One egg only, PLEASE HELP - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 10th August 2019, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husain110 View Post
Guys
Is it possible to combine sulpha trimethprim and enrofloxacin.

This would mean that my birds now get 3 antibiotics for roughly14 days.
The reason is i just managed to get a vaccine called mycosalmovir from poland.

Please guys any help.
Are you still having symptoms from your pigeons ? If so what exactly are they.

If you can not get them tested for disease to see what they may have then just throwing antibiotics in the mix can be as harmful, some do cause sterility and most cause digestive problems.. so you have to treat the disease or the type of bacteria they have. If they even do. There is no reason to use such strong medicine if they do not need it, as wishful thinking does not cure.

Now what exactly as of today, what are their symptoms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 10th August 2019, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husain110 View Post
Guys
Is it possible to combine sulpha trimethprim and enrofloxacin.

This would mean that my birds now get 3 antibiotics for roughly14 days.
The reason is i just managed to get a vaccine called mycosalmovir from poland.

Please guys any help.
Are you still having symptoms from your pigeons ? If so what exactly are they.

If you can not get them tested for disease to see what they may have then just throwing antibiotics in the mix can be as harmful, some do cause sterility and most cause digestive problems.. so you have to treat the disease or the type of bacteria they have. If they even do. There is no reason to use such strong medicine if they do not need it, as wishful thinking does not cure.

Now what exactly as of today, what are their symptoms?
Thank you for replying

After they were diagnosed with Ecoli, i used ciprofloxacin for 5 days. Prior to that my symptoms were dead in shell.
Now for the past few months the only symptom i see is rotten egg, both eggs go bad after few days off incubation.
I was told since they fly well and their stool is dry and solid dont breed them till you could arrange for vaccine.
Now i have obtained mycosalmovir and hoping i could clear whatever is present.
Testing is expensive here so i am hoping i could skip it.
Posted 11th August 2019, 07:04 AM
Salmonella is known to cause dead in shell.

Chlamydia is known to cause dead in shell:
Breeding

Stress for a stock bird is breeding. Stressed stock birds will shed the organisms in their droppings, saliva and eggs. If the Chlamydia is in the egg, the developing embryo is weakened and can either die during incubation, during the hatching process or as a nestling or, if it survives, be a retarded youngster. In a nestbox heavily contaminated with Chlamydia, the developing youngsters become weakened and die. If these things have happened in earlier years, and breeding has commenced, it is too late to treat the stock birds. However, medication (usually doxycycline) can be given before mating to decrease the level of Chlamydia in the stock birds' system. This means that they will then require more stress before they start to shed the organism.

The length of treatment depends on the need, usually 7 - 30 days. If your loft has a history of chlamydial problems during breeding, a prebreeding doxycycline course is a good idea. Chlamydia can be completely cleared with a 30 - 45-day course of doxycycline. However, this is rarely done because the weaned youngsters will be exposed to the organism later in life and may in fact be more vulnerable to illness through this lack of exposure and the resultant low level of natural immunity. Doxycycline, like other antibiotics, causes disruption of the normal bowel bacteria, interfering with vitamin metabolism and calcium absorption. It is therefore important that preventative courses are completed several weeks before pairing and there is benefit in giving the birds probiotics, vitamins and calcium supplements following them.

Now , are you sure they were fertile eggs that were rotten ? And The embryos died. Or were they just bum un fertile eggs that rotted?

Posted 30th August 2019, 03:10 AM
hello guys
i read most off the previous and old treads related to my situation and the best option was to
go for culture and sensitivity. the report and result are below.
this time other than E coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa came positive.
Not only have i ever have this in my loft but i have also never heard off it.
according to the sensitivity report marbofloxcin seems positive for both the bacteria.
anyone have experiencereport d1.jpg

report d2.jpg with marbofloxacin

thanks
husain
Posted 30th August 2019, 05:38 AM
Iíve heard of it, while researching hot tubs, but not in birds..

Here is a link that may give you some ideas.
http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/ar...seudomonas.htm
Posted 30th August 2019, 09:21 AM
Hi Husain, years ago I used Marbofloxacin with pigeons but to treat different situations than yours; the vet gave me it to treat my broken wing pigeon Apple (she had an infected injury and also needed surgery) and a few other pigeons (one who was badly injured and needed surgery, etc).

I looked for the old packages, I only found the one in the pic: Marbofloxacin 20 mg (btw I just noticed that it has expired, I will throw it away and just keep the empty package for the dosage instructions...).

Anyway, in my case the dosage was:

- a quarter of tablet twice a day (morning and evening) for 5 days.

I remember that I also used the Marbofloxacin 5 mg (to treat Apple) but honestly I don't remember the dosage.

I have never heard about pseudomonas aeruginosa so I'm sorry I can't help you with the right dosage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190830_144021_1567175286520.jpg (1.49 MB, 28 views)
Posted 2nd September 2019, 07:19 PM
I would not have thrown the tablets away. If kept well, they can last years past the expiration date. The military has done studies on this. At 10 to 15 years they were still at like something like 80 percent strength.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 3rd September 2019, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I would not have thrown the tablets away. If kept well, they can last years past the expiration date. The military has done studies on this. At 10 to 15 years they were still at like something like 80 percent strength.
That's interesting, thanks so much for the info, Jay. I heard that tablets, if kept well, can last a while after the expiration date but I didn't know that they can last for so many years.

So I'm going to keep them, fortunately I haven't brought them yet to the kiosk of expired medicines.
Posted 4th September 2019, 02:15 PM
thank for the reply guys
i have obtained 2 forms off marbo the one in the pic and an inject able,
which is wise to use.
can i dissolve the tablets in water, the reason i ask i am no longer confident with tablets last month i had a terrible accident.
I emailed the manufacturer of the tablet and still waiting for a reply on dosage.
Posted 5th September 2019, 08:09 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the accident.

I have never used the injectable form. Honestly I don't know if you can dissolve the tablets in water, I gave them to my birds directly in the beak. Instead of putting them in the beak with your fingers you can use a sort of a small "shovel". I use it also for handfeeding my disabled birds and it works really well. If you want, I can explain you how to make it (you just need paper like a magazine cover).

Anyway, I looked online for information about Marbofloxacin and I read here

https://www.drugs.com/vet/zeniquin.html

that "The compound is soluble in water; however, solubility decreases in alkaline conditions".

Here I read that you can use the injectable form also in drinking water

https://pigeons.mercasystems.com/ind...-products.html