Sick Pigeon - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 26th December 2007, 02:07 PM
Hi Suzanne,

I suppose if her stomach is upset she might throw up, but throwing up can also be a sign of worms.

I would address one issue at a time, and see how she is in a few days. If she is still throwing up we can address it then. Yes, birds should be wormed annually.

I also recommend some probiotics to repopulate good gut bacteria, as lack of gut bacteria can also cause throwing up. You can also put a drop of apple cider vinegar in the water as that will help establish a good environment for good gut bacteria.

From what I have heard wood pigeons are easily stressed so maybe the throwing up is a result of the stress.

Posted 26th December 2007, 03:22 PM
Hi Suzanne, I'm really relieved to read she laid her egg. We just recently lost one of our young hens because of egg laying problems. Even after undergoing surgery, she simply couldn't pull through. So, I'm particularly sensitive right now to egg laying problems.

I am going to PM a member, Alvin, who, I think, lives in Dublin, to see if he knows of a vet you could contact who could do cultures of your pigeon's poop to check for worms and coccidiosis. Alvin doesn't check in every day but hopefully he can help.

Again, I'm really happy for you.
Posted 26th December 2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks to all the other members who helped, and my apologies for being slow to get back to PT today. Susanne, I'm so glad she laid her egg. But I would look into getting her some additional calcium and vitamin D supplements as well as an annual worming medication. I had a problem with a little finch that was eggbound and I give her Calcivet. It's made by Vetafarm, an Australian company, but you can buy it on-line. You put in the drinking water.

Global Pigeon Supply makes a good 3-in-one medication for Trichomoniasis ("canker"), coccidiosis and worms. They also ship internationally.

Posted 26th December 2007, 05:23 PM
Suzanne,

I was so glad to read that your little hen laid the second egg. I would keep her warm for a couple of days until you see how she is doing and if the vomiting stops.
There are many many pigeon fanciers in Ireland. Go to http://www.pigeonbasics.com/clubs/alllist.php and see if there is a contact for a club near you. These are racing fanciers. They won't be interested in a Wood Pigeon per se, but they will know where to get needed medications etc. and will be the best resource to find local supplies.

Best wishes for your bird to make a complete recovery.

Margaret
Posted 27th December 2007, 06:54 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for your good wishes, she is doing much better today thankfully.
She is resting a lot which is good and hasn't vomitted.

But she is showing absolutely no interest in her eggs - this has always been the case. As soon as she lays them she just gets out of her nest and leaves them. Any advice on this would be welcome as I'm afraid she may lay some more soon.

I will take your advice about the calcium, worming etc on board and look into getting the supplies as soon as possible.

Thanks again,

Susanne
Posted 27th December 2007, 10:23 AM
I'm Glad Your Pigeon Is Doing Better Now. Is She Laying The Eggs Out side her Nest Or In The Nest. If She Is Laying Them Outside The Nest try Putting Them In Her Nest. And if She Can Fly Free All The Time When She Lays Her eggs Try Locking Her In For a few Days With Set Fly Times. She May Just Be Young Still And hasn't Got The Idea To Sit On Them.

Have A Great Day,
Jennifer

Check Some Of My Babys Out At :
http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/horsesgot6/
Posted 28th December 2007, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the tip Jennifer. She lays them in her nest but can fly free all the time. So next time (hopefully not any time soon!!) we will lock her in as you suggest and only allow her out at set times.

Susanne

Tags
apple cider vinegar, avian vet, dummy eggs, egg binding, egg laying, feral pigeon, gut bacteria, male pigeon, nest bowl, nesting material, pet pigeon, pigeon fanciers, pigeon grit, pigeon supply, pigeon supply houses, sick pigeon, wood pigeon