Urgent help required!!! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Posted 3rd August 2019, 05:55 AM

Urgent help required!!!

Hi all,I'm new to dis forum so pls bear wit me.
I found a pigeon standing in the dark in front of my house,his left eye was completely closed by som sort of a hard yellow substance and he wasn't moving wen I got near him.He also had som nervous disorder I guess as he was moving his head in an unusual manner and couldn't peck grains too. He always missed the target but would try hard to peck it.I picked him up,kept him in a closed room and cleaned his eye first with water and removed tat substance after one hour of struggle. To start with,I started giving him water(50 ml) mixed with a pinch of tetracycline and started to put eye drops regularly. As he was nt able to eat,I started force feeding him to keep him alive. Eventually he showed som progress and I stopped giving the medicated water as I thought he was becomming well. That was a blunder! he again started falling sick miserably.dis tym his nose became watery,he had breathing problems and the infected eye was not infected anymore but the area around it started swelling to the point tat it closed the eye. I did some googling and assumed tat it could be chlamydia so I started treating him with doxycycline in his water(100mg/250ml) but would give him only 1ml of the medicated water thrice bcox if i kept the water bowl,he would drink lots of water due to inflammation wch would cause extremely watery poops. So out of fear of diarrhoea, I would not give him enough water. The results were good and the swelling got reduced gradually until one day I found out tat he has developed canker and it was visible in his mouth near the throat. I did not provide him with any medication for canker as I was already keeping him on meds for chlamydia. Today is the 4th day since I found out about canker. I do not know if its a positive sign tat since then,the canker has neither increased nor reduced. But today I saw that the area around the same eye has again started to swell.He has difficulty in breathing while I feed him.He opens his mouth to breathe and what I feed is sticky,neither liquid nor solid,I make it a kind of paste and feed him.It blocks his throat I guess due to the stickiness and so he dsnt like to have it. But I do not know of anythng other than tat to feed him.Now he is able to peck 70% of the grains but due to canker in his throat,the grains don't pass through.So I've to still hand feed him.What am I supposed to do now? Any suggestions of what else can I feed him wch is semi-solid or kind of paste bt nt so sticky?Also , am I giving him vry less medicated water? Should I increase it? The thing is,wen I keep the bowl and wen he drinks from the bowl,som white substance comes out from either his mouth or nose wch contaminates the medicated water.Don't knw wat tat is. Thats another reason why Im nt keeping the bowl. Can I treat him for canker too simultaneously? If yes,then wat s d dosage of metro I shud b giving him? and can I mix both the medicines in the same water? or shud I wait until this treatment gets over? its been 7 days since I started giving him doxy. Or what else should I do? He also constantly pecks my feet, it sort of tickles.Is tat normal or wat is he tryng to convey?Pls help me as thre r no avian vets available here. Im sry for such a long post, I wanted it to be in detail coz I need help asap so made sure no point is left out. Thanks it advance!

Last edited by _Syed; 3rd August 2019 at 08:50 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 4th August 2019, 12:17 AM
You will need to treat him for canker asap. It won't clear up by itself. Can you get hold of metronidazole? He will need 50 mg once daily for 7-10 days, sometimes longer. Meds in the water is no good, you have no control over his intake. The metro comes in tablet form, you can just split it up into the correct size and put this straight in his throat for him to swallow.

Also add apple cider vinegar to his drinking water (5ml to 1l of water) to prevent yeast infection. Probiotics for pigeons will also do him good.

In the meantime, best to forcefeed him will be defrosted peas. Soak in warm water till soft and feed to him. He will need at least 50 peas 3 times daily. Put him on your lap (facing to the right if you are righthanded). Reach with your left hand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your right hand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. Give him time to swallow and proceed with the next one. If he spits it out, you are not putting it in deep enough.

I don't know if you can use both meds at the same time. I think the canker is the more serious disease, so first treat for that. Can you post a photo of him?
Posted 4th August 2019, 12:18 AM
He is probably hungry, that's why he is pecking at your feet.

Posted 4th August 2019, 08:34 AM
Thank yu for yur rply!
Yeah flagyl is handy! But i need to knw if i can use both meds at d same tym. Coz d first disease he got was chlamydia(assuming it s chlamydia). He s even responding to d medications well and it s supposed to be a 6 wk treatment.Canker came after, so i don't want to stop his meds for chlamydia while treating for canker. Another notable point is tat, he s active wen im around, i go in only for feeding.He runs to me and keeps on tickling my feet. So it s not tat he s vry dull and lethargic. Yeah he puffs up wen alone and wen sleepy. As for peas, he has som respiratory problems and so sumtyms breathes through his beak open. Also he has canker near his throat. Will he be able to swallow? coz i dont want him to choke. Last tym, even wheat grain couldnt make it through. Can i soak bread in water and give it to him?
Posted 4th August 2019, 10:33 AM
I really don't know if you can use both meds. I've used metro and amoxycillin combined before, but I've never used doxycycline. I will send a pm to Jay3 (one of our members) and then wait for an answer and let you know.

He probably had canker when you got him. I think by the time they develop the canker lesions in the mouth, the disease is very advanced. This will definetly kill him before you are finished with the doxycycline treatment. He won't last 6 weeks.

Plse don't feed him bread, it has no nutritional value and he won't benefit from it. If you think a whole pea is too large, split it in half and feed to him. Put down very small seeds, he might be able to eat those.

Also, try and keep him warm especially at night. A hotwater bottle covered with a soft blanket will do.

If I had this bird, I would really first try to get rid of the canker. It's only going to get worst. It will progress to the point that you won't be able to feed him at all and he might start having serious breathing issues if the breathing hole is covered by the lesions.
Posted 4th August 2019, 11:02 AM
Alryt then! Ill start giving him flagyl once yu consult yur frnd and gimme a green signal. Ill try giving him peas too. Thank yu so much for yur help. Ill keep yu updated!
Posted 5th August 2019, 05:20 AM
Haven't received an answer yet. No info on the internet either. But like I said, first get rid of the canker and then sort out the other problems. If the canker does not get treated, it will only become worse.
Posted 5th August 2019, 06:54 AM
Sure! I'll treat him for canker too simultaneously! Will let you know if any help is required! Thanks once again!

Just to let you know, I'm giving him garlic water too. Will that help for canker? I heard it might prevent canker , what about curing it? Any idea?
Posted 5th August 2019, 12:48 PM
Hi Syed, send me your e-mail address and i will send you some info on medications i cant post it here cause it is doc. file you can send me your e-mail in a private message if you want. and i dont think you can use doxie with flaygyl together, i know humans dont mix the 2 drugs Beachwood

Last edited by beachwood45789; 5th August 2019 at 02:25 PM..
Posted 5th August 2019, 11:37 PM
I've send a message to the Facebook group "Pigeon Angels" and was told he will be fine on both meds. Just add apple cider vinegar (5 ml to 1 l water) to his drinking water to prevent a yeast infection. He will also benefit from pigeon probiotics, if you can get hold of that.

Let us know how he is doing.
Posted 10th August 2019, 07:05 AM
Thank you !

Update!

Chlamydia:
His eye seems to be fine. Cold seems to be fine. I dont hear any wheezing sound now. Has little bit of respiratory problem still. Otherwise all good.

Canker:
Could see canker near his throat still. I dont know if the tablet is working or not. I guess it is, but I'm not able to see any distinct change. May be should wait for some more days. Overall he's active and playful.

Had a few questions:
For how long should i continue flagyl?
How will I know that he is getting cured of canker? Will it start disappearing or lumps of those lesions will fall off or something like that?
He bites the hell out of me. Always! Its not like for food. Its just always! before and after eating too. Hope he's just being playful.
Also, is ACV really important to add in his water or it's okay even if i dont?

Last edited by _Syed; 10th August 2019 at 07:16 AM..
Posted 10th August 2019, 07:30 AM
Are you giving him the 50 mg of metro once daily? How long has he been on treatment for canker now? Continue with that until all the canker is gone. Usually one sees an improvement within 3 days, sometimes it takes longer. The acv is quite important. It helps restore the good gut bacteria and prevent a yeast infection. Yeast also shows up as white dots in the back of the throat.

Biting your hands is a good sign, he is fearfull of your hands. A really sick pigeon will act tamŤ.
Posted 11th August 2019, 08:18 AM
From your first post description, it sounds like a pox lesion.

Not to say he doesnít have canker also as that can flare up if they are stressed or have a disease like pox, which is yellow lesions mainly on the head. There is no cure except supportive care. It will run its course and the lesions should improve if he is fed well and has fresh clean water.. bottled maybe best depending on where you live.
Posted 13th August 2019, 01:20 AM
Yeah Iíve been giving him daily. For d past 6 days I guess. And now it seems Iíve been overdosing him,I donít know. I could see that he has some problems with his sight. I read it somewhere that overdosage of metronidazole can cause blurred vision and blindness too. I feel he has blurred vision.what do I do now? Continue with the medicine?
He is still active and bites but lesser than before.
Posted 13th August 2019, 01:21 AM
Lesions are inside his mouth, not above his head.
Closed Thread

Tags
also has canker, pigeon, swollen around eye