Turned down by Vet, need hlp pls - Page 4 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 13th January 2017, 01:46 PM
You haven't posted a pic of the bird now, so no way to know how bad it is. If it's almost like splayed, or he is dragging it, then it will be a large problem. To fly, you need to be able to land. To mate, he needs to be able to balance. If the leg gets in the way too much, then he may eventually stop walking, then he will gain weight and not be able to fly. A vet would need to do the surgery. Not you. That would just be causing more pain and suffering on him with a bad outcome. You need an experienced vet.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 13th January 2017, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
You haven't posted a pic of the bird now, so no way to know how bad it is. If it's almost like splayed, or he is dragging it, then it will be a large problem. To fly, you need to be able to land. To mate, he needs to be able to balance. If the leg gets in the way too much, then he may eventually stop walking, then he will gain weight and not be able to fly. A vet would need to do the surgery. Not you. That would just be causing more pain and suffering on him with a bad outcome. You need an experienced vet.
A vet with a little experience about birds would be good. For the life of me i cant believe that no one is even keeping poultry. I mean thats a big industry which should require veterinary intervention every now and then. I guess i need to look into the country side.

I can always administer medicines in any form or injection. But doing a surgery is way out of my league.

I will post the picture next.
Posted 13th January 2017, 08:38 PM
Amit, hope things go well. Thank you for helping the bird. Pigeons are tough and resilient.

Posted 14th January 2017, 08:24 AM

A little hope at last

Today, i went to the Live Stock Development Corporation which is state agency looking into, well the name is quite obvious. Their head quarters is quite nearby, just a lousy government office. I went to see the chief of the Animal health department to find out where is their closest clinic which looks into the poultry business.
On further conversation with the Head of department who is quite a senior man in his late fifties. He reveals that he is a qualified Vet himself, but off course he stopped practicing in the field many years back, got promoted and has been pushing papers since.
We had a good long conversation since its a Saturday afternoon, and everyone was already in the weekend mood. I realized that this man has wealth of knowledge and experience, even as a big game vet.

I jumped to seize the opportunity. Armed with persuasion and conviction I asked him to help out the poor bird, i showed him the pictures which i have posted here. And finally he agreed to look into the case. He told me to take the bird to him on Monday. He wouldn't charge anything as remuneration, ( naturally it doesn't look good for a high ranking govt official ) He will prescribe the medicines and all thats required for surgery, I just have to go out get them from local pharmacy. He said that he will look into the book about this case over the weekend.

Finally i am relieved that something good is going to happen about the injury. I thank you for telling me to post the pictures on the forum. I took pictures for actually posting it here, but they came in handy for showing it to the doc, as the photos were on my phone already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (129.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (215.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (225.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (182.0 KB, 25 views)
Posted 14th January 2017, 08:25 AM
another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (215.4 KB, 25 views)
Posted 14th January 2017, 09:37 AM
The poor thing. When a leg is set, it is going to heal in the way that it is held. Some people even suspend them to keep the leg going in the right position. This can't be done without a qualified vet doing the procedure. So unless you can find that, it will be of no use.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 16th January 2017, 02:01 AM

The visit to the Vet

I took the bird to the vet this morning.
He said that he will keep surgery as last resort.
Right now the bird doesn't have the health to stand anesthesia.
A tablet and an ointment has been prescribed which.
The bird is underweight, the tablet will rejuvenate the nerves and will help gain
weight and form.
And the ointment needs to be topically massaged, apparently it will disperse any clotting underneath the skin and will help soften up the calcification.

I need to take the bird to the Vet again in a weeks time, they will not go into resetting the bones unless they are assured that it will be able to withstand the stress and trauma.

Could anyone suggest any food which will help fatten him up a little?

Thanks in advance
Amit
Posted 16th January 2017, 08:47 AM
Amit, what are you feeding right now? Thank you for taking him to the vet and for helping him to get strength for surgery. Ours love a pigeon mix with safflower seed and i understand diced peanuts are a favorite. Others will have sugestions too. How is his appetite?

Last edited by cwebster; 16th January 2017 at 06:43 PM..
Posted 16th January 2017, 04:28 PM
You can mix in some unsalted chopped peanuts, sunflower seed and safflower seed. A bit of cracked corn. But don't over do with the seeds as too much fat isn't good for him either.

Posted 23rd January 2017, 04:57 AM
I am not too sure about the appetite, I am making diced unsalted peanuts and cracked corns available all the time. But the bird is not showing much interest in the seeds either, occasionally though i see him pecking at the seed dish.

Our domestic help was trying to feed shredded Roti and it responded beautifully. Seeing that, i have made some powder corn, gram, wheat and dried peas with the grinder, and using the mixture to make the dough for the roti. I am feeding the shredded Roti twice a day.

I am letting the bird out of the cage in the afternoon, when the traffic in the house is low. I see him exploring around the house, hopping on the one leg. The other leg is has showed excellent response to the medication. Though its twisted, the bird is actually using it maintain balance whenever required.
However, from the overall activities i can conclude that the pain has alleviated quite a lot.

I will be taking him to the vet in a day or two, lets see what he has to say about the condition.

"The guiding motive of mankind should be charity towards men, charity towards all animals." - Swami Vivekananda
Posted 23rd January 2017, 07:16 AM
Great! Good to hear
Posted 23rd January 2017, 12:08 PM
Glad to hear he is eating and getting around ok.
Posted 23rd January 2017, 12:42 PM
Yes, I would really like to see it going around on both of his legs.

"The guiding motive of mankind should be charity towards men, charity towards all animals." - Swami Vivekananda

Tags
broken pigeon leg