Pigeon Paramyxovirus (aka : PMV, PPMV, PMV1 -Pigeon) - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Posted 9th October 2005, 09:51 AM
Thumbs up

Outstanding thread Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,
Thank you so much for taking the time to compile this information regarding PMV.

I was looking for something specific yesterday & happen to stumble upon the website noted below.
I clicked on 'Pigeon Health' & found this interesting piece on PMV.
Although this racing pigeon fancier classifies PMV as a major disease, he feels most PMV pigeons recover.

Major diseases

Paramyxovirosis

The initial symptoms are sickness, diarrhea and weight loss followed by nervous disorders which are very characteristic:

Tremor of the head
Twisting of the head/neck
Paralysis; of one wing, then both and/or paralysis of the feet
Disordered balance and flight
Tottering step, tendency to fall over backwards

Less typical signs can also be observed; the initial appearance of nervous disorder without any previous diarrhea and weight loss, or the appearance of diarrhea without nervous symptoms.

There is no special treatment. The best course of action is to vaccinate all birds as soon as possible.

Pigeon - fanciers are apt to dispose of their sick pigeons once the disease has been confirmed in the loft. This is a mistake as most birds will return to good health after two or three months, provided they are fed and watered. Once the disease has passed the pigeons will retain their sense of direction intact and will recover completely. Likewise, pigeons which have survived can be bred from - they do not become carriers of the disease

Here is the link to the website in it's entirety.

http://www.btinternet.com/~srpc/

Cindy

http://www.pigeonangels.com

As we fly,
Let us be safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Let us find safety where we are welcome to stay.

Cynthia Boyce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 9th October 2005, 11:24 AM

feefo te Beautiful

Thanks Daryl, Maggie and Lin. I was devastated when I found Feefo in the bath and cradled her all night, then I buried her next to her aviary. John created a memorial site with her poem and photos of all the friends that shared her home and later started to add those that arrived after she left :http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pi...e/memorial.htm

Even though I know that it is so easy to make mistakes I feel I failed her because I had already thought there was danger for her there...I just hope that others reading this will be warned and that feefo's death will save other pigeons going the same way.

Cynthia
Posted 9th October 2005, 11:44 AM
Quote:
I was looking for something specific yesterday & happen to stumble upon the website noted below.
I clicked on 'Pigeon Health' & found this interesting piece on PMV.
Although this racing pigeon fancier classifies PMV as a major disease, he feels most PMV pigeons recover.
Thanks Cindy! That is also what I have read: I have just acquired the "Understanding Pigeon Paramyxovirus" booklet by H Vindevogel (vet and University Professor) and J P Duchatel (Avian expert). In the booklet they state that they personally know several fanciers that won a number of prizes one year with pigeons that showed severe nervous disorders the previous year. They also established that the virus persists for no more than 4 weeks in the repiratory organs, 3 weeks in the intestines and 5 weeks in the brain and that after 6 weeks they are no longer carriers.

Cynthia

Last edited by Feefo; 9th October 2005 at 11:47 AM..

Posted 9th October 2005, 11:48 AM
Dear Cynthia. For someone like me who can talk non-stop at any given time, words just fail me when looking at Feefo's memorial page. That is one of the most beautiful tributes I have ever seen and thank you for sharing it.

maggie
Posted 14th October 2005, 10:37 AM
Thumbs up

Thank you

This is a very helpful sticky. I think when I sell a pigeon I will give this in my packet. And will keep it for myself. Sorry about your bird. And agian thank you.
Posted 14th October 2005, 10:58 AM

I just came across

your Memorium Cynthia. Truly moving and beautifully done! Feefo is proud!

I'm so sorry for your loss...
Posted 14th October 2005, 01:07 PM
Hi Cindy,

Thank you for the link and reference information..!

This is good news, certainly.

I have only seen this illness, or what I took to be this illness, a few times.

The one Pigeon I have been taking care of for some months now who seemed to have it, remains a non-flier and still has some symptoms, I imagine, from nerve damage from the Virus, even if he is no longer occupied with the Virus per-se, the damage remains.

Maybe he will improve over time, I sure hope so. He is a large handsome Bird with feather legs. He still does his 'statue' mode sometimes and 'Star Gazes' while pecking or if excited...and has the tremors sometimes when looking around or standing.

I have had him seperate from the others all this time, fearing of contageousness.

He routinely does strong and able Wing excercises in his cage, but when I set him out in the open, he just goes into 'statue' mode and I can set him anywhere and clean his cage and so on, then set him back in.

Otherwise, he preens well, is handsome, eats and drinks and poops well, and enjoys being set outside in his cage for some Sunshine now and then.

Phil
Las Vegas
Posted 14th October 2005, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by upcd
This is a very helpful sticky. I think when I sell a pigeon I will give this in my packet. And will keep it for myself. Sorry about your bird. And agian thank you.
That is a good idea, upcd. You can compile it all in a folder. That indeed will help people keep their birds healthy, sort of a adoption packet, or sales packet.

Give people all the info. regarding major diseases, and also on how to prevent them thru innoculations, prevention nutrition, and keeping a clean and sanitary coop.

Posted 14th October 2005, 05:28 PM
Debbie, what a thoughtful thing to make up a packet of info for people who buy your birds..Great idea and I know it is appreciated. maggie
Posted 15th October 2005, 06:03 PM
Thank you Cynthia for the great informative thread.

I'm so sorry about Feefo. I, like others, know all too well how awful it feels to lose a birdie due to a sort of "learning curve". I appreciate you sharing this very sad story, as most of my rescues are PMV & there are times when they lull me into a false sense of security. Thank you for the wake up call.

Tags
feral pigeon, racing pigeon, sick pigeon, sick pigeons