Pigeon Broke Neck and Died... What Happened? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 23rd June 2019, 04:20 AM

Pigeon Broke Neck and Died... What Happened?

Hello, I am currently mourning over one of my pigeons who died last week. He got spooked at night by a brick that fell to the ground. He was the only one who gave any response, out of all of my pigeons. He flew out of the coop, and it was dark so he couldn't see. He flew right into the fence and broke his neck immediately. I ran to pick him up. His neck was broken. He was still struggling and flapping. I picked him up, and I could see that his mouth was full of blood. At this point he wasn't struggling any more. I held him in my arms as he passed away. He closed his eyes as he passed away... almost like he just gave in. He was gone in 10-20 seconds.

I'm still struggling to understand exactly what happened. I know for sure he broke his neck, but why was his mouth full of blood? Did he sever something? Was he suffering? It breaks my heart to think that he was in pain, and I really hope that he couldn't feel anything after breaking his neck...

I've never experienced anything like this before and it's left me completely stunned, and I have a few questions about what happened...

Why was his mouth full of blood?
How likely is it that he was in pain?
Why did he close his eyes? I've never seen that in a dying animal before, or in an animal falling unconscious - they've always gone with their eyes still open.
Why was he gone so quickly? Was his cause of death bleeding out or lack of oxygen or something else?

I really want to know exactly what happened to help myself find peace... I really can't move on with these questions unanswered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 24th June 2019, 06:31 AM
Sorry to hear you had to go through this. It's possible he hit the fence with the beak first, must have caused lots of damage to the whole head and that's why there was so much blood.

When they are in shock, there's not a lot of pain. At least he went quickly and was not suffering too much.
Posted 24th June 2019, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
Sorry to hear you had to go through this. It's possible he hit the fence with the beak first, must have caused lots of damage to the whole head and that's why there was so much blood.

When they are in shock, there's not a lot of pain. At least he went quickly and was not suffering too much.
He definitely would have been in a lot of shock... the poor thing. He probably didn’t have a clue at all about what was going on. 😞 His mate seemed to know what happened immediately, as she had already found a new mate two days later. Interesting and quite sad how life moves on so quickly. 😞

I agree he would have hit his beak first... but were would the blood be coming from? Is there any artery or vein or something that runs through their neck that could have been severed when he broke his neck?

Posted 24th June 2019, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post

Adding on to my other post.
I just had a look at some diagrams of the circulatory systems.
Maybe it was one of the jugulars that was severed and that caused the bleeding and in turn death?
I just wish he would’ve died on impact as soon as he hit the fence... No suffering, nothing. 😞
Posted 24th June 2019, 07:06 AM
The blood comes from injury of the internal organs.
Posted 24th June 2019, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
The blood comes from injury of the internal organs.
Oh, I see.
What about the jugular veins? Is there a possibility that they were severed and that contributed?
What do you think was the cause of the death in the end? I’ve heard of cases where birds broke their necks and survived, but in this case he didn’t stand a chance...
Do you think he bled out or went under cardiac arrest? Or something else?
I’m just trying to piece it all together
Posted 24th June 2019, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
Oh, I see.
What about the jugular veins? Is there a possibility that they were severed and that contributed?
What do you think was the cause of the death in the end? Iíve heard of cases where birds broke their necks and survived, but in this case he didnít stand a chance...
Iím just trying to piece it all together
Internal injuries kill them, just like a human in a car crash. Trauma puts them in shock, as it is too much for the body to deal with and death occurs.
Posted 24th June 2019, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
Oh, I see.
What do you think was the cause of the death in the end? I’ve heard of cases where birds broke their necks and survived, but in this case he didn’t stand a chance...
I’m just trying to piece it all together
Internal injuries kill them, just like a human in a car crash. Trauma puts them in shock, as it is too much for the body to deal with and death occurs.
Oh, I understand now. Thank you for your help.