Ruth: baby pigeon, very hungry - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 28th April 2019, 10:18 AM
If you have a digital scale, then you can rather weigh her instead of forcefeeding her. Then you will know if she is eating enough to gain weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 28th April 2019, 10:20 AM
I have one, but when I tried it with a previous pigeon I wasn't convinced of how accurate it was (weighing the pigeon inside a carrier). I'll give it another try. I religiously take down the weight given by the vet except, of course, for this one time with Ruth. I'm not sure if her starting point, which is a shame.
Posted 28th April 2019, 01:04 PM
Weighing her in a carrier won't work as well, you're right. Some use a paper bag. I made a small container that they just fit into comfortably, weighed it, so when I weigh a bird, I just deduct the weight of the container. 2 small plastic baskets with many holes in them. I used 2 of them and put the bird in one, then cover with the other which is attached with velcro. Very easy to make, and works great. I showed a vet I was seeing at the time, and she loved it and wanted me to make her one. Anything small and light that will work.

You don't have a starting weight on her, but you can start weighing her now, and see if she gains or loses. Would be best to weigh early in the day before she eats.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 28th April 2019, 02:26 PM
That's a great idea, thank you.
Posted 2nd May 2019, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekie View Post
I have one, but when I tried it with a previous pigeon I wasn't convinced of how accurate it was (weighing the pigeon inside a carrier). I'll give it another try. I religiously take down the weight given by the vet except, of course, for this one time with Ruth. I'm not sure if her starting point, which is a shame.
Here at the vet clinic we weigh a thin towel to get its weight and then roll the bird in it burrito style and lay it on the scale that way. Quick and easy.

Rolling up a bird in a towel is a good way to look in his beak , give medications, or if eye exams need to be done, snd of course weigh it. You have to hold the bird with his wings held flat to his body, lay on his side and roll a few times over, fold the bottom up toward his head and finish the roll up and voila.
Posted 2nd May 2019, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
Here at the vet clinic we weigh a thin towel to get its weight and then roll the bird in it burrito style and lay it on the scale that way. Quick and easy.

Rolling up a bird in a towel is a good way to look in his beak , give medications, or if eye exams need to be done, snd of course weigh it. You have to hold the bird with his wings held flat to his body, lay on his side and roll a few times over, fold the bottom up toward his head and finish the roll up and voila.
Have not seen that done. What a great idea! Thanks.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 6th May 2019, 12:29 AM
Good idea, Ladygrey - thank you.

A quick update: Ruth is doing well and eating/poohing normally. I was having a momentary worry about her pronounced bone but she's doing very well. Her tail feathers have just started poking through and she's very spirited. We go back to the vet next Monday for a check, after which I expect it will be a matter of waiting for the tail to grow before I release her.
Posted 8th June 2019, 04:19 AM
I released wee Ruth on Monday. He did an incredible job of growing back his entire tail: it only took five weeks. Here is a video of his release in a local massive park area. He was an an angry wee boy, and I hope he survives and enjoys his freedom.

https://youtu.be/LjR8YsFf88s
Posted 8th June 2019, 09:52 AM
Great, thanks for the update. You should go check on him regularly and take some seed with.