Rescued Pigeon Reinfected with Worms? How! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 29th October 2019, 06:59 PM

Rescued Pigeon Reinfected with Worms? How!

Hi guys! I rescued a pigeon Sept 9th and this post is basically the breakdown:

https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/#/topics/118226?page=1

Everything seemed to be finally going on the right tract until today I found a worm in his poop!! UGH! Heres a time line of his history if anyone can explain how he got reinfected and best next step id really appreaciate it 😞 😞 😞

Sept 09 - Date of rescue. During the week found worms in poop so -

Sept 14th - Vet gave Ivermectin anf Metronizadole for canker just in case

Sept 21 - Recheck still worms in poop, this time different worms vet gave Ivermectin and Baycox.

Sept 25 - Found yeast infection, so gave Diflucan

In Oct his poop was off again so
Oct 11 - They did a fecal and found it was Coccidia. Trimethoprimsul for 14 days

Oct 12 I went on Vacation and came back Oct 23rd. Noticed he hasnt gained much weight (still around 240/245g). Since my roommate gave meds on and off I stuck to a fixed schedule meds 2x a day and finished the treatment. However during this time I visibly noticed pidgey is less active, more fluffed up, visibly "sick" looking. Once in a while the urate is a bit pink or greenish and I thought maybe all these meds is too much on his liver. Finished med on Sun, Mon he was more active, then today after work I SAW A WORM!!!

How did he get the worm again?! And how could the Sept 21 fecal not show it up? Im thinking could he have picked it up throw picking at the potting soil for my plants, or maybe on the surfaces that I didnt clean up properly? Im so confused!

I plan to bring him back home to my dove so I really need to kill the worms 100% of he doesnt infect the dove too ((

So my question is if I bring the poop to the vet will the worms show up as it didnt Sept 21st fecal? And will too much antibiotic harm the pidgey? Because other than being underweight he is actually very active and cuious, even cooing lots now.

Thanks so much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1572397140551.jpg (965.5 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 29th October 2019, 07:21 PM
Sorry, I meant Oct 11 fecal instead of Sept 21st fecal. Oops.
Posted 30th October 2019, 06:04 AM
Looks like the bird is carrying tapeworms. Ivermectin does not kill those.

Quote” Treatment is also relatively straightforward when it comes to tapeworms in your bird. There are 2 treatment options’ praziquantel or epsiprantel. These 2 medications will be administered to your bird as directed by your veterinarian.”

Posted 30th October 2019, 08:21 AM
worms in pigeons take at least two treatments 11 to 21 days apart, preferably three treatments, to kill the eggs left over after the first treatment. the picture of his feces looks fine to me- they get greenish when the bird is not eating enough. also some parts of the feces look a lot like a worm, but it does not move, and with a knife when you cut the fake worm it seperates easily- not like cutting thru a real worm. so relax and treat again with the wormer in 11 to 21 days, and the worms will be gone. birds can get the eggs injested by probing at dirt where other birds have been. the best way to keep your bird healthy is to have a mesh screen bottom, at least 2" above the floor of its cage, where the feces can drop thru, and it can not get to its own feces. and don't forget to give your bird grit and lots of sunshine.....
Posted 30th October 2019, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alby68 View Post
worms in pigeons take at least two treatments 11 to 21 days apart, preferably three treatments, to kill the eggs left over after the first treatment. the picture of his feces looks fine to me- they get greenish when the bird is not eating enough. also some parts of the feces look a lot like a worm, but it does not move, and with a knife when you cut the fake worm it seperates easily- not like cutting thru a real worm. so relax and treat again with the wormer in 11 to 21 days, and the worms will be gone. birds can get the eggs injested by probing at dirt where other birds have been. the best way to keep your bird healthy is to have a mesh screen bottom, at least 2" above the floor of its cage, where the feces can drop thru, and it can not get to its own feces. and don't forget to give your bird grit and lots of sunshine.....
Ivermectin does not kill tapeworms. They should get another dose to take home from the vet of the right dewormer... I hope.
Posted 31st October 2019, 08:52 PM
So got a new wormer yesterday, treated pidgey twice now but surprisingly no worms o.O

And today I realized the med was Fenvendazole hahhhhhhhh. Hes 240g. Still cant believe the 130g little thing survived and with all these meds too. A true fighter 💪
Posted 31st October 2019, 11:20 PM
And of course I spoke too soon. There was worms, they were just hiding in the feces... vet says treat for 3 days, then second round 7 days later. Is this too soon or no? And how many rounds should I do to prevent pidgey from giving it to my dove?