Pigeon with wobbly head - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 24th July 2019, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I am also thinking of spraying him with ACV water on the wings. Will try them all and update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 25th July 2019, 07:26 AM
Yes, I read too about ACV in bath water.

Anyway, keep us updated, I hope that one of these remedies could work.
Posted 29th July 2019, 04:38 AM
First day I tried garlic and ACV together. I gave him one garlic capsule, and sprayed his wings and underside with ACV water (2 parts ACV in one part water). The lice reduced noticeably the next day, and I assumed the ACV must have done the trick. I continued with the ACV spraying, but the lice came back as quickly as it had gone. So next I tried the garlic capsule again and success!! I am giving him the capsule everyday now, and the lice is not completely gone, but has reduced its numbers considerably.

Posted 31st July 2019, 01:22 AM
Hi everyone

So its been a month since I've had Maari. On the whole, the head wobbling has reduced. But the nervous symptoms like head falling backwards, circling when anxious, inability to jump up or fly or peck at seeds - they continue. From the beginning, there has been no smelly poops or diarrhea.
Can extreme starvation lead to such nervous symptoms?? Unlike the other PMV/salmonella cases that I've seen in the past, Maari has had normal poops from the start. Which makes me wonder if it is just starvation that led to these nervous symptoms. If anyone has any thoughts on this, please share.

Also I am thinking of slowly introducing Maari to my other pigeons after 2 weeks. Is 6 weeks of quarantine sufficient? I read that PMV is contagious for only 6 weeks.
Btw, the garlic effect is slowly reducing, or rather the lice is getting better at tolerating the garlic smell
Posted 31st July 2019, 02:16 AM
I don't think starvation can cause these symptoms. I've only cared for 1 PMV pigeon so far, her symptoms were at its worst by week 6. So I confined her for another 2 weeks (total 8 weeks) to be on the safe side.
Posted 31st July 2019, 05:59 AM
I would stick with one thing for now as his main diet, the only other thing that can keep a good flora in his crop and digest things well is a small amount of unsweetened baby apple sauce with a little apple cider vinegar in it and crop feed that. Esp if he gets slow in digesting.. nystatin usually may be needed if he does get a slow crop or sour crop.
Posted 31st July 2019, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
I don't think starvation can cause these symptoms. I've only cared for 1 PMV pigeon so far, her symptoms were at its worst by week 6. So I confined her for another 2 weeks (total 8 weeks) to be on the safe side.
Okay. I guess Maari was already at his worst when I got him then, because he has slowly gotten better over the past weeks. My first PMV pigeon also did have normal droppings, but her neck torsion and circling was really extreme. She continued the neck twisting for the 2 years she was with us.

I wish the lice problem also gets sorted out meanwhile, because otherwise I can't introduce her to the other pigeons. And the introducing part is another hard task, because my other pigeons do not let in a new pigeon into their space so easily.
Posted 1st August 2019, 12:37 AM
Do you get karbadust for lice treatment over there? They use this product on chickens as well, so if there's a shop that sells agricultural goods maybe they will stock it.
Posted 2nd August 2019, 12:58 PM
Try one of these, I suppose

Bird spray

Dog Dust

I bought Colombine spray for a Pigeon. Did the trick. Was effective for upto 10 days at a stretch.

Hope this helps.
Posted 3rd August 2019, 07:21 PM
Thanks Marina B and birdtalk. And thanks a lot for the links!! I have known notix for a long time, but did not know it has carbaryl in it. Will try it and update here.
Posted 7th August 2019, 12:56 AM
The notix works! All lice gone in a matter of minutes! I kept a close watch on him the entire day to look for toxic side effects, but there were none thankfully. I did not even apply it liberally, I just dusted him lightly and worked my fingers through his feathers hoping it would reach everywhere. Still it worked.
Btw there are those very tiny lice as well as the ones that look like small pins. The tiny ones that are normally seen swarming through the body are now gone. The pin- like lice were invisible from the beginning, never saw them except once in a while when they managed to hop on to my hand. I don't know about them though, because Maari still preens himself as if he is trying to get something out.

Tags
wobbly head