(Presumably) Frozen Collared Dove - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 12th January 2017, 02:02 AM
Exclamation

(Presumably) Frozen Collared Dove

Someone found a collared dove outside in really cold weather (-10C / 14 Fahrenheit) and brought it to me and I've been warming it up ever since as much as I could.
I honestly have no experience with birds whatsoever, but I love them and I'd be really sad if it died.
The problem is, it's breathing with its beak open and its' head keeps drooping to the left side. Dad says it will die but I refuse to give up on it.
I managed to make it drink a few droplets of water but not more than that.
I can see it's breathing more...extremely, to say so? As if it's taking bigger gulps of air.
It can stand on my hand if I put it, but it's a little off balanced. It will look at me but otherwise if set down it will droop to the side.
I'm now keeping it under a lamp which doesn't have that much heating to be dangerous but it still provides little heat.
Right now, it just turned its head literally upside down and it scares me. Will it really die? And what can I do?
Sorry if posted in the wrong thread, I'm just really trying to write this out as fast as possible to get some answers instead of mindlessly searching google.
EDIT: I'm from Europe, Romania. Just if that info helps anyone
UPDATE: It just died, 11:14 AM. I'm sorry to have failed it but honestly I tried everything I could.

Last edited by Emypony; 12th January 2017 at 02:14 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 12th January 2017, 07:03 AM
Am sorry to hear he didnt make it but glad for your trying to help him. You provided help and comfort which means a lot. Thank you.
Posted 12th January 2017, 10:12 AM
I'm sorry you lost him. If something like that happens again, have a heating pad, set it on LOW only, put a layer of towel over it, and put the bird on that. It will warm him. He was probably too sick when you found him. Also, don't ever put water into the beak, as you can get water down the wrong tube and aspirate a bird easily. Just place drops on the outside of the beak and let him suck it in, or place the beak gently into some tepid water, but not over the nostrils, and see if he will drink himself. But always warm a bird first, before giving anything.
Thanks for trying for him.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 19th January 2017, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I'm sorry you lost him. If something like that happens again, have a heating pad, set it on LOW only, put a layer of towel over it, and put the bird on that. It will warm him. He was probably too sick when you found him. Also, don't ever put water into the beak, as you can get water down the wrong tube and aspirate a bird easily. Just place drops on the outside of the beak and let him suck it in, or place the beak gently into some tepid water, but not over the nostrils, and see if he will drink himself. But always warm a bird first, before giving anything.
Thanks for trying for him.
Thank you for the replies.
I only dipped the tip of his beak in water as it was opened, so he seemed to notice it was there and drank it, since dripping a few water droplets onto its beak didn't work.
I don't have a heating pad so that was, mostly out of the question. I did put it over my radiator, with a towel in between to see if he'd warm up a little more, but it didn't (I only left him there for a couple of minutes, too, didn't want to risk anything as I have next to zero on bird knowledge whatosever). I kept trying to warm him up but no matter what I did, when I touched its skin under the wings or feathers, it was always so cold. I'm sad as well that it died ;(

Last edited by Emypony; 19th January 2017 at 06:10 AM..
Posted 19th January 2017, 02:01 PM
IF that happens again, you can fill soda bottles with warm water and wrap them in small towels and place them around him.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Tags
dove, frozen, pigeon, sick