Urgent help required!!! - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Posted 17th August 2019, 12:24 AM
Is it okay to treat him for than 5 days? Because itís already 8th day today I guess.been 2 days since I started giving him the correct dosage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 17th August 2019, 01:34 AM
You will need to treat him until all the canker is gone. Usually there is an improvement within 3 days, but if you stop too soon then the canker will just return and it will be more difficult to get rid of it.
Posted 18th August 2019, 01:12 AM
How will I know that he's fully cured of it? I cant do any tests. There isn't any such facility here.

Posted 18th August 2019, 05:46 AM
When you start seeing the nodule get smaller is how you know.... Treat him for 10 days and open the beak and look again.

Just an FYI: there are resistant strains of canker, one reason is people giving not enough or correct dosage of meds. If you want to cure this you need to start ordering online from pigeon supply all the meds that can cure canker and have it on hand.. when you need to use it.. do exactly as the instructions tell you.

As far as euthanasia goes, it is an option for many who feel just as much affection for a bird, that option is still hard to come to, does not mean they are cruel or feel less because of it. It takes a strong person to be there with that if an animal needs it and step up for them. But it is an individuals decision and no one elseís.
Posted 18th August 2019, 08:51 AM
Treat until all the canker in the throat is gone. The droppings of a healthy bird will be brown and firm with a white dot on top. Try to get hold of probiotics to start adding to her drinking water. Apple cider vinegar will also do her good. After antibiotic treatment the good gut bacteria needs to be restored and the above products will help. Can you see an improvement?
Posted 19th August 2019, 01:40 AM
Yeah thankfully I could see a lot of difference. Iíll post a picture soon. Please suggest me some probiotics too that are common for all types of birds.
Posted 19th August 2019, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
When you start seeing the nodule get smaller is how you know.... Treat him for 10 days and open the beak and look again.

Just an FYI: there are resistant strains of canker, one reason is people giving not enough or correct dosage of meds. If you want to cure this you need to start ordering online from pigeon supply all the meds that can cure canker and have it on hand.. when you need to use it.. do exactly as the instructions tell you.

As far as euthanasia goes, it is an option for many who feel just as much affection for a bird, that option is still hard to come to, does not mean they are cruel or feel less because of it. It takes a strong person to be there with that if an animal needs it and step up for them. But it is an individuals decision and no one elseís.
Isnít flagyl enough to treat canker?
Posted 19th August 2019, 07:34 AM
If the canker is getting smaller, then the flagyl is working. No need to use other antibiotics. Do you have a petshop nearby? Ask them for a good probiotic for pigeons and doves. Otherwise, you will need to order online.
Posted 19th August 2019, 12:55 PM
Yeah Iíll check it out. Iím just worried if the bacteria would develop immunity against flagyl if I give it for too long.
Posted 25th August 2019, 05:52 AM
How is your pigeon doing?
Posted 26th August 2019, 02:15 AM
Yeah heís improving. Iíll post a pic when he is completely cured of canker.
Posted 26th August 2019, 04:28 AM
Great! Glad to hear that!
Posted 27th August 2019, 03:09 AM
Great news. I'm glad he's on the mend.
Posted 27th August 2019, 11:37 PM
Looking at those pics of the canker on the top of his throat, makes me think that he didn't have Chlamydia. He has canker. And has it in his sinus. If on the top of his throat like that, it can go up into his sinus. That can make the eyes become as they were, and can make the nose and throat mucosy. I think his only problem was canker to begin with.
How many mgs of the Flagyl are you giving one time daily? Flagyl is Metronidazole. Sometimes it can take even a couple of weeks or so to clear. But need to be giving enough in each dose. How is he doing now?
I'm glad Marina pushed you to treat the canker, or he would have died.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Last edited by Jay3; 27th August 2019 at 11:39 PM..
Posted 28th August 2019, 08:30 AM
Hi all! So here's the update!
Today is the 15th day of his treatment for canker with the correct dosage. Also I've been still treating him with doxy as it was a 42 day treatment and it's the 33rd day of it. The amount of canker we saw was just the tip of the iceberg, okay if not iceberg still there was a lot of canker behind it. He's slowly getting cured of it except a small lump. Opening of his food pipe is visible now and glad to say that nearly after two months, I gave him solid pigeon food ( grain mix) and he just missed it so much,could see from the way he started eating it greedily.
Still did not give him ACV as it Should not be used with tetracyclines. Meanwhile just wanted to get some more information on acv as for how long can the treated water be used? just one day and should I prepare a new one or can be used for a couple of days?

Also can I give him the treated water daily or alternate days or twice a week? and for how many days should I give him the treated water?

If I give him ACV treated water is there any need for extra probiotics that need to be added?

Last edited by _Syed; 28th August 2019 at 09:06 AM..
Closed Thread

Tags
also has canker, pigeon, swollen around eye