One egg only, PLEASE HELP - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 28th January 2019, 02:14 PM

One egg only, PLEASE HELP

hello
All my pigeons (skycutter) are laying one egg only, this would be their second clutch. The eggs dont hatch they have the chick and the yolk present in them when i throw them out (parents stop incubating).

Based on the forums similar questions i tried treating them for salmonella i gave them amoxicillin from verselle laga.
They seem healthy and eat well.

Please any help would mean alot. I have local veterinary pharmacy but no avian doctors available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 28th January 2019, 03:53 PM
Cool

nesting cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husain110 View Post
hello
All my pigeons (skycutter) are laying one egg only, this would be their second clutch. The eggs dont hatch they have the chick and the yolk present in them when i throw them out (parents stop incubating).

Based on the forums similar questions i tried treating them for salmonella i gave them amoxicillin from verselle laga.

Please any help would mean alot. I have local veterinary pharmacy but no avian doctors available.
dear Husain,-the nesting period is 18 days,thats when the parents open their present,-the developed lungs need O2,-UNlike a chick[chicken]-which developes a hard tip/beak for which to breakout,--pigeons[squabs]Donot break out of the shell,-if the parents have misjudged the due-date,simply let them be as the parents will handle what we perceive a problem..i hope this helps,-sincerely james waller
Posted 28th January 2019, 06:09 PM
How many pairs are you talking about? How long do they sit on the eggs? How old are the parents? They may be too young to breed. Where are you located?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 29th January 2019, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswaller View Post
Quote:
hello

dear Husain,-the nesting period is 18 days,thats when the parents open their present,-the developed lungs need O2,-UNlike a chick[chicken]-which developes a hard tip/beak for which to breakout,--pigeons[squabs]Donot break out of the shell,-if the parents have misjudged the due-date,simply let them be as the parents will handle what we perceive a problem..i hope this helps,-sincerely james waller[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
They stayed put for about 25 days give or take and this happened twice.
Posted 29th January 2019, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
How many pairs are you talking about? How long do they sit on the eggs? How old are the parents? They may be too young to breed. Where are you located?
Thank you for replying

About 8 pairs all of them gave me a single egg, one did lay 2 both fertile but failed to hatch. They sit ahout 20 to 28 days max. All off them are 2017 birds.

I have given them amoxicillin for 5 days and them probiotics.
I live in Dubai where the weather is cloudy and little windy.
Posted 29th January 2019, 09:07 PM
Please if any one could help, they all could have a underlying disease that would make me loose them.

They seem fine just some non green loose dropping sometimes.

Thanks guys
Posted 30th January 2019, 05:09 AM
Treat them for salmonella. Shop pigeon supply for the meds. Follow directions carefully. You want to make sure their loft is dry and clean, and they get clean water in a clean drinker everyday, bleach and rinse the drinkers and feeders routinely.
Posted 30th January 2019, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
Treat them for salmonella. Shop pigeon supply for the meds. Follow directions carefully. You want to make sure their loft is dry and clean, and they get clean water in a clean drinker everyday, bleach and rinse the drinkers and feeders routinel
y.
I treated them with amoxicillin for 5 days from verselle laga.
Use a vet special solution to clean the loft every 48 hours or so
Drinkers and feed tray after every meal.
I believe its ecoli could it be

Thanks for helping me dear
Posted 30th January 2019, 06:09 AM
Quote:

I would retreat with doxycycline.

Quote “ Salmonellae are spread by:

inhalation of dust containing the pathogen
contaminated feed (insects, mice, rats)
dirty feed troughs and water bowls
mating
transmission from the hen to the egg
feeding the nestlings with infected crop milk and billing
chronic carriers: pigeons that appear healthy after surviving salmonella infection, but shed the pathogen at irregular intervals and thus pose a risk to the current flock and their progeny.”

I would use fake eggs for now . Do not let them start raising young before a year of age.
Posted 30th January 2019, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Quote:

I would retreat with doxycycline.

Quote “ Salmonellae are spread by:

inhalation of dust containing the pathogen
contaminated feed (insects, mice, rats)
dirty feed troughs and water bowls
mating
transmission from the hen to the egg
feeding the nestlings with infected crop milk and billing
chronic carriers: pigeons that appear healthy after surviving salmonella infection, but shed the pathogen at irregular intervals and thus pose a risk to the current flock and their progeny.”

I would use fake eggs for now . Do not let them start raising young before a year of age.
Are you positive its salmonella. Is there a chance it could be e coli.

Should i look for any symptoms. The vaccine salbac is banned in my country is there any alternative.

Thanks for replying, its amazing people are helping, here they just shrug thier shoulders.

Thanks again
Posted 30th January 2019, 06:31 AM
Quote:

Should i look for any symptoms. The vaccine salbac is banned in my country is there any alternative.

Thanks for replying, its amazing people are helping, here they just shrug thier shoulders.

Thanks again
Well , the dead in shell or poor hatchability is a major symptom of salmonella,
Do they have ecoli symptoms? ( Poor droppings etc) I would treat for the symptoms they are showing. Guessing is hit or miss unless you have a vet to work with that can test the droppings.

It is difficult, as said here.... “ Next to the difficulties in diagnosing the disease, the main problem is treatment. Actually there is no really good treatment for the illness. Antibiotics and vaccination are both not 100% effective. Most antibiotics can’t clear the carriers of the disease. There is even a lot of scientific data that most antibiotics induce more carriers than without treatment. Only enrofloxacine seems to have best effects also on carriers, but in practice there are still a lot of carriers of the disease after long treatment and high dosage. New scientific data show that with a very high dosage of enrofloxacine there couldn’t be any Salmonella found any more in internal organs after autopsy. Still in practice it is better to do a good vaccination schedule after antibiotic treatment.

It’s important to let the pairs mature before letting them raise young, and use only healthy pairs, and look at reasons why to let them.”

Last edited by Ladygrey; 30th January 2019 at 06:39 AM..
Posted 30th January 2019, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again
Well , the dead in shell or poor hatchability is a major symptom of salmonella,
Do they have ecoli symptoms? ( Poor droppings etc) I would treat for the symptoms they are showing. Guessing is hit or miss unless you have a vet to work with that can test the droppings.

It’s important to let the pairs mature before letting them raise young, and use only healthy pairs, and look at reasons why to let them.
Thank you for replying

What about vaccines?
I am locating a laboratory in my neighboring country they might help me out. What shall i give them for the while

I use acv and flax oil for 2 days
And garlic oil for 2 days
And weat germ for 2 days
One day humgry
Then i give all in one vitamin and amino acid.
Posted 30th January 2019, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Thank you for replying

What about vaccines?
I am locating a laboratory in my neighboring country they might help me out. What shall i give them for the while

And weat germ for 2 days
One day humgry
I would treat them with medications to combat salmonella, then Vaccinate after that.

Supportive care is important, seeds, legumes, grains, that are clean. Rest.. Use fake eggs until they are a year old or so. If the lab can test for diseases then try to let them hatch their real eggs after that, if they are clear. If they are carriers then you may not want to breed them. Getting healthy stock from the beginning if you can. Knowing the health of birds purchased is not always easy. But I definatly would not breed birds that carry salmonella. But that is what I do not necessarily what others do.

Last edited by Ladygrey; 30th January 2019 at 07:10 AM..
Posted 30th January 2019, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for replying

What about vaccines?

And weat germ for 2 days
One day humgry
I would treat them with medications to combat salmonella, then Vaccinate after that.

Supportive care is important, seeds, legumes, grains, that are clean. Rest.. Use fake eggs until they are a year old or so. If the lab can test for diseases then try to let them hatch their real eggs after that, if they are clear. If they are carriers then you may not want to breed them. Getting healthy stock from the beginning if you can. Knowing the health of birds purchased is not always easy. But I definatly would not breed birds that carry salmonella. But that is what I do not necessarily what others do.
What if the test is negative, what else should i also test for, i am draining all my savings for these test, i want to get them right. I mean the other possible alternate diseases that cluld have the same sysmtom.

Thanks for helping me
Posted 30th January 2019, 08:39 AM
Quote:
What if the test is negative, what else should i also test for, i am draining all my savings for these test, i want to get them right. I mean the other possible alternate diseases that cluld have the same sysmtom.

Thanks for helping me
I would do research online, here is a link to symptoms and possible diseases. With pigeons sometimes you have to be your own doctor. Checking the droppings and crop culture are two things used to detect disease and parasites, but that is not always 100% accurate, so observing symptoms closely and these lab tests is what you have to work with.

Here is the link:
http://www.chevita.com/en/pigeons/symptoms/index.php