URGENT Dying Flock URGENT - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 27th February 2017, 07:06 AM

URGENT Dying Flock URGENT

Urgent help needed,

It is a 5 day holiday here in Brazil and I can't reach a clinic. We have a vet coming to the house and she is stumped too.

I have lost over 5 of my birds in the last 3 days.

I have done stool tests, blood tests and it came back as having worms and coccidiose...so we started treatment but they just got worse.

The majority of the birds died fast, within hours with little symptoms.

We are rehabbers but have 2 of our own domesticated pigeons. The male lasted about 6 days very sick, wobbly with no coordination, very quiet, he vomited the first 3 days then just got quiet and puffy. He maintained standing but the last day before he died, he laid down and we knew he wouldn't last much longer but he was a fighter (our alpha male in the coup) We also used an inhaler with meds (gentamicina and aceticisteina) for respiratory shortness of breath. The antibiotic ENROFLOXACINO.

We are tube feeding to maintain body weight.

we did an autopsy on one of them to see what is going on and it showed almost nothing...the test showed edema and very little worms but not enough to kill them. Edema can kill but what is causing it is the question.

Our female domesticated bird is walking all wobbly and disorientated, today she is puffy with head twitches. We thought maybe it was Pox and Salmonella but none of them are with their heads or neck twisted backwards.

The ones that are surviving try to eat but when they peck downwards it seems like their head just wants to curve upward, they can't seem to keep their necks straight to eat.

Her eyes look very pale, she has pink eyes normally but they are very faded in color now.

WHAT IS THIS? WHAT IS GOING ON?

I am completely lost, does anyone have any idea of what this might be affecting my coup?

Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited by careyotis; 27th February 2017 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 27th February 2017, 10:05 AM
Sorry to hear about your pigeons. Is it possible their food might be contaminated by something? Maybe poison?
Posted 27th February 2017, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by careyotis View Post
Urgent help needed,

It is a 5 day holiday here in Brazil and I can't reach a clinic. We have a vet coming to the house and she is stumped too.

I have lost over 5 of my birds in the last 3 days.

I have done stool tests, blood tests and it came back as having worms and coccidiose...so we started treatment but they just got worse.

The majority of the birds died fast, within hours with little symptoms.

We are rehabbers but have 2 of our own domesticated pigeons. The male lasted about 6 days very sick, wobbly with no coordination, very quiet, he vomited the first 3 days then just got quiet and puffy. He maintained standing but the last day before he died, he laid down and we knew he wouldn't last much longer but he was a fighter (our alpha male in the coup) We also used an inhaler with meds (gentamicina and aceticisteina) for respiratory shortness of breath. The antibiotic ENROFLOXACINO.

We are tube feeding to maintain body weight.

we did an autopsy on one of them to see what is going on and it showed almost nothing...the test showed edema and very little worms but not enough to kill them. Edema can kill but what is causing it is the question.

Our female domesticated bird is walking all wobbly and disorientated, today she is puffy with head twitches. We thought maybe it was Pox and Salmonella but none of them are with their heads or neck twisted backwards.

That wouldn't be symptoms of pox or salmonella, not that salmonella can't do that, but did you mean PMV?

The ones that are surviving try to eat but when they peck downwards it seems like their head just wants to curve upward, they can't seem to keep their necks straight to eat.

You mean like in PMV? Star gazing?

Her eyes look very pale, she has pink eyes normally but they are very faded in color now.

WHAT IS THIS? WHAT IS GOING ON?

I am completely lost, does anyone have any idea of what this might be affecting my coup?

Thanks so much in advance.
There is I know, a very deadly virus going around, but don't know much about it, except that birds are dying and they don't seem to be able to help.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 27th February 2017, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
Sorry to hear about your pigeons. Is it possible their food might be contaminated by something? Maybe poison?
Hi Marina, I thought the same thing but the vet said that if it was poison they would have died fast but some of ours are lasting past 6 days, no Star Gazing just wobbly and now my female is veering to the right and so she goes sometimes in a circular motion.

I am totally stumped.

I bought a fire blower to try to burn the ground and surrounding areas in the coup and Herbavet T.A (disinfectant, fungicide, viricida)

I definitely think something new is going around.

Last edited by careyotis; 27th February 2017 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: spell errors
Posted 27th February 2017, 12:32 PM
There is a new virus going around. Here is something on it.
http://www.melbournebirdvet.com/pige...us-update.aspx

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 27th February 2017, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
There is I know, a very deadly virus going around, but don't know much about it, except that birds are dying and they don't seem to be able to help.
yes sorry I meant PMV

Tags
illnesses, pigeon sick help