Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 2nd August 2019, 10:46 PM
Smile

Sudden lethargy, vomiting, and death. What couldíve happened??

Hello everyone, 2 days ago my pet capuchin hen was acting her normal self, begging for pets and getting her nest ready to lay eggs (this was going to be her second time letting eggs). Yesterday morning, I didnít wake up to her normal morning coos, and instead she was panting, has thrown up her seeds, was pooping a clear/yellow liquid, and was very lethargic but still responding to pets and nodding her head. I wasnít able to get her to the vet in time, and within an hour she gotten worse, then a seizure and died in my hand...
Iím deeply hurt by this, as it was so sudden and she had really started bonding to me. I can barely handle the silence in my room, I miss her so much.

What couldíve happened to her? If I get another bird, could she have had something that could spread to it? Could it have been some reproductive problem? (I had a chicken put to sleep the day before due to some reproductive disease... so Iím a wreck)
Iím scared to get another bird if itís going to get sick...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 3rd August 2019, 12:17 AM
Maybe she was eggbound? Did you give her calcium with added Vit D3 on a regular basis? All indoor birds need this if they don't get exposure to sunlight.
Posted 3rd August 2019, 12:29 AM
No, but I thought the food I gave her would have calcium in it.. Iím pretty sure it does. I started taking her outside on a harness a couple months ago so she could get some sun, but I couldnít take her out much because of the weather (itís either 100 degrees and humid, or pouring rain).
Both me and my mother felt her abdomen, and we couldnít feel an egg anywhere. I was told by some folks on Facebook the egg may have cracked inside her overnight, but I can see where that could happen with a calcium deficiency..

Posted 3rd August 2019, 12:17 PM
Question

sudden death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie b View Post
Hello everyone, 2 days ago my pet capuchin hen was acting her normal self, begging for pets and getting her nest ready to lay eggs (this was going to be her second time letting eggs). Yesterday morning, I didnít wake up to her normal morning coos, and instead she was panting, has thrown up her seeds, was pooping a clear/yellow liquid, and was very lethargic but still responding to pets and nodding her head. I wasnít able to get her to the vet in time, and within an hour she gotten worse, then a seizure and died in my hand...
Iím deeply hurt by this, as it was so sudden and she had really started bonding to me. I can barely handle the silence in my room, I miss her so much.

What couldíve happened to her? If I get another bird, could she have had something that could spread to it? Could it have been some reproductive problem? (I had a chicken put to sleep the day before due to some reproductive disease... so Iím a wreck)
Iím scared to get another bird if itís going to get sick...
dear sophie b,--my most heartfelt condolences,-prey animals hide there illness,-to catch it early would be great.-I know your grievance,it is why I reach out for solace in pigeon talk-forums--as you read through symtoms of pigeon diseases you might find one that kinda fits and hang on to it,-an autopsy[necropsy] -would be the only way for sure..sincerely james waller
Posted 3rd August 2019, 02:25 PM
I am very sorry for your loss.
Posted 5th August 2019, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie b View Post
No, but I thought the food I gave her would have calcium in it.. Iím pretty sure it does. I started taking her outside on a harness a couple months ago so she could get some sun, but I couldnít take her out much because of the weather (itís either 100 degrees and humid, or pouring rain).
Both me and my mother felt her abdomen, and we couldnít feel an egg anywhere. I was told by some folks on Facebook the egg may have cracked inside her overnight, but I can see where that could happen with a calcium deficiency..
What kind of food did you give her?