No diagnosis - what to treat for? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 21st August 2019, 04:10 AM

No diagnosis - what to treat for?

Hello

I volunteer at a local Wildlife rescue where we have eight pigeons that aren't eating and are very skinny, the cost would prevent us from having faeces samples tested but hopefully we can do some testing ourselves in the near future.

No visible canker or yeast in the mouth, the faeces does vary but is mostly dark green some well formed and others not, breathing okay, fluffed up.

For the last four day's they've been given 37.5mg Clinamycin daily and are fed a hand feeding formula without any noticeable improvement.

It's difficult knowing what to treat for, Coccidiosis, Worms, Salmonella, E Coli?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 21st August 2019, 09:21 AM
Without diagnostics , everyone would be playing a guessing game .

Stools are a clue, bright green can mean starvation.. but other things too..

With antibiotics the stool would get worse, as it is killing off any good gut bacteria they already may have. So be careful dosing them hap hazard with meds.

If I had to try without diagnostics , I would try to boost the immunities, by using a hand feeding formula like this.
https://store.harrisonsbirdfoods.com...info/RECOVERY/

Keep them warmish, and have nystatin in hand for any yeast infection that may appear in the crop from antibiotic use.

Crop feeding is direct and may need to be used if not already.

If the birds have a virus, then they may not improve or some could pull through after it runs it’s course with supportive care.

I would monitor for canker and have flagyl in hand just in case.
Posted 21st August 2019, 04:57 PM
I forget which hand feeding formula we crop feed them with but it is a good quality one, I'll check tomorrow.

I'll also keep checking for canker and yeast.

It could well be hap hazard giving them antibiotics but it just feels wrong to be not trying something, I'll make sure that they receive their probiotics in a couple of day's.

Posted 22nd August 2019, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2007 View Post
I forget which hand feeding formula we crop feed them with but it is a good quality one, I'll check tomorrow.

I'll also keep checking for canker and yeast.

It could well be hap hazard giving them antibiotics but it just feels wrong to be not trying something, I'll make sure that they receive their probiotics in a couple of day's.
I can understand that, but also know it can make things worse, esp for diarrhea. But they should be right again with probios for birds gut flora.

Sometimes really sick birds and the use of a medication which does not help them is just adding more stress. Medication can be harsh on birds if not using the right one. And misused antibiotics can cause resistance.
Posted 22nd August 2019, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
I can understand that, but also know it can make things worse, esp for diarrhea. But they should be right again with probios for birds gut flora.

Sometimes really sick birds and the use of a medication which does not help them is just adding more stress. Medication can be harsh on birds if not using the right one. And misused antibiotics can cause resistance.
They've been on the antibiotics for five days now, I suppose continuing for two more day's to finish the course isn't going to change much or do you think I should stop now?

I've ordered some of the Harrison's hand feeding formula so hopefully that will help.
Posted 22nd August 2019, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2007 View Post
They've been on the antibiotics for five days now, I suppose continuing for two more day's to finish the course isn't going to change much or do you think I should stop now?

I've ordered some of the Harrison's hand feeding formula so hopefully that will help.
Id go ahead and finish the two days..

Tags
not eating, skinny, unknown