Pigeon on balcony - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 16th August 2019, 02:25 PM

Pigeon on balcony

Hello all. I'm looking for some advice on what to do for the pigeon currently living on our balcony. A couple of months ago two pigeons set up a nest on our balcony and laid eggs, we let them be out there seeing as we weren't using the balcony. They raised one baby pigeon out there who flew away and they laid another egg. This pigeon has been on our balcony, way past when the other baby flew away, he's been out there probably a month longer than the other one.

Yesterday though, I thought the mum pigeon had come back for him as she was lingering where she usually perched to keep an eye on him. I heard him crying out there and when I looked out the window the other bird looked like it was pecking at him, I scared off the other bird but now there are more gathering and I'm worried they might kill or hurt our balcony pigeon.

Any advice would be appreciated. Should my pigeon have flown away by now? Would other pigeons attack balcony pigeon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 17th August 2019, 01:37 AM
How does the baby look? Is he flapping his wings, seem healthy? If you put out food for them, then the other pigeons will attack him. If he is still getting fed by his parents, then he will be ok.
Posted 17th August 2019, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherkb View Post
Hello all. I'm looking for some advice on what to do for the pigeon currently living on our balcony. A couple of months ago two pigeons set up a nest on our balcony and laid eggs, we let them be out there seeing as we weren't using the balcony. They raised one baby pigeon out there who flew away and they laid another egg. This pigeon has been on our balcony, way past when the other baby flew away, he's been out there probably a month longer than the other one.

Yesterday though, I thought the mum pigeon had come back for him as she was lingering where she usually perched to keep an eye on him. I heard him crying out there and when I looked out the window the other bird looked like it was pecking at him, I scared off the other bird but now there are more gathering and I'm worried they might kill or hurt our balcony pigeon.

Any advice would be appreciated. Should my pigeon have flown away by now? Would other pigeons attack balcony pigeon?
There could be a couple scenarios going on.
One , this is a slow bloomer and he needs to fly off, and the pecking could be the hen or male parent telling him just that by pecking at him.

Two, he is underdeveloped and has a problem and they know it, plus they are no longer are seeing the young bird as theirs and want to nest there again and don’t like his presence.

You can save the young bird , But then he is your responsibility and a pet really. Releasing him after that can be cruel , as he hasn’t learned anything . And the fall and winter are coming.

Last edited by Ladygrey; 17th August 2019 at 10:38 AM..

Posted 17th August 2019, 10:49 AM
Maybe I posted on here too quickly, but this morning he flew away. We were doing some DIY in the room next to where he was so I'm guessing he was spooked and flew for the first time. He's come back twice and is currently chilling on the balcony now but I'm feeling more positive that he's not underdeveloped now. Phew

Hopefully he flies away for good soon and lives his pigeon life
Posted 17th August 2019, 10:51 PM
Glad to hear he is ok.