Pigeon Dried leg, immediate assistance requested - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 6th January 2017, 09:17 PM

Pigeon Dried leg, immediate assistance requested

Pigeon Dried leg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 6th January 2017, 09:18 PM
I require your kind immediate assistance. Found one pigpen who's one leg had totally dried and got black.

It's not scaly leg, which I am finding commonly on internet. This may be because of a rubber band tied with pigeon's leg. I removed that rubber band but not sure how to cure it's dried leg.
Posted 6th January 2017, 09:18 PM
I require your kind immediate assistance. Found one pigeon who's one leg had totally dried and got black.

It's not scaly leg, which I am finding commonly on internet. This may be because of a rubber band tied with pigeon's leg. I removed that rubber band but not sure how to cure it's dried leg.

Posted 6th January 2017, 09:22 PM
Could you please post a photo? Thank you for helping the bird.
Posted 6th January 2017, 09:23 PM
Lower portion of Leg (beneath where rubber band was tied up) had become black unlike pink coloured other leg.
Posted 6th January 2017, 09:24 PM
Thanks cwebster for your kind prompt reply. I am very new to this forum, not sure how to send photo, if at all I can.
Posted 6th January 2017, 10:14 PM
Pls help frns. Share your mail id or ping me/WhatsApp me ur no. at 00971-50-8140523 where I can share the pic of bird.
Posted 7th January 2017, 01:33 AM
Can you post it here so peopke more expert can see it? You just go down to GAdvanced and Attach Files and upload the photo. People here have recently posted about dry foot and toe problems usually due to string injury or infection. If it is black not much can be done although having a vet or expert look at it might help. Example:
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f5/tri...ighlight=Black
With string injuries i have seen wild birds lose toes and even feet but continue to survive. Did you look to see if there is still thread or string around the foot? I imagine infection is another possibility or injury to the nerves or muscles or tendons but i am not a vet. Anyone able to help please? Sadly peopke who use pigeons for dog training reportedly put rubber bands around the birds feet. Members here have successfully raised pigeons with missing toes and feet and Palomacy has rescued birds with injuries who have done well. You might want to contact Elizabeth at Palomacy fir any suggestions.
http://www.rescuereport.org/2011/07/...heartache.html
In UAE there are irganizations such as Dubai Animal Rescue Center but i know nothing about them. You need especially to make sure that any vet or rescue does not just euthanize. It is important to tell them it is your pet and you want it treated and returned to you. http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/animal-...e-uae-1.619824
If the foot has died it may fall off or need amputation by a vet. But pigeons are tough and can still survive fine with some TLC. Is he in a safe place like an aviary? How is he eating and sleeping? Is he warm and protected from predators? Thank you again for caring about him and helping him.

Last edited by cwebster; 7th January 2017 at 02:03 AM..
Posted 7th January 2017, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daljeetsingh View Post
Thanks cwebster for your kind prompt reply. I am very new to this forum, not sure how to send photo, if at all I can.
When you post a reply you see an attachment icon on the toolbar. Click on that to browse a pic and then upload. It will be shown here. Or send me a pic on my email id I am sharing in pm, I will upload it here.
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.
Posted 7th January 2017, 03:28 AM
I too am from UAE. Are you in Abu Dhabi? I can give info on nearby vetinary hospitals and pharmacies.
Posted 7th January 2017, 03:32 AM
Some pigeons have black legs by birth. My pigeon fluffy has black legs.
Posted 7th January 2017, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daljeetsingh View Post
I require your kind immediate assistance. Found one pigeon who's one leg had totally dried and got black.

Thanks for rescuing this poor bird.
As cwebster said if you do take the vet tell them it is your pet. Don't leave them alone with bird as they will euthanize it.

The leg might need to be amputated depending on how serve it is. If the leg still has a chance put some antibiotic gel/cream on its leg.

Can it use that leg to stand ? If not and leg is still able to be saved you can make a splint.

(how to fix spraddle leg)
link-http://www.healthstartsinthekitchen.com/2015/03/10/how-to-fix-splayed-leg-spraddle-leg/

For care if it is not eating force feed warm peas/purina puppy chow. 30 peas/chow or 50 depending how much it is willing to eat.

Give it some apple sauce(one teaspoon) mixed with water too. Place him on an heating pad.

How are the droppings after food ? Any other wounds? How is its throat ?
Is there discharge coming from nostrils and eyes?

Rose Quartz can help you if you are in Abu Dhabi. I am in Dubai however and I can also assist if you are here.

I will pm you a health kit (list).
Posted 7th January 2017, 08:44 AM
How is he doing today?
Posted 7th January 2017, 10:25 AM
If the circulation has been cut off, and the leg has turned black and dried up, that had to be very painful. He needs a vet. The leg will probably have to be taken off. That's really too bad. He may need antibiotics for infecton.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Last edited by Jay3; 7th January 2017 at 01:55 PM..
Posted 7th January 2017, 12:11 PM
If you are in Abu Dhabi you can take him to the following vetinary hospitals but the fees structure is really high.
Canadian vetinary hospital
British vetinary hospital
German vetinary hospital
Abu Dhabi falcon hospital
The national vetinary clinic.

And for pharmacy, my best suggestion is Al Nawadir pharmacy. You can get all types of medicine there.

Last edited by Rosequartz; 7th January 2017 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: My iPad changed my words to something else...