Swollen eyes, very sick pigeon please help - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 14th November 2019, 11:11 AM

Swollen eyes, very sick pigeon please help

Dear all, last few days I noticed sick pigeon on my balcony. His eyes are swollen, he keeps them closed all the time and is puffed up. Also feathers are dirty and thin around neck so skin can be seen. He eats corn I give him but is very slow when eating. He needs to try it several times until it gets in his beak. I would like to help him but don't know how. I think without help these might be his last days. Going to vet is not an option cause here there are not vets who know wuth pigeons. Thank you a lot in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 14th November 2019, 01:07 PM
Red face

sick pigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine1 View Post
Dear all, last few days I noticed sick pigeon on my balcony. His eyes are swollen, he keeps them closed all the time and is puffed up. Also feathers are dirty and thin around neck so skin can be seen. He eats corn I give him but is very slow when eating. He needs to try it several times until it gets in his beak. I would like to help him but don't know how. I think without help these might be his last days. Going to vet is not an option cause here there are not vets who know wuth pigeons. Thank you a lot in advance.
dear sunshine,-thank you for your thoughfullness of wildlife,-the pigeon requires seeds,grains,water,and sadly meds,-amoxicillin-or/clavamox-and being a feral pigeon,keep isolated in a quiet,warm,place.-keep an eye on the all telling poops,should be dark green with a swirl.--I donot know whats available -dvm,s-in Georgia area,-you might be on your own skills.i know you will prevail,welcome to pigeon talk--sincerely james waller-nicola testla-is my favorite scientist.
Posted 14th November 2019, 02:54 PM
Thank you James. Could you please tell me about dosage for amoxiciclin

Posted 14th November 2019, 04:51 PM
Thumbs down

ill-pigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine1 View Post
Thank you James. Could you please tell me about dosage for amoxiciclin
dear sunshine--10mg x twice daily -x7days,-with--syrine-here is a link for -pigeon diseases- http://www.chevita.com and http://www.thepigeoncote.com this may help identify illness.-for proper dosages/per illness..--sincerely james waller
Posted 14th November 2019, 08:54 PM
Can you post a photo? I always give 12 mg amoxy per 100 gr birdweight twice daily. If he is not eating, he will need to be handfed.
Posted 15th November 2019, 12:57 AM
He might have chlamydia and treatment for that will be with doxycycline.
Posted 16th November 2019, 04:03 AM
Dear all, I somehow managed to catch him this morning on my balcony. I cleaned his eyes and put Tobrex drops. I also put out some white stuff I found in his beak like remains of a feather which stinked. While opening his beak I noticed some yellowish stuff which reminded me of canker I saw on pictures on internet. I will be giving him Tobrex for the eyes. I noticed he is very young because of his beak. He is in box but very nervous. What medication should I give him and what dosage please explain me the whole process. Here are his pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191116_114702_1573902133225.jpg (2.91 MB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20191116_114651_1573902163237.jpg (2.89 MB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20191116_114618_1573902186779.jpg (2.27 MB, 31 views)
Posted 16th November 2019, 04:37 AM
I found Metronidazol for humans tablets 500 mg. Could I give this to him, how much, how often and for how long?
Posted 16th November 2019, 05:06 AM
He will need 50 mg once daily for about 10 days or until the yellow growths disappear. Can you split that tablet in 10 pieces and put a piece straight towards the back in his throat? If he is not eating, he will need to be handfed. You can dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water to get him to drink. With canker, they are very thirsty. Keep on doing this until he starts drinking.
Posted 16th November 2019, 05:07 AM
Also, keep him warm on a hotwaterbottle covered with a soft blanket. When sick, they can't regulate their body temperature. Leave a small bowl of seeds with him.
Posted 16th November 2019, 05:24 AM
I smashed a tablet and half of it (250 mg) put in half liter of water. I thought to give him this water to drink. Could this be ok or I shoud try with 1/10 of tablet although I dont know how to make id 1/10. He is still nervous in the box and does not want to eat seeds eventhough he ate those previous days on my balcony while free.
Posted 16th November 2019, 09:45 AM
He was restless in box so i took him out, wraped with towel, put in my lap and started cudling on his head. He seemed to like it because after that he was more relaxed and eated cca 40 corns from my mum's hand. I gave him water with metrodazol in it which he drank. Hope I will cure him soon 🙂
Posted 16th November 2019, 09:59 PM
Putting meds in the water is no good, you have no control over how much he gets in. Rather crush the whole tablet until it's a fine powder, divide in 10 heaps (50 mg each). Take a small piece of bread, add a bit of water to it and then cover it in the powder. Open his beak and put deep down in the back of the throat for him to swallow. Then you know he will get the correct amount.
Posted 17th November 2019, 03:41 AM
Thank you Marina, I will try that. He is calm and keeps his eyes closed all the time. This morning he ate cca 8 corn seeds and drank water. Before feeding him I had to take out something big and white from his mouth which was stoping him from eating. I don't know if Tobrex eye drops will be adequate because I don't see any improvements.
Posted 17th November 2019, 05:28 AM
That stuff you removed from his beak must be the canker. If there is more, just leave it. The meds will sort it out. Just continue to give him the meds and make sure he is well fed. Put down a small bowl of seeds with him. It usually takes 3 days (sometimes longer) for the metro to start working, just give him time. Even if he looks better, keep on giving the metro until you have done the full antibiotic course of 7-10 days and the beak is totally clear.

Tags
dirty feathers, puffed up, swollen eyes