Urgent help required!!! - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Posted 13th August 2019, 08:04 AM
Can you post a photo of him and try to post one of the inside of his beak. Overdosing on metronidazole will cause neurological problems. Maybe it is because you are using both meds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 14th August 2019, 08:52 AM
Yes you are right! He has developed neurological problems😣. He had it when I first picked him up and now due to my mistake, he is getting it again.what should I do now? Reduce the dosage or stop the tablet altogether. I really donít want to stop it now.please suggest me something!
Posted 14th August 2019, 09:01 AM
These are a few attachments that show itís tilted head due to some neurological problem and also canker in its mouth.

Posted 14th August 2019, 10:06 AM
That's really bad. Can't believe the meds aren't working. Are you giving him only the flagyl or are you still treating for chlamydia as well? Can you get hold of Meditrich from Medpet? That's the product that I use for canker and it has never failed me.
Posted 14th August 2019, 01:05 PM
Maybe it's not the meds that's causing the neurological problems. You did say he had it when you found him. Continue with the 50 mg once daily that's about the only thing you can do for now. Is he still drinking plenty of water?
Posted 14th August 2019, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwood45789 View Post
Hi, that bird will always be sick, put it out of it's misery. beachwood
Euthanise him? Iím sorry, thatís not even on my list!
Posted 14th August 2019, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
Maybe it's not the meds that's causing the neurological problems. You did say he had it when you found him. Continue with the 50 mg once daily that's about the only thing you can do for now. Is he still drinking plenty of water?
Yeah but he was doing well until a couple of days back. He is not drinking plenty of water now. It has reduced but still little more than usual. And his lime green poops have changed to dark green too, Iíll continue with the medicine.will keep you updated!
Posted 14th August 2019, 10:58 PM
Just try your best with him. I can't believe you are able to get food into him. Lime green droppings are starvation droppings. What are you feeding him? Dark green droppings are ok for now, as long as they are bulky.

Euthanizing is always the easy way out for someone that does not have the dedication to save a pigeon. Thanks for not going for that option. You will know what is best for him. Sometimes one needs to combine 2 meds to get rid of the canker. Ronidazole is another option.

Let us know how he is doing.
Posted 14th August 2019, 11:55 PM
Iím feeding him baby food. Making it semi solid so that it can pass through. Iím trying my best. Sure! Will keep you updated!
Posted 15th August 2019, 12:31 AM
Just want to make mention of a few things. Shouldíve done it earlier may be.
Firstly, I honestly donít know what dosage Iím giving him because Iíve a flgyl 400.
Secondly,I powdered it since I canít put it directly into his mouth and add a few droplets of water so that it can pass through. The dosage may either be less or more.

Another doubt which I have. Can I use two anti biotics together? If yes,then what dosage of both meds should I give him and together or separate.please provide me with all the details.
Posted 15th August 2019, 01:32 AM
Best for the flagyl will be to grind up the whole tablet, divide into 8 parts then you have 8 heaps of 50 mg. Mix this with small amount of food, and feed this first to him. Then you know he is getting the correct dosage. Then you can give more food.

What other antibiotics do you want to give?
Posted 16th August 2019, 10:31 AM
Yeah I almost did the same except that I didnít make 8 different heaps.just took a pinch everyday.thats why missed the correct dosage. This time I cut it into 8 pieces and powdered one piece from it, added few droplets of water and fed it directly with a spoon. As for mixing it in his food,he doesnít eat fully so he might miss some of it. So I give him directly.

Now there is no need for any other antibiotic as it has started working by Godís grace. Will post a picture of it when it is cured completely. Iím planning to go with a 5 day course. Thanks for your support!
Posted 16th August 2019, 07:55 PM
Really beautiful bird! Hope he is better soon.
Posted 16th August 2019, 11:27 PM
You might have to treat for longer than 5 days. The metro does not dissolve well in water, so make double sure he gets the correct dosage. Hope he recovers soon. Let us know.
Posted 17th August 2019, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Really beautiful bird! Hope he is better soon.
Indeed he is! Hoping for the best!
Closed Thread

Tags
also has canker, pigeon, swollen around eye