Rescued Pigeon Making Gulping/puking sounds - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 19th August 2019, 10:34 PM
Let us know how he is doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 21st August 2019, 08:26 AM
He's been having some diarrhea specially right after medication. He has also been having some bubbles in his poop. Except that he seems fine. Should I be worried?
Posted 21st August 2019, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4AX View Post
He's been having some diarrhea specially right after medication. He has also been having some bubbles in his poop. Except that he seems fine. Should I be worried?
Antibiotics kills good gut bacteria and causes diarrhea in birds like it does in humans.

Give a PROBIOTIC for birds, opposite the time he gets his med.. you can use apple cider vinegar in his drink water, three tablespoons for a gallon.. eyeball it if you have a water dish depending on size if doing it every day. It’s easier to mix some up and keep it in the fridge. Acv works as a prebiotic, where the good gut bacteria thrive best.

Last edited by Ladygrey; 21st August 2019 at 12:23 PM..

Posted 21st August 2019, 10:59 AM
Bubbly droppings can be a sign of a yeast infection. Just like humans get after antibiotic treatment. Yeast will show as tiny white spots in the back of the throat. It will be good to have Nystatin on hand, just for in case. You will be able to get this from a pharmacy. Thick yellowish fluid. Keep an eye on him. If the droppings don't improve with the ACV in the water, then you will need to give the Nystatin.
Posted 22nd August 2019, 04:23 PM
He's still making gulping/throwing up sounds, I haven't really noticed a lot of change, although he's been getting more comfortable and trying to fly around a bit more. He's a bit picky about food, he particularly likes millet straws which I'm thinking it might be because it's easier to grip and eat, he eats way more when eating millet straws than eating his grains. I'm also not sure how much he's drinking I did supplement his water with ACV.
Posted 22nd August 2019, 10:43 PM
So he is getting treated for canker with metronidazole? We usually give 50 mg for an adult pigeon. Have you ever checked way back in his throat for yellowish growths? If there are growths and they are getting smaller, then you will know the meds are working. Usually one sees an improvement within 3 days, sometimes it takes longer.
Posted 23rd August 2019, 03:46 AM
Quote:
He's still making gulping/throwing up sounds, I haven't really noticed a lot of change, although he's been getting more comfortable and trying to fly around a bit more. He's a bit picky about food, he particularly likes millet straws which I'm thinking it might be because it's easier to grip and eat, he eats way more when eating millet straws than eating his grains. I'm also not sure how much he's drinking I did supplement his water with ACV.
Just wondering have you been around pigeons beforehand?
It is possible he could be making sounds that are not related to sickness.

Pigeons can make grunt noises and other seemingly strange sounds.

Last edited by Ladygrey; 24th August 2019 at 11:08 AM..
Posted 23rd August 2019, 04:37 AM
No this is my first pigeon, I know that pigeons make strange sounds like that but he sounds very intense and he looks like he's actually about to throw up while making the sound, I hope it's normal behaviour, something like sound clips to compare it to would be helpful. Now granted he was found on the road he might have some inner injuries that I don't know of. We checked his throat before giving him metronidazole it seemed fine but we proceeded to give him metronidazole in case canker just wasn't visible or if he had any other infections. He doesn't seem very sick just a little skinny and unactive but he's starting to get a little bit more curious.
Posted 23rd August 2019, 07:44 AM
Can you post a video of him making those sounds? Don't think he will have internal injuries, those are usually fatal. Continue with the metronidazole and finish the whole course, even if he seems better. For how long do you need the give the metro?
Posted 23rd August 2019, 09:01 AM
I don't think I am able to record him making those sounds unless I stay up all night with my fan off. I have already tried to record it but the sound didn't pick up because of the fan. The treatment will end on sunday only 7 days of treatment. He is so busy looking out of the window all the time that I have to pull down the curtain to get him to eat, I feel kinda bad, should I take him out with a leash sometime?
Posted 23rd August 2019, 10:35 PM
No, keep him inside until he is healthy again.
Posted 24th August 2019, 11:05 AM
Quote:
No this is my first pigeon, I know that pigeons make strange sounds like that but he sounds very intense and he looks like he's actually about to throw up while making the sound, I hope it's normal behaviour, something like sound clips to compare it to would be helpful. Now granted he was found on the road he might have some inner injuries that I don't know of. We checked his throat before giving him metronidazole it seemed fine but we proceeded to give him metronidazole in case canker just wasn't visible or if he had any other infections. He doesn't seem very sick just a little skinny and unactive but he's starting to get a little bit more curious.
So you have not been around pigeons before, but you still say you know pigeons make strange sounds.. so which is it?.. lol..

The pigeon could be making normal sounds for a pigeon and you may not be aware that it is normal.. for him. That is if your first statement is true.
Posted 25th August 2019, 08:53 AM
Everybody knows that pigeons make strange sounds, that doesn't mean they know every kind of sound they can make. I'm only trying to find out if the bird is sick or not, and being rude is not going to get me anywhere. Sorry if you're just having a bad day.
Posted 25th August 2019, 10:07 AM
You can always google on youtube "pigeon vomiting" to see exactly what happens when they try to vomit. His body will bent forwards, shaking, with the mouth open and the wings away from the body. Not nice to see that happen.

Hopefully he is just cooing, with the chest inflated. How is he doing btw?
Posted 25th August 2019, 11:40 AM
https://youtu.be/hjUe0D9IMlE?t=70 found a sound that was quite similar altough his sound is more pronounced. Does this mean he's a girl?

He's doing better, but I think he might be a bit depressed, and not very stimulated, he doesn't have anything to do. But he's flying better at least.

Tags
cooing, gulping, puking