Pox - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 16th August 2019, 07:37 PM

Pox

I have 2 babies I'm trying to hand raise. Paratyphoid swept through my coop and their parents abandoned them. Looks like 1 baby has come down with pox. They're about 2 weeks old. I've really been struggling with the smaller baby. Extremely slow crop and now pox. It started out over the eye. I thought it was a mosquito bite. As of today it's covered her nose and has a spot on the other side of the face. I have ordered medication from global pigeon supplies but will take a few days to get here. Is there anything I can do in the meantime. She is breathing through her beaks and I'm very concerned. Could this he why I'm having trouble with the crop. I've had them out of the coop since Saturday. Will the nest mate get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 16th August 2019, 09:07 PM
Never mind...she just died
Posted 16th August 2019, 11:29 PM
Sorry you lost her.

Posted 17th August 2019, 01:41 AM
A pigeon with pox will sometimes get a secondary infection like canker. Always handy to have some metronidazole available just for in case.
Posted 17th August 2019, 08:12 AM
You seem to be struggling in your loft with sickness and disease.

I would strongly suggest.

One. Do not buy any new birds. New birds need to be quarantined for lengths of time so they do not introduce a disease into your loft.

Two. Stop breeding. Letting pigeons hatch everything they lay is irresponsible, plus it can affect their health in lowering immunity. USE FAKE EGGS. These allow the hen a rest to rebuild calcium in her body while she sits on fake eggs. Calcium always available.

Three. Decide on what breed you want, a mixed bag of pigeons breeding can result in mutt pigeons that you may be ok with , but if you had to rehome for some reason, no one really wants mixed breed pigeons. A breeding area with only one breed to work on is best, with them only having a few clutches that hatch in one years time. Health is the reason. Breeding should be in early spring before all these biting insects come out in full force.

Four, feed a clean pigeon feed, a seed and grain mix.. not pellets, as these make for larger loose droppings and a dirty loft.

When you have one breed to work on that you want to reproduce, then do it with purpose, breed best to to the best.. only healthy pairs with good traits . Keep a closed loft policy so you don’t introduce disease in your loft.

With pox, there is not much to do , except perhaps spray for the mosquitoes during peak season. If you keep your breeding in early spring there should not be pox in your young.

I live on the humid east coast with a lot of mosquito activity and have not had one case of pox in the 10 plus years I’ve kept pigeons. The young can be vulnerable if you have summers with mosquitoes.

Last edited by Ladygrey; 24th August 2019 at 11:15 AM..
Posted 19th August 2019, 07:32 PM
Ladygrey...none of the birds that died were on eggs and hadn't laid yet this year. I have 2 different breeds of birds but they haven't interbred and I will put in fake eggs if they did. I do feed pellets but because I clean the coop daily I don't think it's a problem.

Thankfully, it appears everything has run its course. Talked with Foys and will be sending in a stool sample if this ever happens again. Lost a total of 6 birds and 2 babies. But both the babies I lost belonged to satinette and I suspect they may be 1 baby birds.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Posted 20th August 2019, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoppock View Post
Ladygrey...none of the birds that died were on eggs and hadn't laid yet this year. I have 2 different breeds of birds but they haven't interbred and I will put in fake eggs if they did. I do feed pellets but because I clean the coop daily I don't think it's a problem.

Thankfully, it appears everything has run its course. Talked with Foys and will be sending in a stool sample if this ever happens again. Lost a total of 6 birds and 2 babies. But both the babies I lost belonged to satinette and I suspect they may be 1 baby birds.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Your welcome.