 3-4 weeks seems average squab age.

As I kinda stated in my last post, I have experience caring for pigeons, but AFTER the weaning age So I am in lost territory here, as far as what I do for care at this age. I am getting very conflicting info on weaning age and etc at this point in my search, it will become more accureate as i understand it more
Posted 1st June 2019, 10:58 AM
OK! 5th time is the charm haha. This was JUST after the first bath to clean up the yellow stained fether tips and poo all over her. yuck

Posted 1st June 2019, 10:58 AM
No need to bother with formula and syringes. He is too old for that. Syringe feeding is for babies less than 2 weeks old. Feeding peas is the best option for one your age.
Posted 1st June 2019, 12:10 PM
I gave her some peas, and while she thoroughly hated the process, she eventually picked it up and just had to get the pea merely between her beak before it got sucked down.

Now for a worry, as soon as I finished feeding her and set her down, she shot an impressive stream of clear diahrrea out her bum, looked almost exactly like water. Yesterday and earlier this morning, she was popping out sticky brown and white balls.

She has been drinking a lot of water. Also, I know that they don't fed squab for 24-48 hours before slaughter, so I guess the same rule might also apply to live squab being sold. However, could this also be a bad sign? I would assume she was treated for canker and all the other stuff, but then again, do squab destined for the market even get treated for anything?
Posted 1st June 2019, 12:22 PM
It's possible she might have canker. Drinking lots of water is 1 of the symptoms. Have you checked inside her mouth for yellowish growths? Will you be able to get hold of metronidazole if necessary?

Give her another day to check if there's improvement. She might have been severely dehydrated and starved. Her droppings will be green and mushy while eating peas.
Posted 1st June 2019, 12:33 PM
Another quick question, for the rescue I had, I would make feed by gettign lentils, split peas, steel-cut oatmeal, barley, rice, quinua, millet, and hemp seeds, and mix it together, since it is hard to find pigeon feed in the city. Is that a decent blend or should I buy crumbles or some other pigeon feed from Amazon for my new bird?
Posted 1st June 2019, 12:37 PM
I dont see any growths in her beak. I can buy pigeon specific canker treatment from Amazon with same day/next day shipping, or I can get it at cvs/walgreens from products intended for other uses, but they have metronidazole capsules. The dose could be iffy if I do it that way. ANy disease prevention measures I should take now, while she is young?
Posted 1st June 2019, 12:40 PM
You can stick to what you've got, maybe just add some red sorghum seed as well. Give him time to eat the peas properly, and then start mixing in some of the seeds you have. Most of my rescues always learned to eat the sorghum seeds first. He will probably stick to eating only 1 type of seed in the beginning. So always make sure there's enough of those available.
Posted 1st June 2019, 12:47 PM
I will get the canker meds from Amazon if I were you. Meditrich by Medpet works best. Canker is such a common disease, it always helps to have the meds ready for just in case.

I won't treat for other diseases. Rather keep her healthy by giving regular probiotics and acv in the drinking water.
Posted 2nd June 2019, 06:18 PM
She is doing better, after hand feeding her peas and corn twice, she caught on, and slowly started eating the peas, she still has issues with corn, but, this bird is eating NON STOP! It is insane.. I just kept refilling the bowl because I am sure she was starved before going to market, but now, how much SHOULD I feed her? I know how t feed an adult pigeon, I accidentally left food out all day for the last pigeon, and big mistake when it came to behavior and training issues.. However, for a fledgling, how should I do this?

Right now I am giving her canned peas, carrots, and corn, and I just started adding in partially cooked steel-cut oatmeal, brown rice, and barley, along with some lentils i had left over, but it is primarily the canned veggies. Her diahrrhe is come and go, but she doesn't look like she has a super-soaker shover up her.... It is strange though, she will have normalish round poops, then all of a sudden, watery toothpaste, then back to normal. I have heard that you can give them a bit of yogurt on rare occasion to help build up the probiotic bacteria, is that true? I have a feeling she might nee d probiotics, especially with the fasting I assume she went through. I will buy vitamins and pro-biotics off amazon for normal use, but is yogurt fine in the short term?

She is also squeaking up a storm, oh I have a headache haha, just non-stop squeak squeak squeak.
Posted 3rd June 2019, 04:21 AM
Let her eat as much as she wants to. She was probably starved and will soon realize food is always available. Poor thing. Don't give her canned food, contains a lot of salt. Rather go for the frozen green peas that you can defrost in lukewarm water.

Don't give yochurt. Pigeons can't digest milkproducts. Rather put apple cider vinegar in her drinking water (5 ml acv to 1 l water). She will definitely benefit from probiotics and vitamins.
Posted 5th June 2019, 08:42 PM
Looks like a racing homer. She can eat regular pigeon seeds. No corn