Putting a stringfoot pigeon to sleep - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 13th August 2019, 07:27 AM

Putting a stringfoot pigeon to sleep

Hello,

A city pigeon started coming to my balcony with her male mate a couple of months ago. I was feeding them regularly and everything was okay untill the female came with a string tied between her feet making her unable to walk. This happened about a week ago. The pigeon was becoming weaker and weaker. She would land and immediately sit on the ground. Then she wouldn't move for a long time. She looked very tired. But still if she saw food next to her, she wouldn't move immediately. Sometimes she would make weird sounds that seem like crying when I put food next to her, move her wings like she wants to move, then finally getting herself to food by flying or walking on one leg.
I would like to help this pigeon but the articles I read on the internet say that the solution would be to catch her first, then clean her feet from the strings. My problem is with catching this pigeon. I don't mean that I don't know how to catch her. I've read a couple of articles and saw videos. Some methods suggested a trap and others suggested just letting her start eating and very quickly catch her from above by placing my hand on her back.
I tried the second method but it didn't work. I scared her and she flew away in panic. I'm re-building trust with her right now. I'm letting her enter the kitchen and eat from within a box in which I made a hole. It worked and she went in and out several times today.
My problem now is that I want to try to put her to sleep without catching her.
Is there some kind of food or mix that would put a pigeon to sleep? Maybe a medication?
Some kinds of tea would put a human to sleep. So what about pigeons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 13th August 2019, 08:23 AM
Hi, why do you want to put her to sleep????
Posted 13th August 2019, 09:06 AM
No need to euthanize her. You can easily remove all those strings. Just get a headlamp for better vision and a small pair of sizzors. Cover her head with a soft blanket to make her feel more at ease and then start working on removing the strings. Just think how proud you will be when you see her out there and know that you saved her life.

Posted 13th August 2019, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwood45789 View Post
Hi, why do you want to put her to sleep????
Then it's easier for me to work on cutting the strings. I have only two hands.
Posted 13th August 2019, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
No need to euthanize her. You can easily remove all those strings. Just get a headlamp for better vision and a small pair of sizzors. Cover her head with a soft blanket to make her feel more at ease and then start working on removing the strings. Just think how proud you will be when you see her out there and know that you saved her life.
Covering her head with a blanket without scaring her is the main problem. That's why I'm looking for easier solutions.
Is there no food/drink/medication that can make pigeons sleepy?
Posted 13th August 2019, 01:00 PM
Hi, you can do it with 2 hands hold the bird in your left hand with your 2 fingers between the birds feet turn her upside down and take off the string with your rt. hand i have done this many times. Beachwood
Posted 13th August 2019, 09:48 PM
I think there was a misunderstanding. A lot of people refer to having a animal put to death will refer to it as needing put to sleep. Good luck to you and you might have just made a long time friend,
Posted 13th August 2019, 10:57 PM
Get a friend to help you. He can hold the pigeon and then you can remove all the strings.
Posted 17th August 2019, 07:13 AM
Is the issue that you can't catch her or that if you do, you don't this you'll be able to work on her?

I occasionally destring pigeons in my neighbourhood. It's very satisfying. Sometimes I can't catch one and twice I had them but they escaped which was such a shame.

In terms of catching them I can't help much because it depends on your angle/situation. I'd be inclined to try and get them to walk inside something for food or throw a blanket over them if either is possible, rather than getting her to eat out of your hand but it really depends. I usually feed the group with the seed in one small, concentrated area
and then when they start climbing over each other and aren't paying attention to me, I drop my hand directly on top of the one I want.

If your concern is the second thing - working on the bird once you have it - this part is pretty easy compared to catching them. First, hold tight once you have them - they can get away unexpectedly. Second, I put a small ankle sock over their heads (I do the same when I parasite spray them). They're much easier to handle once they can't see.

Good luck! It's super satisfying to do this and so heartbreaking when you can't catch one in trouble when it would be so easy to help them. I've had both.

Tags
sleep, stringfoot