Tricho plus dosage - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 6th July 2019, 03:46 AM

Tricho plus dosage

I have picked up a baby pigeon in very bad shape from the street. A side of his face looks covered by some yellow stuff - it's not pox, I'm not sure in canker can cover the eyes, or he has been pecked/hit by something. He does have a lot of canker in his beak/throat - I need to push the food down his throat. He cannot eat alone, and I'm not sure, but probably not drink either, since he can't keep his beak shut. We have been handfeeding him defrosted peas and concentrates granules, and yesterday I gave him 50 mg of Flagyl (metronidazole). Today, however, I went shopping for some stuff for my pigeons and I also picked up a couple of satchels of Tricho plus, thinking it would be less toxic for him. My question is however about the dosage: doing it like the label says (one satchel in 2 liters of water) sounds very little, especially since he most likely doesn't drink on his own. We give him water by syringe, but I feel that dosage would be too low. I can mix in a little water a stronger dosage and give it to him, but how much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 7th July 2019, 05:19 AM
Can you post a photo of the baby? Rather continue with the metronidazole, 40 mg once daily. Meds in the water is not so affective. Instead of syringfeeding him the water, rather try dipping the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water to get him to drink by himself.
Posted 7th July 2019, 06:01 AM
Here's some pics I took today, one of his good side and one of his bad one.
I gave him another 50 mg of metronidazole yesterday and he seems to be responding well to it so far. I applied methylene blue and a little metronidazole powder yesterday straight on the lump of canker blocking his beak and throat. He ate on his own today, we woke up later than usual and he already had seed in his crop. We still gave him a few defrosted peas for safe measures and they went down easier than yesterday, we didn't need to push them anymore, he swallowed them on his own. He also scratched his eye and started uncovering it from that yellow crust - it seems the eye is still there, under the lid. We have been applying an antibiotic cream on it since we got him - it's a cream we used on another sick pigeon with great success. In the picture, the gray bit visible where the eye should be is the lid. He was preening himself earlier. His beak is also less open today and he occasionally closes it completely.

The reason we gave him water with the syringe was because his beak was stuck open and he wasn't swallowing anything on his own. We used the syringe to drip the water slowly down his beak. I hope he is also drinking now if he's eating - he's got water with probiotics in it.

Last edited by Saphira; 7th July 2019 at 06:08 AM..

Posted 7th July 2019, 07:49 AM
I could not view your photos, but it sounds as if he is doing well. Always a good thing when they start eating by themselves.
Posted 7th July 2019, 11:24 AM
Trying again with the pics (I can see the ones I posted previously):
https://i.imgur.com/4WLbbpL.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/gFHKfke.jpg
(use "open in another tab" to not get a blank page).

Tinypic, which I used before on this forum for images, keeps deleting them, so I can't use it.

We arrived home a bit late today, but when we went to feed him, his crop was full - so he ate on his own. The eye was a also a little open. We gave him the antibiotic and a few peas just for the sake of it, and left him to sleep. I'm trusting that if he eats on his own, he also drink on his own, though not a lot of water seemed missing. As far as I know canker causes excessive drinking and watery poops, but his poops are pretty good, and he doesn't seem to drink a lot. We applied that cream on his eye to try to soften those crusts that are stuck in his feathers, but he preened himself and took that cream all over.
Posted 8th July 2019, 07:41 AM
Was able to view the photos. Yes, his droppings look good. Continue with the metronidazole and do the full course, just for in case. In the first photo there's a nodule on the beak. Looks like the beginning of pox to me.
Posted 8th July 2019, 10:40 AM
How long should the metronidazole course be normally? I'll check how the inside of his mouth looks before stopping it anyway, he had a lot. He seems to be taking the antibiotic well, he's eating on his own, and his good eye has a focused look. He tried to bite me this morning when I put my hand in his box, and wing slapped me (rather weakly still) this evening. We cleaned his bad eye a little with chamomile tea, and he reacts to movements in front of that eye, so it's functional.

I don't know what to say about pox, we thought about it too, especially since I'm at a loss of what could be on his face, but a part of it started clearing (the stuff that was covering his eye), and for the rest, it feels the entire side of the head is deformed. He's got a hard lump under his beak that feels like bone. In any case, I'm keeping a tight quarantine on his (washing my hands and changing tshirt every time I handle him), as I own 3 other pigeons. One of them is pox immune, as he's a rescue that had pox when we got him, but the other 2 aren't. We keep the sick pigeon in a box in a locked room.

I'm glad he's eating on his own, and that he closed his beak some. It's still deformed, the two halves don't come one right on top of the other, but it seems functional.

Pic from today: https://photos.app.goo.gl/JKnwMxfPbaV5NwqW6 (open in a new tab for pic)

Later edit: I gave him his antibiotic, and checked his throat - it's amazing how much it cleared. On friday it was basically a huge mass almost blocking his throat, and keeping his beak open, now there's a thin sliver of it left, probably a tenth of what it was. Today was his 4th dose.

He's also eager to leave apparently - as he keeps jumping out of the box. He can fly, a neighbour told me she saw him at her window at 1st floor, and he tried to fly from us a couple of times too.

Last edited by Saphira; 8th July 2019 at 12:07 PM..
Posted 9th July 2019, 08:25 AM
Glad to hear he is improving. Normally one would give for 7-10 days, sometimes longer. Continue until all those lesions in his beak are gone, check with a flashlight towards the back of his throat to be sure.
Posted 9th July 2019, 10:42 AM
He seems very lively and eager to leave. He refused to sleep in the box, slept on its edge, and spent the day on the window sill watching outside. I had to move him, as my parents in law will be arriving tomorrow and they use that bedroom. I put him in a small balcony that I can close, and he left the box to explore right away. I kinda wish he wouldn't get microbes everywhere, but I can't lock him either, it's too hot. Guess I'll have to give the entire place a disinfection.

We stopped handfeeding him, he eats and seems to have a healthy appetite, his crop is round and full every evening. I'm still worried about that eye, it still doesn't look a lot better.
Posted 14th July 2019, 06:44 AM
The baby pigeon should have his 10th dose of metronidazole today - my husband is away for few days so I can't check his throat to see if the canker is completely cleared - but I hope I'll be able to check tomorrow. He's weathered the antibiotic really well and is eating on his own, although his beak is still hampering a normal feed.

I'm more worried about the eye, which seems to have a very slow development - I can't even tell if there's been much development over the past few days. This is a picture taken today (open in a new tab)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nEc85J4PWQTn23bt7

I don't know why he doesn't fully open that eye, it doesn't seem hampered by anything anymore. I don't know what is the hardened part of his beak that prevents him closing it properly and if it's ever going to go away. I'm worried of his eye getting worse once he's off antibiotics.

Other than that, he's a lively and gentle bird. Accepts his antibiotic readily and spends all day on top of a shelf in that balcony I keep him in. I've put a tray with water yesterday, and he had his chest damp at some point in the morning, so I think he took a little bath, his first.
Posted 16th July 2019, 11:54 AM
He looked a bit off yesterday, I found him sleeping hidden in a shelf lower. Maybe it was the weather, it rained, and I also got home late. Seemed more lively today.

Problem is, that hardened part on the side of his beak is coming off. It cracked in the upper part and you can see between it and the head and it looks horrible. He almost has a hole in his head. I cleaned his eye - which he still doesn't open completely, and I put antibiotic cream in that crack, but gotta say it makes my stomach clench seeing the horror in that crack. He stayed to care for him almost like a human, flinching only when I accidentally touched the eye, and leaning his head towards me.

I contacted a vet that I went occasionally at with my pigeons to see him tomorrow, as I was pretty worried this morning that that swelling looked bigger - it's not, it just looks like that because it is coming apart from the rest of the head. I was thinking he could try cleaning him - he did that before for a maimed pigeon I cared for, as I don;t have the heart to pull too hard - but seeing the thing coming off tonight I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to force it open, and just hope he will grow some flesh in that hole. I'll still take him to the vet tomorrow, as I had already scheduled an appointment.
Posted 17th July 2019, 08:33 AM
Poor thing. Is the upper beak coming lose from the head? What did the vet suggested?
Posted 17th July 2019, 09:37 AM
I just came back with him from the vet. I honestly don't know if I did this bird a favour by picking him up from the street.

The vet said that crust on the side of the head is necrotic, and removed a large part of it - said it's only an infection danger. You can literally see in its throat now. The breathing channel from that side doesn't exist anymore. He only removed the part on the upper beak, as that had started to come loose, the lower part will also need removing, but at the moment it is still firmly attached and it could have unhinged his beak. I honestly hope it still has a functional lower beak. They cleaned the place, and prescribed me some antibiotic drops for the eye and hole in the face to give him twice a day, told me to put him back on metronidazole for another 2 weeks (I stopped giving him after 10 days, which was 2 days ago), also advised me to change his water often, and be careful not to have flies in the place he stays. Also told me to give him a little bit of yeast. He was pretty impressed that he's eating alone and he thinks some blow was involved too to cause that kind of damage.

I cared for a bird with a nasty case of pox, and I thought I'll not see a bird that looks worse mutilated, but this one proved me wrong. Even in this state, he preened himself on the way home, and went to eat shortly after we arrived and I put the antibiotic drops in his eye/wound. I'll have to give him metronidazole later, and I have no idea how I'll gather the heart to pry open that beak, considering how much is missing of it. The upper part is somewhat ok (well..as it doesn't look like it will come off), its the lower part that worries me more.
Posted 17th July 2019, 11:55 PM
You can be glad you have such a nice vet, mosts vets would have suggested having him put down. If you did not rescue him, he would have died a horrible death out there on the streets. Just take things one day at a time. A good sign that he is eating and preening himself.
Posted 18th July 2019, 10:31 PM
I don't think vets here suggest putting birds down unless you ask it of them, and even then they might not have a procedure for it.
The reason I'm so bleak is because if they have to remove as much from his lower beak as they did on the upper (and they did not remove anything that was remotely salvageable, I looked at it, and it was just puss and dead stuff) - and it looks like they will have to, I'm not sure he will be able to feed himself anymore. Right now the dead part is probably helping him pick food. The doctor also expressed concern that the necrosis might have gone down to his esophagus, and suggested an xRay next meeting.

Right now he is lively, eats and preens, flies as much as the small space he is contained as he can. He moved his sleeping spot from the top of that shelf to a ladder near the door where a pigeon of mine used to sleep, before he moved in my room. I've been putting those antibiotic drops in his eye twice a day as prescribed, but the eye not gets a white film it didn't get before. It does get washed off when I put the drops again.

Tags
canker, rhonidazole