pigeon sick - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 10th August 2007, 03:27 PM

pigeon sick

one of my youg pigeon nose is running and his beak is half open, i was looking through web sites and the symtoms semm to be respiratory related , is there differnet forms of this. I got the pigeon wit an oder of six birds from a breeder but on the second day i had them one of them got sick and died, I took it to a pigeon fancier to look at last night and he tought it was'nt respiratory and give me some stuff in a bottle and said to put it in there water, i done this striaght away so will have to see. i am a novice and any help would e very much welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 10th August 2007, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo67 View Post
one of my youg pigeon nose is running and his beak is half open, i was looking through web sites and the symtoms semm to be respiratory related , is there differnet forms of this. I got the pigeon wit an oder of six birds from a breeder but on the second day i had them one of them got sick and died, I took it to a pigeon fancier to look at last night and he tought it was'nt respiratory and give me some stuff in a bottle and said to put it in there water, i done this striaght away so will have to see. i am a novice and any help would e very much welcome.
It is most probably a respiratory issue/infection with perhaps other issues, and please isolate this bird and any other with these symptoms. Keep them warm and out of drafts, rehydrate and make sure to feed them if they aren't eating.

It would be best if you could get a diagnosis from an avian vet so treatment can be done with the correct meds. There are combinations of meds like doxy cycline and tylosin that are beneficial for certain respiratory infections.
Please wash hands thoroughly after handling the birds, and use all hygenic protocals.

I would administer probiotics, Neem oil, colloidal silver and other good things immediately. The most important aspect of controlling these kinds of infections is to control adequate ventilation, clean up dust, keep and keep coop clean. Use a good disinfectant and floor dressing. Make sure birds are dry and weather/rain free inside their coop.

Do not buy any more birds from this breeder.

Last edited by Skyeking; 10th August 2007 at 03:43 PM..
Posted 10th August 2007, 03:52 PM
Thankyou for the reply trees gray, i have the bird away from the rest, al the rest seem to be ok at the minute, but i am going to take it to vet tomorrow to see if i can find out exactly what is wrong with it, I will not buy any more birds from this breeder again, they seem to be in it for the money and not for the love of the birds, if it is respiratory i will have to treat all the birds is that right.

Tags
avian vet, colloidal silver, respiratory infection