Scared to loose him.. - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 2nd November 2016, 10:52 AM
Exclamation

Scared to loose him..

HI

I am new to the forum and DESPERATELY need advice and help...

I acquired a 6 months old dove at Petland up here in Alberta, Canada. Got him DNa tested and it's a male.

Two days after getting him home, something looked off.. SO I went to the vet. Turns out he had lice.

Didnt take another week and something else was off.. Went to the vet again. Severe bacterial crop infection. It has white blood cell and pus on top of the bacteria. I was scared the vet was gonna say canker but it wasnt. So meds were given

A week later things got worst. Went back to the vet again. And this time, yep, it is Canker. Good ole trichomonas gallinea. He got put on Metro .06 ml every day once a day.

Things seems ok but now the pet store is saying that from now on im on my own. They will not cover for anything else.

I need help in the matter of.. what are the chances of it coming back? I dont want to give up on him but Im going broke here..

What are the chances of full recovery?

What are the chance of having it again later on?

I have been changing his water three times a day and added apple cider vinegar and changing his food twice a day. Added some heat for him and clean his entire quarantine cage everyday with vinegar..

Ive got diagnose with some serious health issues on top of that and lets per say my mental state isnt very strong either..

I dont know what to do..

Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 2nd November 2016, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerztroll View Post
HI

I am new to the forum and DESPERATELY need advice and help...

I acquired a 6 months old dove at Petland up here in Alberta, Canada. Got him DNa tested and it's a male.

Is this a dove or pigeon?
Is this an avian vet you are seeing, or a regular vet?

Two days after getting him home, something looked off.. SO I went to the vet. Turns out he had lice.

You should have come on here, as we could have helped you with that.

Didnt take another week and something else was off.. Went to the vet again. Severe bacterial crop infection. It has white blood cell and pus on top of the bacteria. I was scared the vet was gonna say canker but it wasnt. So meds were given

This actually sounds like canker, and is why I questioned whether it was an avian vet or a regular vet. The bird probably had canker at the time, and it wasn't treated.

A week later things got worst. Went back to the vet again. And this time, yep, it is Canker. Good ole trichomonas gallinea. He got put on Metro .06 ml every day once a day.

Do you know how many mg a day the bird was getting? I cannot tell by you saying .06 ml. You had said that you were afraid it would be canker. I don't know why. Canker is very common, and normally easily treated. The thing is that it is cause by stress. Any kind of stress. It can be from illness, a change in the weather, breeding, over crowding, a new home The list goes on. I will send you a link to an article on it so that you will understand it better. A bird can always get canker. It just happens. But you need to treat it with the right med and at the right dose to knock it down. Metro is good if given at the right dose. That doesn't mean that he will never get it again. But right now he is under a lot of stress. It would be good to keep some Metro on hand in tablet form, because they last forever if kept well, but the suspension won't.

Things seems ok but now the pet store is saying that from now on im on my own. They will not cover for anything else.

I need help in the matter of.. what are the chances of it coming back? I dont want to give up on him but Im going broke here..

Like I said, canker can come at any time with birds. He may never get it again. But if you have the Metro in tablet form, you can treat it without the vet. You should be able to get it there, or if not then online from somewhere who will ship there. Fishzole is Metronidazole, and they sell it for tropical fish. Usually where they sell tropical fish. If you can get it, come back on and we can help you to divide it up to the right dose. If you do find the fishzole, you would need to make sure that there was no other med in it. Some of them now add a wormer. You cannot use that. It would have to be just Metro.

What are the chances of full recovery?
Easy to treat with the right dose, but can get it if under stress. Probably once he is settled in, he will be fine and not get it again, but always a possibility. But like I said, with the right med and dose, you can take care of it yourself.

What are the chance of having it again later on?

I have been changing his water three times a day and added apple cider vinegar and changing his food twice a day. Added some heat for him and clean his entire quarantine cage everyday with vinegar..

You don't have to clean his cage with vinegar. Trich, which causes canker, won't last in the environment. Just change his food and water daily will be fine. Only put a couple of drops of vinegar in his dish if it is a small dish. Don't over do it. Do you have other doves?

Ive got diagnose with some serious health issues on top of that and lets per say my mental state isnt very strong either..

I dont know what to do..

Just hang in there. He will probably be fine. Right now he is very stressed. First being in a pet shop, which is horrible. I think he had canker when you got him and the vet didn't pick it up. That was probably what was wrong with him. Then a new home and new owner...............very stressful for a bird. He will most likely be fine. If you have any problems, you should come on here, and see if we can help you, before running to a vet. That is way too expensive. Usually we can help. If it is more than what we can do, we will let you know to go to a vet. It comes down to having a few meds on hand, just in case something comes up. We can go over those later. We are always happy to try and help with any questions you may have. I'm glad you found us. Can you post a picture of him? What's his name?
Oh yes, and welcome to Pigeon Talk.

Please help
.................................................. .......................................

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 2nd November 2016, 06:40 PM
Hi

Thank you so much for your reply. It really warmed my heart. To me, canker was a big deal. Was like the worst thing he could get. I saw the damage it can cause.. That's why I reacted this way

I don't know the concentration of the medicine honestly.. All I know is how much I have to give him

He is a dove. His name is Igg Salad Samwich. Lol we just call him Samwich. Lol he's the favourite when we go to the vet.

In one month, from being not hand tamed, his progress has been unbelievable. He loves laying down on me and finally starting to like his neck scratches. Loves to come in the shower with me and he's mad when he doesn't get his cuddles first thing in morning and at night.. He finally started cooing last week.

I'll try to post a couple pictures. He's a angel sent to me. I'm so attached and so hurt that he is hurting. Thankfully it is a mild one. The vet indeed said that he came to me with it. Was given by his mother or another baby dove

He's the only spoiled baby at home. Him, my dog and my frogs

Thanks for the positive post. I really needed that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1478133508382.jpg (203.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg image_1478133519251.jpg (178.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg image_1478133579574.jpg (1.13 MB, 31 views)

Posted 2nd November 2016, 07:06 PM
Aww he's adorable and you shouldn't worry about the canker as long as he's being treated - which he is. My five pigeons are all house pigeons, I intend to have my aviary built in the near future but the thought of my little darlings not being in the house with me is pretty awful if I'm honest. They love to snuggle with us don't they? Even my two naughty boys who have to come out together because they hound the girls and bite me whenever they get the chance still love to be close to me.
I'm sure your little babe will recover just fine and he looks like he doesn't have a care in the world. How lovely for him to have you, you'll both be less stressful having each other. I have raised blood pressure which I monitor and it is actually lower when I'm with my little ones. They are very therapeutic and relaxing I find and Samwich is so beautiful too.

My two little rogues (brothers) all fluffed up and sleeping on my feet tonight.
Posted 2nd November 2016, 07:36 PM
FredaH,

Thank you so much for your warm thought as well!

It means a lot. I get worried easily and since I have no kids, my pets are my kids. I have anxiety and it hits the roof when one of them is not ok

I'm glad to hear over again that canker isn't that bad. I guess online int always the greatest to read stuff as it gives you the worst of the worst!

Your babies are adorable! I'm so used to the white kind of colour on dove. And seeing them dark colour on pigeon is a nice change! They look so comfy! Lol

Yes Samwich can be a little brat too. Lol for whoever has ever told me or said that dove don't play with toys, that was a absolute lie!! He's got all kinds of toys and he plays with everything. Including my husband toes. Lol

He is so bright and alert even the vet was surprised I picked up on him being "off" and not ok.. My vet is an avian vet as well. We are in good hand. We all know how it can be difficult to diagnose the little ones

And for the therapeutic thing, you couldn't be anymore right. I think he happened to come in my life at th right time. Even tho it's has been a rough go, it was like rescuing him so he's looking up to me a lot now and my mama instinct kicked in quick!
No way this little guy was gonna go back!

I was furious when they told me.. "You can bring him back and we'll give you a replacement.. I was like.. Pardon me!? This isn't a broken toaster were talking about!!! Arghhhhhh

Thanks again for the warm thoughts. I needed it and Samwich says thanks a lot as well :kiss:
Posted 2nd November 2016, 08:55 PM
Samwich is lovely and you two look quite comfy together. Hope he us all better with no canker soon.
Posted 2nd November 2016, 09:00 PM
I think an avian vet should have picked up on the canker right away. Should have recognized it, and checked for it.
It only caused you a lot of stress and worry for nothing. He is adorable. Nice pic of the 2 of you. Love it! Just relax and enjoy him, and if there are any questions that come up, remember we are here to try and help. Updates and pics are always welcome by the way.
Nice to meet you also.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 20th November 2016, 10:40 AM
Oh my....

When i thought the storm had passed..

So, following up with Samwich canker, he was treated for one week. Then we went back for a vet check. The vet (who has been the same from the get go) said still some bacteria but nothing alive so we are doing good. She said to keep the metro going for another week.

Following week, back to the vet for a check up. He was cleared but i had my doubts...

He got put back in his regular cage, spacious heated/light huge condo. Lol he is spoiled..

Well, last week i noticed his strating to madly itch again. I didnt make a big deal about it as the experience bird people who treated him for lice told me with might need another treatment after 6 weeks. Before anyone ask, the room is kept between 70-75 percent humidity, he has a bitd bath he can bath whenver and ge comes in the shower with me as well. So humidity isnt the issue. He going thru a molt as well so that doesnt gelp. I talk with them and set up a time for his treatment.

In the mean time, hes cheesy breath is coming back, a lot of that bad yawning like hes trying to clear his crop, sneezing but no discharge, watery poops at time but evetyday, not just quite as active as he ysually is and my guts is wrenched in a nut cause i know somethings up.........

I went yesterday to see the bird people. Got his treatment dobe. We talked aboyt every possibilty (i swear those people kniw more about birds then vet, they are god sent for birds around here) and they reassure me im doing everything ok but yes, sounds like something us still not right. They recommended me to a different vet. I guess this gal is THE avian vet if the region and gappens her husband race pigeons! So i booked a appointment for tuesday

Well this morning i woke up to a nasty cage bottom and one poop with bubbles in it.. I am at my wits end. Samwich is only 7 months old. Weve had 6 vet visits in less then 1 month and half, two visits to the bird people, one more vet visit to come....

Like how is this all possible? Whats going on!? I am worried and sad and going broke... i dont kniw how much this next visit will be but ive got well over 500 bucks plus into my baby..... :'(

I also decided to change his food, see if tgat helps. Increase the natural apple cider vinegar in his water and i have been home for two weeks so he gets out of his cage all day and gets lots of attention and cuddles. No more fruits and veggies as per the vet as well until everything us resolve so he hasnt had any in over 4 weeks....

Ugh.

Anyone!?
Posted 20th November 2016, 12:15 PM
When you see the vet you might want ask about a poop culture. Have read that bubbles can be a sign of clostridium or other GI upset. Hope your darling bird Samwich is all better soon!

Tags
canker, death, dove, sick, trichomonas