Poor little pigeon :( - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 12th August 2007, 12:36 AM

Poor little pigeon :(

I was walking around my neighbourhood today, and almost stepped on a teenage pigeon on the footpath. So, I picked him up and carried him to the vet (very carefully). We're in South Australia, and it was a grey pigeon with white on the back of its neck, and black spots on its neck also.

The vet was closed! So I took him home. He seemed comfortable, closing his eyes, but his neck was wobblier than I would have thought it should be.

About 2 minutes before we got home, the freakiest thing happened. His head did a 200 degree turn! I was so scared, so I placed him on some grass. I had to get this bird home quick to find out what I could do, so I picked him up and brought him home.

I got home and googled my butt off, and came across this forum. He died about 5 minutes later I want to know what I can do differently next time to help. Any suggestions, or was this pretty inevitable? I have already read the basic steps, but does anyone know what might have been wrong with this poor little guy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 12th August 2007, 01:33 AM
Hi bertus. I am so sorry that the pigeon died. Thank you for caring for it. All you could have done within the time available was out him on a heat pad.

Twisting the head right over can be a symptom of PMV (paramyxovirus) and paratyphoid. I don't know if PMV has reached Australia. I know that they have tried pretty hard to keep the country free of the disease.

The wobbly neck suggests it could have been one of these, but in the last week I have had two pigeons that went into neck twisting spasms before they died. They both died on the day that they were found and I wonder if this is some sort of death spasm although I have only seen it once before.

This thread provides information on what you can do for any sick or injured pigeon to improve its chances of survival:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showth...referrerid=560

Cynthia
Posted 12th August 2007, 01:47 AM
Hi Bertus, and Welcome...

Good try there...

It sounds to me that there was simply no time left...and nothing you could have done.

They will do brief, urgent back arching flappings and neck stretch and head turn things just before they die, just at that last moment, in many cases...without any need of there having been any particular illness or disease process...

Simple privation kills many fledglings who once seperated form their parents, and not knowing how to eat and drink by themselves, they starve to death and or die of dehydration or both...and these conditions will make them very 'wobbly' or spazzy or contorting, just on their own.

Getting these Birds rehydrated by layman's means can be somewhat delicate and patient and still no guarentee of their making it...but would generally be the first step ( aside from ma,king sure they are warm through and through) if the Bird's condition suggests that that IS what happenned to them.

Please stay with the forum, and at liesure follow what threads you like, and participate as you please...and rest assured, you will find other Birds and Pigeons, or they will find you.

Learning how to re-hydrate a dehydrated Pigeon is a very important bit of know how to have, and will be a Life Saver for them in many occasions.

As is how to get them warm if they are chilled, and to keep them warm and safe if that is called for.

But all in all, there is a lot to all this, even as there is to other things in Life...and even the 'simple' things are not so simple.

So...please stay, and learn what you can between now and your next Pigeon rescue-find...

We'll be here...

Best wishes..!

Phil
Las Vegas

Posted 12th August 2007, 06:53 AM
Thanks guys. I will keep in touch I always feel somewhat privileged when I come across an animal in need, as I think they would do the same for us, if they had the same capacity for empathy.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work. This forum seems like a really good resource for people who seem helpless and want to do some good- you do a lot more than you can imagine.
Posted 12th August 2007, 06:57 AM
Thank you for the care and concern you showed for this little one, that means alot to us. We can't always help those pigeons that are in their last hour, but the FACT that you helped and gave this one some love and concern means EVERYTHING and DID make a differrence.

Posted 12th August 2007, 07:04 AM
Hi bertus and welcome to the forum.

I'm really sorry that your pigeon died but with it dying that quickly, it was near death when you found it. It could have been because of any number of causes. I wanted to mention that it is not dangerous to your health to handle a sick bird, just use good old common sense and wash hands frequently.

I hope you continue to stay on the forum. Often, once you find a pigeon in need of help, it isn't long before you find another one.
Posted 12th August 2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind and reassuring words. Personally it's nice to see that there are so many caring people out there.

Tags
injured pigeon, pigeon rescue, sick bird