Possible respiratory illness; how best to treat? - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 1st September 2007, 02:25 PM
One other thing to consider with birds that have upper respiratory illnesses: it's best to keep them in high-humidity environments so that phlegm doesn't dry down too much. You can put them in a bathroom and make it steamy with hot water or even use a nebulizer to get some moisture in (use saline: 1 teaspoon of salt to a quart of water). Birds have a relatively long trachea that's easy to get blocked during such an illness. I have taken a bird in for a series of nebulized treatments of saline and Gentamicin before.

Pidgey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 5th September 2007, 01:15 PM
Still don't have the tylosin combo, but continuing with the doxy. He stopped sneezing/coughing sometime Sunday, now he just sounds odd when he squeaks. He doesn't so much squeak as he "honks". Sounds like a little goose so I guess he's still stuffed up (?)

Anyway his newbie cage-mates are getting tetracycline too in the water just in case but they seem fine. I'm putting him back in with them during the day as they really seemed distressed when they could see each other from far away but not be together. Of course once I did reunite them, they bickered. At night since it's cool I still bring him inside. He got a couple of "steam treatments" and could always keep on with those for a few more days.

When the new drug finally comes I guess I'll go ahead and give it to him just to be on the safe side,...?

Thanks again everyone...

Here's his picture...

Last edited by TheSnipes; 5th September 2007 at 01:17 PM..
Posted 5th September 2007, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnipes View Post
Still don't have the tylosin combo, but continuing with the doxy. He stopped sneezing/coughing sometime Sunday, now he just sounds odd when he squeaks. He doesn't so much squeak as he "honks". Sounds like a little goose so I guess he's still stuffed up (?)

Anyway his newbie cage-mates are getting tetracycline too in the water just in case but they seem fine. I'm putting him back in with them during the day as they really seemed distressed when they could see each other from far away but not be together. Of course once I did reunite them, they bickered. At night since it's cool I still bring him inside. He got a couple of "steam treatments" and could always keep on with those for a few more days.

When the new drug finally comes I guess I'll go ahead and give it to him just to be on the safe side,...?

Thanks again everyone...

Here's his picture...
Glad he's getting better! Lovely bird, BTW. If I were you, I would go ahead and give him the Tylosin when it comes. Did you order Tylan by itself or the Doxy-T combo?

It would be a good idea to keep some Doxy-T on hand just in case any of the others pop up with symptoms. When we had an outbreak a couple years ago I started by separating and treating individual birds that were sick. Just when I'd think all was well, someone else would pop up with symptoms. It finally ended when I put the whole flock on Doxy-T. It was also very effective on a new Nun pigeon I was given earlier this year who had respiratory symptoms when I got him. I treated him with Doxy-T while he was in quarantine. He made a full recovery and none of my other pigeons got sick.

Posted 5th September 2007, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmom4ever View Post
Glad he's getting better! Lovely bird, BTW. If I were you, I would go ahead and give him the Tylosin when it comes. Did you order Tylan by itself or the Doxy-T combo?

It would be a good idea to keep some Doxy-T on hand just in case any of the others pop up with symptoms. When we had an outbreak a couple years ago I started by separating and treating individual birds that were sick. Just when I'd think all was well, someone else would pop up with symptoms. It finally ended when I put the whole flock on Doxy-T. It was also very effective on a new Nun pigeon I was given earlier this year who had respiratory symptoms when I got him. I treated him with Doxy-T while he was in quarantine. He made a full recovery and none of my other pigeons got sick.
He is a handsome baby, (moms always think so). Thanks for the compliment

Excellent advice as I was wondering about treating the whole group and had done it since someone (maybe it was you?) suggested it might be wise JIC. the more meds I have on hand the better I feel but it seems when something crops up, it's not what I'm prepared for. (Just like life?) I was thinking about giving him the tylan alone when it comes...

I ordered some of both. Actually, doxy-T (from siegels, or new england?) and something from Jedd's called tylobiotic. these were new babies i'd brought home and had in quarantine for less than a week when this guy took ill. i figured hey are very stressed and vitamins would be a real good asset. Thoughts?

Last edited by TheSnipes; 5th September 2007 at 08:10 PM..
Posted 6th September 2007, 02:53 PM
Vitamins are are great idea and also probiotics once they finish their meds. You kept all the youngsters quarantined, right? So only they, not the rest of your flock, had potential exposure? If it were me, I'd put all these youngsters on Doxy-T for a couple days. I just looked at my bottle and the instructions are to give it to them for 2-5 days, so two days as a prevention sounds reasonable. Same for your little guy who was sick.

I also keep various meds on hand: several different things for Trich and Cocci, several different antibiotics. It gets kind of expensive because I have to re-stock when they expire. But like small children, pigeons often seem to get sick or hurt on weekends or holidays. So it's good to keep some meds available at all times.
Posted 6th September 2007, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Vitamins are are great idea and also probiotics once they finish their meds. You kept all the youngsters quarantined, right? So only they, not the rest of your flock, had potential exposure? If it were me, I'd put all these youngsters on Doxy-T for a couple days. I just looked at my bottle and the instructions are to give it to them for 2-5 days, so two days as a prevention sounds reasonable. Same for your little guy who was sick.
That's right, the 3 new guys are isolated (but they are together, since they came from the same loft) so only they had potential exposure. I'll give them all a round of the new treatments, it came today. I want to be extra sure they're OK before I let them move in with the rest, who are all sitting on eggs - last thing I need is to infect a bunch of stressed breeding birds

Quote:
I also keep various meds on hand: several different things for Trich and Cocci, several different antibiotics. It gets kind of expensive because I have to re-stock when they expire. But like small children, pigeons often seem to get sick or hurt on weekends or holidays. So it's good to keep some meds available at all times.
That's my problem, gradually building a stock supply of everything! I get a little bit more of handy-to-have supplies every month - but when I need something, of course it's NOT what I already have, and it's always a weekend! How do pathogens know this?
Posted 7th September 2007, 10:18 AM
I don't know; I think it's kind of a Murphy's Law thing. Eventually you'll find you have what you need most of the time. But even so, a bird will sometimes come up with something new.

I always quarantine new birds for a full month even if they show no signs of illness or have an ailment I've treated successfully. You're right to be extra cautious at this time of year. The stress of molting makes pigeons more vulnerable to illness; even more so if they are still raising young.

Tags
female pigeon, gut bacteria, male pigeon, male pigeons, pigeon supply, pigeon supply houses, respiratory infection