Spot the Pigeon - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 8th August 2019, 12:54 PM
Thanks Marina B.

I did put a mirror in his aviary a few days ago. At first he was marching around, neck all fluffed out, tail on the floor and making a noise but after a few hours he calmed down and now stand in front of the mirror looking at it and grooming himself.

It might be a coincidence but his behaviour seems to have changed since the mirror went in. He didn't ask to come out of the aviary as it was getting dark so I left him outside overnight for the first time but I was wondering whether he feels like he has another bird in there with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 9th August 2019, 06:00 AM
I'm sure a mirror makes a big difference and will make him feel less lonely. Sounds as if you have a male.
Posted 10th August 2019, 04:11 AM
Yes I was thinking from what I've read about behaviour he's probably a male. He seems to like my company but he's quite territorial about his living space.

I'm still thinking whether I should try to find a disabled female for him, maybe from one of the local rescues so that if it doesn't work out I can take them back to the rescue. I hate to think he's lonely but I wouldn't want them to breed. How could I stop this?

Posted 10th August 2019, 05:25 AM
A mate for him will be much better company than a mirror. You can get fake plastic eggs. So every time eggs get laid, swop them with the fake eggs. They will incubate the fake eggs for about 2 1/2 weeks, abandon them eventually and start the whole cycle again.
Posted 10th August 2019, 08:51 AM
That sounds easy enough. I think I'll see if I can rehome a bird from a rescue then.

Spot spends a lot of time during the day lying in the hutch but at night he sleeps on the grass that's on the table. Would I need to get another rabbit hutch for a second bird or are they likely to share the one space?
Posted 10th August 2019, 10:43 PM
If you get another pigeon, you will need to do a slow introduction. Make 100% sure the new pigeon is a female. Females lay the eggs. If you can, divide the aviary into 2 and put each pigeon seperate from each other. Keep them like that for 2 or 3 weeks. They will need to get used to each other. Then remove the division and see how things are going. You might have to keep them seperate for a bit longer if things don't work out the first time. Make sure the new bird has a perch to sleep on. Remove the mirror when you put the new bird in.
Posted 10th August 2019, 10:44 PM
If they form a couple, the rabbit hutch will probably be the place that they will nest. No need to put another one in.
Posted 11th August 2019, 02:08 AM
Thanks for your advice Marina B. I'll see if I can find a female and give it a go.
Posted 17th August 2019, 10:24 AM
This beauty arrived today. Her name is Penny.

She's very quiet at the moment but fingers crossed that she settles and they get on well enough for her to stay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Penny .jpg (202.7 KB, 28 views)
Posted 17th August 2019, 10:28 AM
Well that is the prettiest bride I ever saw..lol.. good luck I hope they enjoy each otherís company.
Posted 17th August 2019, 10:48 PM
She is a beauty. I hope things work out for them. Keep us updated.
Posted 18th August 2019, 05:37 AM
I was lucky to find a lady who lives quite near to me that does rescue and if things don't work out she'll take her back.

I put her in a dog cage over night but I'm leaving her out in the day as she likes to sit on top of the hutch and she can fly so if Spot's being a pest she can get away from him. She's coming down to the floor for a walk around and feeding ok.

She's a lovely sweet, gentle girl, not like bad boy Spot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Penny and Spot .jpg (210.8 KB, 25 views)
Posted 18th August 2019, 08:48 AM
You will need to get some fake eggs, just to be on the safe side. Hope they fall in love soon.
Posted 19th August 2019, 07:07 AM
Smile

I think it's fair to say it's going quite well, especially as she's only been here for two days. They've just been in the bath together!

The fake eggs are ready LOL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg In the bath.JPG (348.6 KB, 15 views)
Posted 19th August 2019, 07:37 AM
Oh that is so sweet. Don't worry if he chases her a bit, that is part of the pigeon nesting behaviour. The male chases the female to the nest to start laying eggs. All natural behaviour. Seems like things are going well for them.