PLEASE Help! Sick Feral Pigeon with Matter in it's Mouth - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 30th July 2019, 03:45 PM

PLEASE Help! Sick Feral Pigeon with Matter in it's Mouth

I'm in desperate hope that someone can advise me of what to do. I caught this pigeon yesterday in my backyard unable to fly. Upon expecting it I noticed a build up of a hardened, crusty, puss like substance from the mouth. Also, it's making a little wheezing sound. I tried giving it warm water with sugar/honey from a syringe, however when I try giving it to the pigeon it becomes resistant and it really makes the wheezing sound as though it's uncomfortable. I'm assuming this has something to do with its breathing/swallowing. When looking into the mouth there is a yellowish matter there, it almost looks like something lodged, however I'm thinking more of a lump. I took a moist qtip and tried to remove the dried crust from around the beak area. Now, I'm at a standstill as what to do. The poop is white/green and it has not eaten or drank within the last 24 hours if not longer. Can anyone suggest anything that I can do? I would truly appreciate it. I hate that this little dear soul is in my care, not feeling well and I'm clueless as what to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190730_140936_1564521542251.jpg (2.54 MB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20190730_141134_1564521554162.jpg (1.96 MB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20190730_135434_1564521602458.jpg (1.73 MB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 31st July 2019, 02:14 AM
Poor pigeon. Looks like a very advanced case of canker to me. Can you get hold of metronidazole from a pharmacy? He will need 50 mg once daily for treatment. You can split up the tablet into small pieces and put deep down inside his beak. Try to get him to drink water by gently dipping the tip of the beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water. You might have to do this a couple of times.
Posted 31st July 2019, 03:02 AM
Marina B. Thank you So Very much for your response. So I just so happen to have 2 (50 mg) Metronidazole tablets that the vet prescribed for my dog. Should I smash the tablet and mix it with water and orally give it to her with a syringe? When I try to give it water she becomes quite resistant as if it's very uncomfortable, I'm assuming it is with the canker. Also, she hasn't eaten or drank anything at least for the 48 hrs that I've had it if not longer. Do you have any advice with that?

Posted 31st July 2019, 06:06 AM
In this case the nodule may have to be removed by the vet.. then he will need to be crop fed slowly and meds given with that feeding . I would use hand rearing formula . If he recovers then green peas hand fed then hopefully he will eat on his own at some point.. he has a long way to go ,and hopefully he will survive. I would not use a dropper as you can aspirate him.
Posted 31st July 2019, 09:12 AM
There's a lot of blockage in the throat. Break the tablet into smaller pieces and try to get them past the blockage. One of the symptoms of canker is drinking lots of water. He must be very dehidrated. Keep on dipping the tip of the beak into the water, at some point he will drink.

If you can't get him to a vet and it seems impossible to get the meds into him like I described above, then a syringe will be the only option left. Just take it easy and only put small amounts in the beak. Make sure he gets the whole 50 mg, the meds does not dissolve easily in water. You can actually give him 2 tablets (100mg) for now, and from tomorrow the 50 mg once daily.

If you have success with giving the meds, try to get food into him. If you have porridge (a brand that does not contain sugar and milk) try to give him some with the syringe. A handrearing formula for parrots and parakeets will be the best choice to feed to him.

Also keep him warm on a hotwaterbottle covered with a blanket. I hope he survives.
Posted 31st July 2019, 10:29 AM
If she dislodges the nodule he can choke , or even bleed out.

But if she wonít take him to a vet then I guess itís a Russian roulette type situation.

He will hard pressed to even make it.
Posted 1st August 2019, 12:36 AM
Unfortunately vets are very expensive over there and not every one has access to a vet. A decent avian vet might try to help him, most ordinary vets will just euthanize the pigeon.

How is he doing? If he is still alive, you will need to get some more metronidazole. He will need treatment for about 10 days, sometimes it takes longer to get rid of the canker.
Posted 1st August 2019, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
Unfortunately vets are very expensive over there and not every one has access to a vet. A decent avian vet might try to help him, most ordinary vets will just euthanize the pigeon.

How is he doing? If he is still alive, you will need to get some more metronidazole. He will need treatment for about 10 days, sometimes it takes longer to get rid of the canker.
Some veterinarians have been known to euthanize feral pigeons. They do not for pets if the owner wants to try to save it.

A pigeon can be named and an appointment made as a pet , make up its history if need be and Pay for your vet care like one would do for any other type pet.. and an avian or vet that treats exotics will treat them.
Posted 1st August 2019, 08:21 PM
When we rescued our injured feral,we named her Phoebe and took her to an exotic vet, telling the vet she was our pet. She became our dearest loved family member for eight wonderful years after we got her fixed up.