Pigeon seems well, but won't eat - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 31st October 2016, 10:00 AM

Pigeon seems well, but won't eat

Hi friends I have had a pigeon for just over a month now with a bad wing, which is now gaining some strength. The trouble is that she won't eat and I've had to hand-feed to get food into her from the start, as she was so, so skinny and needed to put weight on. She is now a good weight, perfect poop, drinking (but not excessively)... no other issues that I can see. But not self-feeding, even when I withheld food to encourage her (though I don't have the heart to do this for more than a day).

Could this just be from fear? She is very nervous, shakes if you go near her. I interact to a minimum and put a towel over her when feeding which works well. I've had to hand-feed other non-city rescues because they would not touch food in captivity but when released I see them chomping away as normal... however, I've never had to keep them this long before.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 31st October 2016, 06:14 PM
Could you please post a photo of the bird and her droppings? Thanks!
Posted 31st October 2016, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Could you please post a photo of the bird and her droppings? Thanks!
It's 5am now but I'll do that when we get up!

Posted 1st November 2016, 01:25 AM
I don't know what she's fed but my five were weaned using seeds added to their usual grain in order to tempt them. Hemp, Linseeds and especially sesame seeds, they love sesame seeds and still do as a treat. I think the smaller seeds may encourage her to start eating on her own. I buy the seeds from Asda in the cake making aisle, just over 1 for a pack - I'd try sprinkling some of those seeds over her pigeon mix and see what she does. Hope you're successful.
Posted 1st November 2016, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredaH View Post
I don't know what she's fed but my five were weaned using seeds added to their usual grain in order to tempt them. Hemp, Linseeds and especially sesame seeds, they love sesame seeds and still do as a treat. I think the smaller seeds may encourage her to start eating on her own. I buy the seeds from Asda in the cake making aisle, just over 1 for a pack - I'd try sprinkling some of those seeds over her pigeon mix and see what she does. Hope you're successful.
Hi Freda (the pigeon is called Freda btw!), she is an adult and must have already weaned. But I will try adding further temptations to her seed bowl, we have a pack of sunflower seeds in the cupboard.
Posted 1st November 2016, 02:51 AM
Have you tried putting her outside in a cage? That's a more natural environment for them than being cooped up inside a house that they are not used to. Maybe if she sees other birds feeding, she will start doing the same. The sun will also do her good.
Posted 1st November 2016, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
Have you tried putting her outside in a cage? That's a more natural environment for them than being cooped up inside a house that they are not used to. Maybe if she sees other birds feeding, she will start doing the same. The sun will also do her good.

I haven't but will start tomorrow morning. We have a flock that visits every day. Good idea.
Posted 1st November 2016, 03:15 AM
Here she is. ( ' v ' ) And the dropping on the pink towel was one she did overnight but they get a little dry because of the heat mat. The other dropping is from a week or so ago but fresh. Also, the brown colour is normal because I feed a pelleted diet by hand (though she is offered a seed diet in her bowl).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3254.JPG (1.65 MB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3255.JPG (1.60 MB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3256.JPG (3.71 MB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3257.jpg (69.6 KB, 22 views)
Posted 1st November 2016, 07:22 AM
Lovely bird! Doesn't look ill and droppings look normal to me. What kind of food do you give her?
Posted 1st November 2016, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Lovely bird! Doesn't look ill and droppings look normal to me. What kind of food do you give her?
Harrison's bird pellets by hand but seed in her bowl.
Posted 1st November 2016, 09:12 AM
Hi,

Nice looking bird. Good job on nursing it back, Kudos.

Sometimes, after being hand fed for a while, some pigeons seem to prefer it.

Giving it sun, letting it see other birds might help.

I wish you good luck.

Peace
Posted 1st November 2016, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaSin11 View Post
Hi,

Nice looking bird. Good job on nursing it back, Kudos.

Sometimes, after being hand fed for a while, some pigeons seem to prefer it.

Giving it sun, letting it see other birds might help.

I wish you good luck.

Peace
Thank you, she is really pretty! I'll let you all know how she gets on with your tips starting tomorrow.
Posted 1st November 2016, 06:22 PM
Aww she is adorable and what a great job you're doing with her, she looks in great condition - oh and I love her name btw lovely girl and very pretty too. When you put her cage out make sure no pesky cats can get to her because they can drag them through the bars enough to kill them - that happened to one of my small birds many years ago and I couldn't believe it managed to get it through the aviary wire, didn't get the poor bird out but mangled it up against the wire somehow. Don't want anything happening to your little lady.
Posted 2nd November 2016, 03:17 AM
I have a good watch on her from the window! She's been there two hours. The ferals are quite cautious and have gone down (and promptly back up) a few times now. Freda is interested in them when they do come down but spooks them when she hops down from her perch to go see. It's now looking like it will rain (Scotland!) so might be time for her to come in soon though we'll continue this and see if any progress is made.

Ohhh!! They're all down now!! Sorry I'm writing this in real time lol! They are letting their guard down a bit.

On another note, there's a bird I'm concerned about. They came down earlier and although they flew away fine, while they were standing on my garage one wing was lifting up and fluttering and they looked generally disorientated. What do you think? I'm gonna have to keep a look out for them in the next few days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3282.JPG (1.08 MB, 19 views)
Posted 2nd November 2016, 05:47 AM
Not sure I'm understanding. Dud you let the bird loose? Would not do that if he or she is not eating. Thought you were just going to let the bird see the ferals by putting the cage near them. Am worried about predators since the bird is not eating.

Tags
not eating, pigeon, scared