Please help! Dying pigeon - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 12th September 2019, 06:16 AM

Please help! Dying pigeon

Hi folks! I found a pigeon on my terrace with a very weird behaviour. It was rotating its head so much so that it flips and trips. The eyelids have swollen,one eye completely shut and the other nearly shut. I want to upload a video of its behaviour but Iím not able to upload it, I really donít know what to do. Please help me and advice me on what I can do to help that poor thing or can I even help it or not? Or just leave it to the nature.please reply asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 12th September 2019, 07:00 AM
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0sAH...i_-_Triplicane

This is the video.please reply asap!
Thanks in advance!
Posted 12th September 2019, 03:48 PM
Hi, I saw your pm. Don't worry, you don't disturb me.

Yes, bring him inside, we need to understand what is wrong with him.
I saw the video, there could be many possibilities. It could maybe be a concussion, the shut eyes and swollen eyelid could make me think about a trauma, maybe he hit somewhere (it was a windy day?) like against a window. Or maybe a car hit him.

Here is a link

https://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/neck.htm

You can make a cup of chamomile tea (without added sugar) and wash the eyes with it (check carefully the temperature, use it slightly warm), you can use an eye dropper. You can also look for something similar to this product

https://www.cocooncenter.co.uk/bausc...5ml/20726.html

It's a sterile solution for eye wash. I used it for myself and for my birds too. You can find it in pharmacy.
In any case, wash the eyes twice a day.

I cared about a dove who had concussion and swollen eyes, I kept him in a quiet room with a soft light.

When you bring him inside give him some water with a bit of honey. You can dip his beak into the water bowl (not over the nostrils).
If you have a vitamin supplement (maybe you bought it for your other pigeon) you can put it in his drinking water, it will help him to stay as strong as possible.
If he doesn't eat on his own you need to hand feed him.

Another possibility could be PMV (even if swollen eyes make me think more about a concussion), you can read some informations in the same link.
Even salmonella could cause neurological symptoms.

Another thing: check his body for injuries, sometimes they are hard to see because covered by feathers. If you see any wound you can disinfect it with something like Betadine 10% then put an antibiotic cream. I usually do that twice a day. If you notice a bad smell it means that the wound is becoming infected and so you absolutely and urgently need an oral antibiotic.

Check also his droppings.

Anyway, the first step is bringing him inside.

Keep us updated. If you need other help, feel free to ask.

I have a question: do you know if someone is poisoning birds in your location? Have you heard about poisoned birds recently?

Last edited by Colombina; 12th September 2019 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: Additional info

Posted 12th September 2019, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombina View Post
Hi, I saw your pm. Don't worry, you don't disturb me.

Yes, bring him inside, we need to understand what is wrong with him.
I saw the video, there could be many possibilities. It could maybe be a concussion, the shut eyes and swollen eyelid could make me think about a trauma, maybe he hit somewhere (it was a windy day?) like against a window. Or maybe a car hit him.

Here is a link

https://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/neck.htm

You can make a cup of chamomile tea (without added sugar) and wash the eyes with it (check carefully the temperature, use it slightly warm), you can use an eye dropper. You can also look for something similar to this product

https://www.cocooncenter.co.uk/bausc...5ml/20726.html

It's a sterile solution for eye wash. I used it for myself and for my birds too. You can find it in pharmacy.
In any case, wash the eyes twice a day.

I cared about a dove who had concussion and swollen eyes, I kept him in a quiet room with a soft light.

When you bring him inside give him some water with a bit of honey. You can dip his beak into the water bowl (not over the nostrils).
If you have a vitamin supplement (maybe you bought it for your other pigeon) you can put it in his drinking water, it will help him to stay as strong as possible.
If he doesn't eat on his own you need to hand feed him.

Another possibility could be PMV (even if swollen eyes make me think more about a concussion), you can read some informations in the same link.
Even salmonella could cause neurological symptoms.

Another thing: check his body for injuries, sometimes they are hard to see because covered by feathers. If you see any wound you can disinfect it with something like Betadine 10% then put an antibiotic cream. I usually do that twice a day. If you notice a bad smell it means that the wound is becoming infected and so you absolutely and urgently need an oral antibiotic.

Check also his droppings.

Anyway, the first step is bringing him inside.

Keep us updated. If you need other help, feel free to ask.

I have a question: do you know if someone is poisoning birds in your location? Have you heard about poisoned birds recently?
Thank you so much for replying Colombina. Iíve brought him in but doesnít seem that he is interested in anything. His neurological problems are getting worst. He completely puts his head down on the floor now. Any medication to start with?

As for your question, Iíve not heard of any such thing, neither now nor ever before.
Posted 13th September 2019, 05:06 AM
So as I thought it's probably a severe concussion/head trauma, the swollen head is a sign of it. Maybe he crashed into a window (birds can't see glass window) or a car hit him.
You can read more information about head trauma here

http://www.petdr.com/main.cfm?id=51854

Keep him in a quiet room, in a comfortable box, in the dim light. Try again to dip his beak in a small water bowl (water + a bit if honey), if he doesn't drink let him rest for a few more hours than try again.

Have you read the link about concussion I posted yesterday? I have never tried it with pigeons (just for my beloved cat Kira) but they suggest to use homeopathic arnica. I found here on the same website more suggestions, they talk also about Hypericum.

http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/concussion.htm

I read here that arnica helps in relieving swelling.

Herbal and holistic remedies for pigeons https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=38713

Try to follow the advices of the pigeonrescue website.

He could also have internal injuries, unfortunately in that case there is nothing you can do.

Last edited by Colombina; 13th September 2019 at 05:32 AM..
Posted 13th September 2019, 01:10 PM
Iím grieved to say that he is no more. He is probably watching us from the skies and laughing as he is healthy and eternally happy there. Anyways thank you so much for all the information you shared.
Posted 13th September 2019, 01:19 PM
I'm so sorry, probably he had internal injuries (the sneezing made me think about an internal bleeding), even my brother lost a pigeon or two because of that, unfortunately there is nothing we can do in those situations. The blow was surely too strong. At least he spent his last hours in your loving care, that's important. Yes, he is surely happily flying with all the birds we lost.
Posted 13th September 2019, 08:32 PM
Syed and Columbina, am very sorry to hear he didnt make it. Thank you for helping him.
Posted 14th September 2019, 07:52 AM
Thanks so much cwebster for your kind words.
Posted 14th September 2019, 01:18 PM
Thanks both of you for your support

Tags
rotating head