Pigeon seems well, but won't eat - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 2nd November 2016, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Not sure I'm understanding. Dud you let the bird loose? Would not do that if he or she is not eating. Thought you were just going to let the bird see the ferals by putting the cage near them. Am worried about predators since the bird is not eating.

No, no, she's in the cage you see at the right side of the picture. She's back in doors now. I'm not that silly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 2nd November 2016, 07:41 AM
Sorry, thought she was the loose bird on the roof. Has the presence of other birds encouraged her to eat?
Posted 2nd November 2016, 09:48 AM
You can continue putting her outside every day for a couple of hours and just check on how she's reacting. That way she will get used to the surroundings and the other pigeons and might stay around when you release her. You can maybe cover half the cage with a towel, that will make her feel more secure. Let us know when she starts eating by herself, hopefully soon.

Posted 2nd November 2016, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Sorry, thought she was the loose bird on the roof. Has the presence of other birds encouraged her to eat?
Nah that was one of the braver pigeons going closer first. Freda took notice of them but didn't eat anything, unfortunately. I will try again tomorrow and all other week-days. Hopefully she takes the hint lol!

Oh and do you have any thoughts on the other pigeon that came onto the roof? A disorientated one with the one wing flapping? I'm hoping to see him again tomorrow but I know he'll be difficult to catch, if I even get the chance. Something must be wrong with him though.
Posted 2nd November 2016, 06:40 PM
I wonder if the one on the roof is just interested in Freda because from the pic he looks fine. Does he fly okay? It's worth catching him if you can just to see if there's any reason for the wing flapping - could have a tick or some other parasite that's troubling him. A cage or large box propped up with a garden cane with a long string attached is how I've read many have been caught. Sprinkle a thin trail of seed and put more under the box - when/if he follows the trail you just pull the string sharply and presto! Sounds easy but....
Good luck with that, you'll need lots of patience I feel.
Posted 3rd November 2016, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredaH View Post
I wonder if the one on the roof is just interested in Freda because from the pic he looks fine. Does he fly okay? It's worth catching him if you can just to see if there's any reason for the wing flapping - could have a tick or some other parasite that's troubling him. A cage or large box propped up with a garden cane with a long string attached is how I've read many have been caught. Sprinkle a thin trail of seed and put more under the box - when/if he follows the trail you just pull the string sharply and presto! Sounds easy but....
Good luck with that, you'll need lots of patience I feel.
He's not the one on the roof, the one I'm concerned about came down before I took a picture and is light grey with black stripes. Roof pigeon in the photo does well, he's been around a few years now. And that's a very good idea. Usually I just use a big landing net lol!

Freda is outside in her cage as I type and the flock is down around her, no sign of the other little friend yet.
Posted 3rd November 2016, 05:44 PM
I'd love to have ferals here for mine to see, we're more of a farming area so we only get wood pigeons but there's plenty of ferals in town - not allowed to feed them though or you get a hefty fine.
Trapping them the way I said is how they usually manage to get them on the Facebook pigeon group - I once caught a starling that way to take wire off its leg, was surprised it actually went under the box but when they're hungry...
Posted 5th November 2016, 06:38 PM
Some progress. Today she had some sunflower seeds, albeit cautiously. I'm thinking she really is just scared and uncomfortable indoors with us... she shakes if you come near her but within the last small while, less so. When I put her outside in the cage now she is desperate to join the other pigeons. However it looks like she will be nonreleasable, though I may have an aviary with other non-flyers for her to go. I think it's probably best she settles in with them as soon as possible and the non-eating will most likely sort itself out once she settles.
Posted 5th November 2016, 06:51 PM
Glad to hear she is doing better! Ours won't touch sunflower seeds but love safflower and I understand all pigeons love chopped peanuts.
Posted 5th November 2016, 07:07 PM
Great to know that she's starting to eat and they'll be no stopping her soonl. I'm amazed at just how often mine eat, practically until lights out at night and when I put them in their cages for bed they go straight to the new bowls of food - as if they haven't eaten all day, lol.
Posted 6th November 2016, 12:32 AM
You can offer her unsalted chopped up peanuts, once she gets the taste of that she will devour them. So she's unable to fly? Does she flap her wings and try at least? It will just be so nice if you can release her at your place.
Posted 6th November 2016, 01:36 AM
If he doesn't fly please don't release him.
Posted 6th November 2016, 06:20 PM
My ferals are almost full grown and have only just started eating peanuts and that's only because I bash them in a bag with a rolling pin first. They wouldn't touch them quartered (spoiled brats) but they'll eat them now that they're crushed. I know once they get to like them they'll eat bigger pieces because they eat maple peas and they're big but I tried all ways to get them on peanuts and only by crushing, some almost to powder, have they started being interested.
I'm trying to train them to go into their cages at night with the lure of a tiny bowl of bedtime peanuts each - success so far with two of the five. Crafty kids, lol.

Tags
not eating, pigeon, scared