Spot the Pigeon - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 14th April 2019, 12:55 AM
Bird mites can get on people and it has happened. I like the powders also, and keep it in a tin with a powder puff, or you can use a large cotton ball also, and powder him, making sure to get under the wings and vent, tummy and back. Just not in his face.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 14th April 2019, 08:15 AM
Bird LICE are exclusive to birds and will not infest human hair.
Posted 14th April 2019, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
Bird LICE are exclusive to birds and will not infest human hair.
No one is arguing that fact. But mites and lice go hand in hand, and the mites will go to people, so important that the bird is treated.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 16th April 2019, 06:45 AM
Hi Lokie, thanks for the update! I'm really glad to know that you decided to adopt Spot 😊! You found a good friend, that's wonderful!

You could add to the pigeon mix dry legumes (the ones for humans that you can buy at supermarket) like small lentils, mung beans and peas, legumes are really important in a balanced diet.
I also add a mixture for canaries containing dehydrated fruits, my birds love it!

You could look for a complete vitamin supplement (vitamins + trace elements + minerals), something similar to Omni-vit Oropharma would be good:

https://www.versele-laga.com/en/orop...harma-omni-vit

Pigeons need vit D3 to absorb the calcium they get: in the wild they take it from direct sunlight, if they live indoors they need a supplement containing it.

About me I treat my birds with a spray (personally I prefer sprays than powders) containing permethrin. It is possible to spray it directly on birds. If you decide to try it, just be careful to the head/face (eyes, beak and nostrils), you could cover it with your hand or a handkerchief.
Posted 16th April 2019, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
No one is arguing that fact. But mites and lice go hand in hand, and the mites will go to people, so important that the bird is treated.
Most mites will die within 3 weeks without a blood meal from a bird host .
They can bite humans but cannot survive on humans as a result test biting while look for a bird host .

Not as common as bird lice which are hard to see and found and stay on the birds feathers. Hopefully his pigeon has neither, but he may treat for external parasites all together , even if there are no mention of symptoms of mites.
Posted 29th June 2019, 12:32 PM
The landscapers started on my garden a couple of weeks ago and the aviary has just started going up. The roof isn't on yet but it's a great size, 18 foot long, 6 foot wide, so plenty of space to put things in there to make it as natural as possible. He tries to have a little fly in the house so and hopefully it will encourage him to fly a bit more.

I've started collecting bits and bobs to go inside but I can't wait for it to be finished. He'll be able to go out while it's summer and then climatise ready for the winter.

Here's a photo of the aviary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16+.JPG (445.4 KB, 34 views)
Posted 29th June 2019, 01:42 PM
Thumbs up

lokie/spot

dear lokie,-your doing a great job,-and spot is very lucky,..-those with pmv..the immune system suffers --try electrolytes and probotics with the seeds/grains..--most pmv victims are keepers,-in 15 years I have only released [2]-,some birds cannot feed themselves.-and elude capture and die..--sincerely james waller
Posted 29th June 2019, 02:34 PM
Thank you James.

Spot was lucky and didn't have PMV anywhere near as bad as I've seen in other birds. He's always managed to feed himself even if it did take longer when he first showed the symptoms.

Until I came across this forum I was planning to let him go but when I realised that wouldn't be possible I decided to keep him. He does sometimes turn his head upside down but most of the time you'd think he was just a normal pigeon.

He doesn't seem to like the proper pigeon mix that I buy for him very much and throws it around mostly. He will eat wild bird food but his favourite is sunflower hearts.

Should I give him electrolytes and probiotics regularly all the time? I have had a look at supplements but there are so many, I'm not sure what he would need.
Posted 30th June 2019, 06:29 AM
Hi Lokie, thanks for the update! Spot is a really lucky pigeon!

The supplements (like vitamins, probiotics, ACV water, etc) should be given regularly, some of them are weekly treatments, other are monthly, just follow the directions for use.

It's important to leave always available a source of calcium (in a separate bowl from seeds). My pigeons love pickstones/picking blocks, they are good sources of calcium. There are different types of blocks having different ingredients like oyster shells, insoluble grit (the small stones which help to grind up the seeds), minerals, anis (it helps with digestion), clay, etc. If you decide to buy one, I will explain you how to give it to Spot. If you prefer, there are also water soluble calcium supplements (in this case just follow the directions for use).

Try to offer him a large variety of seeds and legumes. I always buy pigeon/dove mixes of different brands and mix them each other, I add dry legumes (the ones for humans that you can find at supermarket) like small lentils, peas and mung beans and a mixture for canaries containing dehydrated fruits. In any case, all pigeons have different tastes 😊!
Posted 27th July 2019, 02:56 AM
Spot finally went into his aviary a couple of days ago.

He's got several pieces of artificial grass which he's used to lying on in the house and there are some perches and places to stand which will be altered when I see how far he's able to get up.
His rabbit hutch will also be made higher as necessary, although at the moment he's not keen on going into it.

I thought he might panic a bit as he hasn't been outside for a long time but he headed straight for the food and then a bath.

He's flying onto the black table with the grass on, which seems to be his favourite place, but not attempting to fly any higher at the moment.

Yesterday some wood pigeons came down in the garden and he reacted to them. It made me feel really sad that he can't be out there with them.

On the evening he started to climb up the wire, something he's always done in his house cage when he wants to come out. He seemed quite agitated so I went and sat in the aviary with him for a while
and he came and sat with me. The aviary is quite near the house and I'm in and out of the garden all day so he does still see me a lot.

I suppose it's early days but maybe he's more bonded to me than I realised. I think he'd actually be quite happy just living free in the house but that's not possible because I have a cat and also a respiratory illness
which I have to consider. I've been bringing him back into his house cage at night so will probably carry on doing that and see how it goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spot in the aviary.JPG (209.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Spot in the bath.JPG (232.0 KB, 24 views)
Posted 27th July 2019, 05:00 AM
Well isnít that lovely.. very nice.
Posted 27th July 2019, 01:04 PM
Love your setup! Spot must be quite content.
Posted 28th July 2019, 04:30 AM
Yes, it's really nice and so helpful having a drain channel inside for easy cleaning.

The last two nights when it's started to get dark he's waited by the door and is happier to come inside so it looks like the house cage will be up for a while yet.
Posted 8th August 2019, 04:08 AM
I've noticed people say that a pigeon likes to have a mirror.

Can a mirror be a substitute for another pigeon to a bird that lives alone?
Posted 8th August 2019, 09:54 AM
You can give it a try. Males will often act aggressive towards the mirror image, females dont. I always provide a mirror in the cage when I have a sick pigeon or rearing a baby. They like looking at themselves.