Tricho plus dosage - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 19th July 2019, 11:12 AM
Picture from tonight: he keeps getting seed stuck to that wound and the fact I have to clean them constantly isn't helping the scabbing. Don't open it if you're a sensitive nature, it's not pretty. The eye seems more red and gets a cloudy film on it since those drops too. They are called Tobrex.

https://i.imgur.com/fSXKs5W.png

It's just heartbreaking because he eats and seems so lively otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 20th July 2019, 12:47 AM
Poor thing. Are you still putting ointment on the beak? Maybe that's why the seeds are getting stuck.
Posted 20th July 2019, 04:11 AM
I am not putting that ointment anymore, the vet prescribed some antibiotic drops for the eye and said to put some of it on the wound too - but that doesn't make a lot of difference. The wound itself is wet and sticky from the scarring, and small seed get stuck in it. I'm cleaning them in the morning and in the evening, but every time he eats he gets them. I managed to sift the small seed today, and I'll see how that goes. This morning he was pacing in front of the window like trying to get out. The eye looked better today, wasn't red and hadn't made that cloudy film anymore.

Posted 20th July 2019, 08:59 AM
What is it with pigeons and polystyrene?
I managed to solve the small seed stuff (I'm sifting them out before giving them, and haven's seen any more seed stuck to his beak today) but he started eating polystyrene from the wall. The wall was painted , but my pigeons started pecking it a while ago and it has places where the white beads are visible...and he's taken a great interest in them.
Posted 22nd July 2019, 11:29 AM
Well, I guess we are now at the worst.

This morning I noticed his beak even more lopsided, and it looked like he would deffo not be able to grab any seed so I sent a message to the vet with a picture, asking when it would be opportune to clean the rest of the necrotic tissue, since I assumed it was what was causing the beak to go like that. I started reapplying that cream this weekend to help with it softening. To my surprise, he had removed it himself today, and the view is...bad. I watched him trying to eat with very little success (he managed to swallow maybe 1/10), but I guess it's good he keeps trying. I sent some pictures to the vet and he thinks he will adapt in time, but also thinks he needs some help with feeding now - so we fed him this evening. It's pretty hard to do, as he broke open the scab on his upper beak, and its again raw. He struggled so much, it was obviously we are hurting him, but he had scant little in his crop and he is still on antibiotics. Eventually we had to just put food down his throat through the hole in his side. I managed to give him about 10 peas and 10 bits of concentrate - which I know is not enough, but he was struggling too much after those.
https://i.imgur.com/r8qcd43.jpg
Posted 22nd July 2019, 10:33 PM
Just horrible! Poor pigeon! Is he able to drink water at least? I don't know if this will work, but you can give it a try: If you can get hold of formula (second choice will be porridge without added sugar and milkproducts) you can mix this with water, don't make it too thick. Offer this to him, he might drink it and will at least get some food in. Mix a little bit of peanutbutter (a brand that has no sugar) in the food as well to make it taste good. Sprinkle some small seeds on top to get him interested.

Hopefully he will adapt. Give him time during the day to practise eating seeds and only forcefeed him in the evenings. You will notice by the droppings he produce if he is eating by himself or not.
Posted 22nd July 2019, 10:44 PM
I can feed him peas (defrosted or dry) and I've also given him concentrated granules (the kind you give to chicken to fatten them). He is trying to eat by himself and while the success rate is low, I did see him succeed. I am not gonna risk feeding him just once per day for now, and will do it in the morning and evening, so he stays strong at least while he is still on the antibiotic. While it's pretty horrible, the easiest way to feed him now seems to be putting food in that hole on the side of his face. I did find the piece he broke off - sadly it is literally a quarter of his beak. I don't know if it could have been saved somehow. I wish he'd stop scratching and getting that nose scab broken.

I don't know if he drinks by himself, it could be indeed a problem. I know pigeons drink by sucking water so maybe he can do it from a deep enough bowl - and he has that. I'll make sure he gets water too when I feed him.

All in all, as said, I don't know if I did this bird any favor by keeping him alive, given the extent of the damage on him. I guess at least he wasn't subjected to death by starvation, although probably the canker would have done it faster.
Posted 23rd July 2019, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphira View Post
I can feed him peas (defrosted or dry) and I've also given him concentrated granules (the kind you give to chicken to fatten them). He is trying to eat by himself and while the success rate is low, I did see him succeed. I am not gonna risk feeding him just once per day for now, and will do it in the morning and evening, so he stays strong at least while he is still on the antibiotic. While it's pretty horrible, the easiest way to feed him now seems to be putting food in that hole on the side of his face. I did find the piece he broke off - sadly it is literally a quarter of his beak. I don't know if it could have been saved somehow. I wish he'd stop scratching and getting that nose scab broken.

I don't know if he drinks by himself, it could be indeed a problem. I know pigeons drink by sucking water so maybe he can do it from a deep enough bowl - and he has that. I'll make sure he gets water too when I feed him.

All in all, as said, I don't know if I did this bird any favor by keeping him alive, given the extent of the damage on him. I guess at least he wasn't subjected to death by starvation, although probably the canker would have done it faster.
If his quality of life is an issue then yes, keeping him alive may not be the kindest thing. But you are his rescuer and we are not there, so it is your call, and I wouldn’t judge you either way.
Posted 23rd July 2019, 10:41 AM
I do not mind feeding him until he adapts and even offering him a home for the rest of his life (although with 2 other males in an apartment, that life might not be the easiest if he is also a male). But I really wonder if he CAN adapt. I found the part he broke off himself, it's literally half of his lower beak. I will not be able to be there every day of the rest of his life for him - I sometimes need to travel, for work or holiday - and if he can't feed himself, what will he do? The doctor told me he he will adapt, but I really don't know if that is really possible. Has anybody seen a pigeon with this kind of damage managing?
Posted 24th July 2019, 08:25 AM
I've read about pigeons with the upper beak missing that were able to learn to eat by themselves. Put down a deep seed dish for him, hopefully he will figure out to scoop up the seeds with part of his lower beak and be able to swallow them.
Posted 24th July 2019, 10:41 AM
I did read about same last night and I prepared for him a deep bowl, with a shape less spill-prone. To my joy, his crop was reasonably firm when we checked him tonight and we decided not to torture him with feeding anymore. We did feed him this morning, and it was a pretty horrible experience. He struggles a lot and with that beak looking so fragile, we're afraid to grab too forcefully. I just gave him his antibiotic and some honeyed water and let him sleep. I did see him eat from the bowl this morning and in the afternoon and he seems to have gotten the idea of sinking his head in it deeply.
Posted 24th July 2019, 10:40 PM
That's great news!
Posted 24th July 2019, 10:51 PM
Well, he seems to be eating, and my husband said he saw him drinking too yesterday. Problem is, he wants to get out. He's pacing in front of the window, trying to go through it, and that is not in the cards for him, possibly ever.
Posted 25th July 2019, 09:37 AM
Maybe he will settle down and adapt when you introduce him to your other pigeons. I really hope that he turns out to be a female.
Posted 25th July 2019, 01:48 PM
I took him out of the little balcony where he was quarantined so far - under supervision (I hope 3 weeks quarantine is safe enough, since today are 3 weeks since we have him). My mated male went to check things out and did a little dance, then i scowled at him and he went back to his wife (they are in lovey dovey week). I took my single male and he looked confused, sang a little and buggered off. Little guy checked around a bit, tried to peck some seed off the floor (and failed), then went back to his place. Eventually he established himself on top of the door, and I took him down when I gave him his antibiotic and put him to sleep.

He seems to be favoring a leg a bit, I wonder when and how he managed to hit that. Nothing looks off, he walks, just seems to favor it a little.

I'm not letting him unsupervised, I don't want him to get bitten/beaten. My mated male is quite territorial.

I do wish little one was a female, but looking at his posture and such, I don't think he is.

Tags
canker, rhonidazole