no neck feathers - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 10th August 2019, 11:29 AM

no neck feathers

I have a pair of doves adopted from an animal shelter. They have been w me for two years and enjoy a nice life although as a pair they do not seem to be fertile. Curiously, the male has no neck feathers. It was suggested that he was plucked at by other birds before he came to the shelter. I assumed they would grow back by now but they haven't. He is rendered a bit hideous looking because instead of a beautiful dark ring and pale white feather bib he is naked! And when he calls (his call is like an African dove), puffing up, it looks so strange! I'm used to it by now and I love my birds regardless, but I have done a tiny bit of research on the subject and have added bird hemp to the water, which is recommended for plucking. The thing is, he is not noticeably self plucking. Sometimes, but not all the time, not most of the time. I wonder why his feathers never grew back??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 11th August 2019, 05:45 AM
That area could of been damaged beyond feather repair. If you do not know his history then itís possible. He also could have a genetic disease .
Posted 11th August 2019, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Curiously, the male has no neck feathers. It was suggested that he was plucked at by other birds before he came to the shelter. I assumed they would grow back by now but they haven't. He is rendered a bit hideous looking because instead of a beautiful dark ring and pale white feather bib he is naked!
Im not sure if this applies to your bird,
But theres a breed of pigeons that do not grow feathers on neck. You can google Naked Neck Pigeons.

Also, does your bird get sufficient Vit A and Sunlight for Vit D?
Both these vits are crucial for healthy feather growth.
Source : internet search.

Tags
barbary dove