Pmv?!?!?!?! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 20th November 2010, 02:46 PM

Pmv?!?!?!?!

I need help really bad. My pigeon is turning in circles. He looks very weak. When he tries to fly he lands head first. He has some fits. He has difficulty eating. When he was trying to eat his food he was missing the food dish completely. While my grandparents are sleeping tonight I'm going to sneak him upstairs so he can stay in my warm room. I have lots of vitamins to restore his electrolytes. What else can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 20th November 2010, 03:29 PM
Hi TM.

It is good that you are gonna separate him. I think that this is going to take more than sneaking him into your room every night, though (but it was a good idea, anyway).

Can you explain his living situation ? Is he housed with other birds ? Or by himself ? Is his enclosure cleaned regularly ?

It could be PMV, or it could be a bacterial infection too. He needs to be separated from other birds ASAP, and kep in a warm place 24/7. As you gleaned, if he is missing his food and water.....he will need to be handfed, also.

A bloodtest from an avian vet would be the surest way to figure if it is PMV (a virus) or a bacterial infection. If it's a virus, it will shed itself but may take several weeks to do so. If an infection which is showing these neurological symptoms, then he would need antibiotics.

If you cannot get a bloodtest, it sorta becomes a bit of guesswork. But for sure he needs isolation, warmth, and handfeeding...

How long has he been showing these symptoms ?
Posted 20th November 2010, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
Hi TM.

It is good that you are gonna separate him. I think that this is going to take more than sneaking him into your room every night, though (but it was a good idea, anyway).

Can you explain his living situation ? Is he housed with other birds ? Or by himself ? Is his enclosure cleaned regularly ?

It could be PMV, or it could be a bacterial infection too. He needs to be separated from other birds ASAP, and kep in a warm place 24/7. As you gleaned, if he is missing his food and water.....he will need to be handfed, also.

A bloodtest from an avian vet would be the surest way to figure if it is PMV (a virus) or a bacterial infection. If it's a virus, it will shed itself but may take several weeks to do so. If an infection which is showing these neurological symptoms, then he would need antibiotics.

If you cannot get a bloodtest, it sorta becomes a bit of guesswork. But for sure he needs isolation, warmth, and handfeeding...

How long has he been showing these symptoms ?
Every night? He's staying up here until he's better. . I care about this specific pigeon to much to let him die. He had a birth effect so he grew much slower than other babies. It took him about 2 months to get all his feathers. I also taught him how to fly since his parents abandoned him after the first month. He was also living with other birds. He gets cleaned almost every week. My other birds show no symptoms and since it gets down to 35 degrees here every night I'm starting to doubt it's PMV since there's no mosquitoes out. I'm not able to get a blood test since I cannot drive and my mom won't pay for the test. I also have no money. I spent it all on pigeon medicine the other day. Also he's only been showing these symptoms since today.

Posted 20th November 2010, 11:22 PM
OK. Well, in that case, I would do what you are doing. Keep him in a warm room, in a secure place (a cage/box/carrier set up with soft material such as towels or a blanket). If he seems to flail about inside the cage/box.....try to set up a little "doughnut" out of towels for him to sit 'in' (this way if he pushes off or has a fit, he will stay more or less secure).

Is he eating AT ALL ? Keep a check on his weight. If he is not eating and his weight starts to drop, you are gonna have to handfeed. You can us formula, although for a pigeon with these symptoms I prefer thawed peas and corn..because it's a bit easier and safer.

You said you have supplements. Do you have any antibiotics ?

As I said, it could be PMV , but also could be an infection or ....could he possibly have collided with something ? Sometimes a bird will get conked on the ol' noggin' and they will get this sort of thing. It usually passes but takes some time.

Keep up the good work. Can you post a photo ?