Rescue attempt - Page 6 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 7th November 2011, 07:24 AM
The biggest thing I've discovered about pigeons is that they are sooo different than parrots. "Craow Dum" (my pigeon) is more like a dog. He follows me around and sits by my feet. He purrs like kitten when petted and held. He is very comical because he looks like a big doofus flapping his wings and "air walking" with his chubby little legs. Who would've ever thought pigeons would bring so much joy to your life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 11th November 2011, 02:24 PM
It's so inspiring to hear these success stories! Hazmat is flying more, now, and eating like a champ. He does better with the dove seeds and pellets, too, though he is getting the hang of the bigger seeds.

His voice is breaking as well ... he mostly grunts, but has done a couple of tentative rookookoos... I am thinking he's a he, but still unsure. He's walking really well now, and loves to patter about all over the place.
Posted 11th November 2011, 02:35 PM
Oh, and yes, I am totally amazed at his recovery. I really had very little hope when I brought him in, but he surprised me completely. I got lucky and nailed the diagnoses -- or at least got close enough to use meds that addressed what was ailing him. Baytril is very broad spectrum, so it isn't a bad go-to option with anything that looks like potential paratyphoid. Treating for canker and coccidiosis is never a bad idea with a feral.

I'm still thinking he had paratyphoid -- everything points to it. In any case, he's almost fully recovered -- still has a few balance issues, but they are resolving, and he seems like a genuinely happy little bird!

My main flock is vicious -- they will attack any bird that shows the least sign of weakness... I've had to remove two hens from the main aviary because they were getting beat up

I have one particularly bossy male who will start attacking, and then the others start doing it too --

Hazmat gets a lot of people time, and has the company of two other solo housed, handicapped, tame pigeons nearby, so he's not alone... and he is pretty bonded to me at this point. I think it is best to leave it that way.

Posted 11th November 2011, 07:09 PM
Nice to know he's doing so well. Where do you house the handicapped birds?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 11th November 2011, 08:55 PM
My birds are all indoors -- we live in a spacious loft. The main aviary is in the big room, and so are the two mated hens and the doves. The handicapped ones are in the smaller lounge, where we spend most of our time. Each has a separate space -- one isn't flighted much at all and has a bad congenital dysplasia (like a severe splay leg), so she has a fleece lined cage right next to where I sit and work. One has a big, private hutch that I built -- he can fly some, but has a pretty bum wing, and is also extremely tame.

Hazmat is also in a fleece lined medium sized cage at the moment, and still somewhat separate from the others -- I don't think he is sick anymore, but I am still being cautious. He's getting a big hutch in a couple of weeks, as soon as I have time to build it. He's ready ... he did a couple of very adept landings today!
Posted 11th November 2011, 09:22 PM
The tame one with the bum wing --named Slayer -- is a funny story ... he literally just showed up in our place this past spring. He obviously came in the window -- I'm thinking he was part of the roof flock, and couldn't make it back to the roof, maybe...?

Anyhow, one morning, here is this injured, scrappy looking pigeon just sitting on the floor next to our aviary ... I walked up to him, and he started peeping. He couldn't fly much at all -- I think he was probably hit by a car. There was no sign of injury to the wing other than a bad bruise ...

Well, he bonded to me like nobody's business, and has had almost no interest in the other birds at all -- he really prefers people. He's all healed up and huge and gorgeous now, but the wing never fully recovered -- and he is perfectly content to spend his time with us rather than the other birds.
Posted 12th November 2011, 07:57 AM
I think Slayer was lucky to get inside to you. When one of the flock that comes here is sick or injured, they hang around my aviary also. It's like they aren't able to leave with the flock, but just being near my loft, where they can see or hear the birds inside gives them comfort. So then I go out after dark and try to catch them. Makes it a bit easier that many of them will roost on top of the aviary for the night.

Why is the one with the splayed leg unable to fly? My Scooter has a badly splayed leg, but flies pretty well. Chases us all over the house. She didn't fly when we first got her, but we worked with her and she learned. She can even stand now, and walk a bit, and her leg goes out and to the back. She has amazed us with what she has been able to accomplish. She's my computer buddy, and has a shelf just over my shoulder when I'm on the computer. We have put up shelves for her to sit on when out of the cage, which is most of the time that we are home.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 12th November 2011, 11:02 AM
I also enjoy reading all these success stories.
Craow Dum grunts or rather barks like a dog. He will coo (more like a purr) when he is being petted. He had been a "favorite client" at my veterinary clinic.
Posted 18th March 2012, 03:12 AM
Sorry I lost track of this thread -- I wanted to post an update.

Hazmat is doing very well -- he never got full use of his legs back, and his balance is still wacky (he falls over pretty easily, and once his legs get going, he has no brakes) -- he clearly has some permanent neurological damage -- but all in all, he is a very resilient little bird .

He likes to play-wrestle with me, coos fiercely, and loves to have his head scratched (he can't get his legs to work well enough to scratch his neck, so I do it for him).

Jay3 -- Psyche, my darling with the horrid splay, can't fly because her leg catches in her wing -- her leg looks like it is on upside down and backwards. My only option for fixing it, according to my vet when she was little, was amputation -- it's a congenital dysplasia, apparently, not a normal splay. (I have a splay legged ringneck dove who flies just fine.)

Psyche can fly a little, but not well at all -- . She lives in a fleece lined hut, right next to where I sit and work -- and she has a little fleece nest that she sits -- she "purrs" too, and sings little love songs to me -- and would be happiest if I could pet and cuddle with her 24 hours a day, or perhaps just move into the nest with her... lol. She has a little doggy bed that she sits in on the couch next to me, when she isn't in her hutch.

I'm not entirely sure that Psyche is actually a female, as she's never laid (and she is clearly mated to me)-- but she certainly behaves like a hen, so I refer to her as "she."

Now that Hazmat is well, I've moved his hutch right next to Psyche's -- they seem to enjoy each other's proximity -- not enough to be in the same hutch (Psyche pecks him when he gets too close if they are out together) -- but next door works just fine.
Posted 18th March 2012, 04:25 AM
Glad to hear Hazmat is doing well
I have 1 bird, 'Trouper', with the same leg problem as Psyche. More than just a splay. His leg is out of the hip socket, curled backwards and up over his back. He has a large 'handicap' cage next to my desk and gets around fine. Only option was to amputate the leg, but it doesn't interfere with his wing so I decided not to. He hops backwards, flapping his wings to get wherever he wants to go........He has mastered 'parallel parking', he backs up, turns then straightens out

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 18th March 2012, 12:32 PM
MsFreebird -- that is the same thing Psyche has going on with her leg -- it is out of the socket, and it curls up and back. I didn't have the money for surgery when she was little so I didn't have it amputated -- that may or may not have been the best thing, but she had adapted to it just fine. Even if I had the money for surgery now (I don't), I think I would just leave it be -- she's used to her body being this way, and it doesn't seem to cause her any pain.

She hops and flaps, and gets where she needs to go, and her hut is all fleece lined, so she doesn't get injured doing that.

The parallel parking thing is really cute, lol!

Tags
rescue, respiratory infection