Turned down by Vet, need hlp pls - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 20th December 2016, 04:49 AM

Turned down by Vet, need hlp pls

Dear members,

I am Amit from Kolkata, India.
Last night i found a white pigeon on the terrace. It couldn't move or fly away, it was just flapping wings. Someone has cut off the primary wing feathers, due to which it can't fly. And it can't walk too. Upon close inspection, i believe both of its legs are broken. I have attached a picture giving you an idea where the fractures are. pigeon skeleton.jpg
I took it to the vet this morning, however i have been turned down as there is no one practicing avian medicine. Or perhaps they couldn't be bothered.
Its not eating on its own, i have hand fed a little wheat and rice grain and some water. Could someone please help me with what needs to be done. I read on the internet that leg can bound to a straw etc for the bones to attach again in about one or two months. Can you please help me with how to do it. or what sort of medication could be given to it? ( i am not sure about the gender, i don't know the difference )

Thanks in Advance

Amit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 20th December 2016, 07:14 AM
Poor pigeon. To start with, you checked his body completely for any other wounds or injuries? and for the fracture, you can make a support, as in keep an ear bud behind his leg and tie a cloth around it. Do it for both legs. I did this for my baby pigeon who had a fracture in his left leg. There is no medication for fracture. Also check down his throats for any yellowish or whitish growth.
If you find any such growths, then it is canker.
Just reply back here if you find anything mentioned above
Posted 20th December 2016, 07:17 AM
And as for the food, peas is really helpful. Boil the peas and drain them.
Feed one pea or corn kernel at a time and wait for the pigeon to swallow it before you feed another.. Every few pieces stop and Then feed. you should have no trouble feeling the peas and corn in the crop but they should move around easily when you press lightly with your finger. Feed three times, with a six hour gap between feeds.

Last edited by Rosequartz; 20th December 2016 at 07:59 AM..

Posted 20th December 2016, 01:39 PM
thanks for the guidance rosequartz! I did exactly as you suggested.
I am happy to report that there are no visible signs of injury, neither of canker.
I fed it some peas and lentils along with some breadcrumbs.
and wrapped the legs exactly as you suggested.
Questions:
how to determine the gender of the bird?
can i give calcium to accelarate bone growth?
how much to feed? i fed it about an ounce of food.

many thanks
Amit

Last edited by Amit..; 20th December 2016 at 01:41 PM..
Posted 21st December 2016, 12:55 AM
Can you post a picture of your bird? Maybe then I can give you a clue about it's gender. Since it's an adult feed up to 20-25 peas per feed. Also can you post a picture of it's poop? Most problems can be diagnosed by the birds poop
Also how is your bird's leg? Is he able to stand up? Also check if there is enough heat in the bird's body. If it's lacking heat, put it under a heating pad with regulated temperature or under a heat lamp or on a hot water bag.
Posted 21st December 2016, 12:56 AM
You can buy him birds food which has grit in it. You can also buy vitamin drops which is to be mixed with drinking water.
You can give him calcium as well.

Last edited by Rosequartz; 21st December 2016 at 01:02 AM..
Posted 21st December 2016, 01:02 AM
Here is a picture of the vitamin drops. You can find it in the pets store but I am not sure if it is available there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0638.JPG (215.0 KB, 42 views)
Posted 21st December 2016, 08:47 AM
Rather go for 50 peas 3 times daily. That will be enough for an adult pigeon.
Posted 21st December 2016, 12:43 PM
How is your bird doing?
Posted 21st December 2016, 01:30 PM
Rosequartz, Marina B

I am happy to say that the bird is doing much better.
Its full of zest and vigor than that when i found it.
I am feeding it peas, along with some peanuts and corn pieces. However when i am giving it a dish of mixed grain, it seems to be interested in mustard only. Getting bird feed isn't possible before Sunday, the pet market in the city operates only on Sundays. I intend to get a cage along with proper pigeon feed.

I will definitely try to post a picture tomorrow. both of poop and the legs.
It can't stand yet but it has heat in its body, however, since its winter, perhaps hot water bag would be
a good idea.

Would general multivitamins for babies be of any use, can i feed it garlic?
Also, i can grind up a bit of cuttlebone, i believe its a good source of calcium.

I think i might have to redo the plaster for the legs, i might have tied it the wrong way.
However, i would rather post the pictures first to get expert opinion, before i touch those legs again.

In the mean time, is there a way i can clean it up. Its white feathers are almost soiled with poop.
not really hygienic.
Posted 22nd December 2016, 12:53 AM

Poop and leg pictures attached

Hello Rosequartz,

I have attached the pictures as you suggested, please let me know what is your opinion.

Please let me know the gender, let me know if you need some more pictures
IMG_20161222_124241.jpg

IMG_20161222_124332.jpg

Poop pictures
IMG_20161222_125324.jpg

Legs picture
IMG_20161222_125539.jpg
Posted 22nd December 2016, 02:23 AM
Thanks Amit for the pictures. Its kind of hard to determine the gender now as they might be tired and sick. Soon after they recover, each gender will show some specific characteristics than the other. So soon after your bird recovers it will be easy to judge it's gender as they would be more enthusiastic. They will take some time to adjust with their new surroundings and with you. So they hid their behaviors.
I will be coming back to India soon and I admit, it's kind of irritating that you won't find much for your pet there. You can clean the feathers having poop as it's not good for the bird's health. You can give him a little practice to stand up. That why he can recover soon. You can keep him in a shoe box or a basket till you find him a cage. It will be better if you can provide him some heat as well.
Posted 22nd December 2016, 05:50 AM
Are you sure the bones are lined up? If not, then they will heal out of line.
How many peas are you giving him? He will need about 50 soft peas and corn a couple of times a day. If the crop empties quickly enough then feed him the 3rd time.
Is it the feathers that have been cut, or the actual wing itself?
How did he get on your terrace if he can't fly?

The gender of the bird can be hard to figure, and many pigeon owners have thought they had one gender and it turned out to be another.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 22nd December 2016, 09:33 AM
Lovely bird. Thank you for helping him. As Jay3 pointed out it is important that the bones are lined up. Hope he is all better soon.
Posted 22nd December 2016, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Are you sure the bones are lined up? If not, then they will heal out of line.
How many peas are you giving him? He will need about 50 soft peas and corn a couple of times a day. If the crop empties quickly enough then feed him the 3rd time.
Is it the feathers that have been cut, or the actual wing itself?
How did he get on your terrace if he can't fly?

The gender of the bird can be hard to figure, and many pigeon owners have thought they had one gender and it turned out to be another.
I am not sure that they are lined up, i went by best guess and a straight earbud stick. It did strike me that they might heal out of line. Hence i will be happy to redo them if i get a better idea to make sure that they are in line.

To feed it soft peas, i have to shove it down its throat. However its been eating on its own. And i noticed earlier that it can't eat the whole corn, so a broke a few in small pieces and they were eaten fast. Since then, its been eating steadily small broken pieces of peanuts, corn and mustard seeds.

The poop has become less watery now, more as lumpy semisolid rather, like other bird poop.

The primary feathers are cut off, hope they will regrow again.
I have no clue how it landed on my terrace which is three storey high, that too in the middle of the night around 11 pm.

If i can nurse it back to health, i suppose i will adopt it, if it chooses to stay. Also, do you know how long this type of healing usually takes?

Tags
broken pigeon leg