Strange problem - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 23rd January 2017, 03:52 PM
Exclamation

Strange problem

Hello guys,

Something strange happened to my bird recently and I have no idea what it is.

A few days ago one of my pigeons began to fly a whole lot less when released. But there is no sign of any injury or any other complications, and her poop seems to be solid and normal.

Whenever released, she will fly onto the roof and stand there with one of her wings dropped. I can tell her wing slightly hurts because she keeps picking at it whenever I release her. When I picked her up and looked at her wing, all the feathers were normal, with a few growing in, but she did not have the normal strength to pull her wing back. She felt slightly weak in that particular wing.

What's even more strange is that she can fly off normally, but will land within a few seconds of flying in a circle. So, I know the wing is not broken either. In fact, she had been in her usual large cage for a few days with the other pigeons prior to this happening, So I know she wasn't attacked by another animal and the possibility of her injuring her wing in there is zero.

She's active in the cage right now and eats and drinks normally. She's very alert to her surroundings too. But I'm not sure what's going on with the wing.

But like I said, she drops the wing slightly (She never did this before) and picks at it a few times after being released. Can new feathers cause pain? There is one feather growing in right now.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 23rd January 2017, 10:06 PM
Sounds as tho she has injured it somehow. If she hasn't flown into anything, maybe she hit it on the cage while flapping her wings for exercise, which they will do in a cage.
I would keep her in and let her rest it. How many birds do you have?
How large is the cage?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 24th January 2017, 07:33 AM
Could you please post a photo?

Posted 24th January 2017, 02:06 PM
She has been in that cage for almost 8 years and never once injured herself in there. So I doubt it happened inside... But it's possible, i'm not sure.

I have 6 pigeons in there, and I'm not quite sure about the size. But the cage is used for cockatoos and other larger birds.

It looks exactly like this - but slightly larger.

https://www.mymoonmart.com.au/assets...70/measure.jpg

And yes, I will definitely post a picture when I get home. Thank you for the responses, guys.
Posted 24th January 2017, 02:47 PM
In order to give them the amount of space they should have, the cage would have to be like 3X4 feet square. Two of them could have flown into each other. It happens.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Tags
wing injury pain