Turned down by Vet, need hlp pls - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 22nd December 2016, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Lovely bird. Thank you for helping him. As Jay3 pointed out it is important that the bones are lined up. Hope he is all better soon.
Thanks, i think i'm getting fond of it more and more, i might just keep it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 22nd December 2016, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosequartz View Post
Thanks Amit for the pictures. Its kind of hard to determine the gender now as they might be tired and sick. Soon after they recover, each gender will show some specific characteristics than the other. So soon after your bird recovers it will be easy to judge it's gender as they would be more enthusiastic. They will take some time to adjust with their new surroundings and with you. So they hid their behaviors.
I will be coming back to India soon and I admit, it's kind of irritating that you won't find much for your pet there. You can clean the feathers having poop as it's not good for the bird's health. You can give him a little practice to stand up. That why he can recover soon. You can keep him in a shoe box or a basket till you find him a cage. It will be better if you can provide him some heat as well.
Rosequartz, i'll appreciate any advice on how to clean up the feathers, or with what? Can i use any detergent?

I am keeping it in a old carton at the moment. With some foam and bubble wrap padding.

and for the heat source i have wrapped a hot water bottle in some more bubble wrap and have put it in the box in a corner, away from the bird.
Posted 22nd December 2016, 11:24 AM
You can wash the feathers with plain water. No soap or detergent required. And for the heat, make him sit on the hot water bag. Make sure the water is not too hot for him and check on his heat. If he has heat, then not required. But since you mentioned it's cold there, you can provide him the heat.
I will gladly advice you to keep him rather than leaving him out cause I know how it is in India and I suggest it's best he stays with you. You can also keep some cloth In the carton box to keep him warm and cozy.
And in one of the photos, I can see the foot is also tied up along with the leg. You can just tie his legs and leave the foot which will enable him to stand up eventually.

Last edited by Rosequartz; 22nd December 2016 at 11:33 AM..

Posted 22nd December 2016, 12:42 PM
Hope you keep him. When a pigeon finds you and adopts you, it is a blessing. Somehow they know who will help.
Posted 22nd December 2016, 04:23 PM
How much are you feeding him?
And how often?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 22nd December 2016, 06:33 PM
What a beautiful bird, I am so glad you found it and are giving it such good care. Thank you for being so kind Amit, pigeons are such adorable birds and they deserve our respect, you're doing a fab job and I wish you lots of luck the leg repair too.
Posted 22nd December 2016, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
How much are you feeding him?
And how often?
I am keeping a soap dish sized bowl available all the time. And i have noticed it eating out of the bowl at its own discretion, almost through out the day.
Posted 22nd December 2016, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Hope you keep him. When a pigeon finds you and adopts you, it is a blessing. Somehow they know who will help.
I agree, somehow they know. I have had injured animals turning up at my doorstep before. Specially dogs. But pigeon a first. I have done what i could.
In our culture its a common belief that if pigeons are part of the household, it means that there is peace and happiness in the household.
Need to get the wife's consent about it though.
Posted 22nd December 2016, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredaH View Post
What a beautiful bird, I am so glad you found it and are giving it such good care. Thank you for being so kind Amit, pigeons are such adorable birds and they deserve our respect, you're doing a fab job and I wish you lots of luck the leg repair too.
Thank you Fredah, I am doing the best my circumstances allow me to do. Please pray, i would really like to see the bird able to fly again.
Posted 23rd December 2016, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit.. View Post
I agree, somehow they know. I have had injured animals turning up at my doorstep before. Specially dogs. But pigeon a first. I have done what i could.
In our culture its a common belief that if pigeons are part of the household, it means that there is peace and happiness in the household.
Need to get the wife's consent about it though.
I think that belief is very sound Amit, I find when I'm sitting with my pigeons I can think more clearly about the ups and downs in my life and be more level headed with decision making. They definitely give me a feeling of peace and serenity and I'm able to focus on the things I have in life rather than what I don't have. It may sound strange but I feel more appreciative of life in general.
There is nothing they take from me but plenty that they give, just beautiful creatures they are.
Posted 24th December 2016, 03:37 AM

Should i get any antibiotics?

An update, last night i got a 15ml bottle of multivitamins and multiminerals which is meant for infants, along with some cuttlebone. I broke the cuttlebone in small wheat sized chunks and hand fed it, and fed it a drop of the multivitamins syrup. Ideally if they are fed oyster shells then cuttlebone meant for budgies should be okay. Just want to give it a calcium boost. Also the multivitamins have got Vit D3 in it, which should help the bird absorb the calcium. Though i am keeping it in the sun through the fair part of the morning.

Also i have redone the legs, keeping the toes free as suggested by Rosequartz.

Should i get any antibiotics, to help heal the internal wound if any? If yes, then what antibiotics can be given? and what are the doses?
Posted 24th December 2016, 08:04 AM
No need of antibiotics. Just mix the multivitamins in water and give it to your bird
Posted 2nd January 2017, 06:03 PM

Back on its feet

Hello,

A very happy new year to everyone .

I am happy to report that the bird in my care has regained some strength in his legs. Its not fully recovered as its just been a week. But he can now reposition himself towards or away from the seed dish or poop or in different areas within the cage using his legs. Earlier i was doing that for him.
I am still hand feeding the medication, but i am happy with the signs of improvement.

Amit
Posted 2nd January 2017, 06:42 PM
Happy New Year to you too Amit and some really good news from you to start it off. Well done for all the care you're giving to this special little guy, looks like you're on the right track. Thanks for the update and please post more when you can.
Posted 2nd January 2017, 08:19 PM
Yes, Amit, good job! Glad to hear the good news.

Tags
broken pigeon leg