Urgent help required !!! ( part 2) - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 5th September 2019, 12:22 AM
Heís doing much better except for that creamish brown lump in his throat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 7th September 2019, 09:00 AM
Does anyone know what this thing is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9DCCAC98-8B11-4DCD-B6A5-14924DACC4A5.jpg (87.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg C4B5BAD8-FC70-4B48-AA9C-6EC656374883.jpg (85.1 KB, 42 views)
Posted 8th September 2019, 01:57 AM
How long has he been on the meds now? Still looks like canker, is it getting smaller or not? Has he started eating by himself?

Posted 8th September 2019, 12:37 PM
I stopped all his meds 6 days back. This thing didnít seem to go at all, so I stopped the meds. Can this be anything other than canker? Because metro didnít have an effect on it. All of the other lumps were gone except for this and moreover this slowly started changing colour from creamish white to brown as you can observe from the pic. He started eating by himself long ago probably some 10 days back.
Posted 8th September 2019, 05:42 PM
Hi Syed, i looked up some things about 2 drugs NILSTATIN AND DAKTARIN they seem to help pigeons who have a growth in there mouth or infections idont no very much about these 2 drugs. to enlarge these screen shots rt. click click save image as and put it in your favorite file Screenshot_2019-09-08 Does your pigeon have candidiasis .jpg

Screenshot_2019-09-08 CANDIDIASIS - Diseases of Poultry - The Poultry Site The Poultry Site.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2019-09-08 Candidiasis, Moniliasis, Thrush.jpg (89.8 KB, 32 views)
Posted 9th September 2019, 07:14 AM
Hi, I rescued some pigeons with canker who had a similar brownish (or also greyish) growth in the mouth. I don't know how to explain it but I think that in those cases the growth inside the beak was a "mixture" of canker + some food that they ate but couldn't swallow. The upper part of the growth looked brownish (or greyish), the lower part was yellowish. Does he eat on his own a mixture of seeds? Of course, I don't know if it's the same situation for your bird.

Do you have Betadine 10% (povidone iodine) on hand? If so, you could dip a q-tip in it then gently apply it topically on the growth and around all his mouth (like if you were "painting" it). You can do that twice a day, the q-tip must be not too dry or too impregnated/soaked. I learned that method from my vet (not all vets agree with this method, about me I always do it).

Here you can read the information found by Howl about the use of povidone iodine in trichomonal infection in human:

What to do if I *suspect* I have stopped canker treatment prematurely https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=116644

As canker treatment I use spartrix (carnidazole), it's a specific medication for pigeons (so I imagine that you can't find it in local pharmacy). Maybe you could try to look for it online.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190909_145932_1568034037530.jpg (1.83 MB, 25 views)
Posted 10th September 2019, 12:37 AM
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Iím glad to inform you that it is gone now. How? Even Iím not aware of it. One day, it just vanished. Iíve been treating that lump for so many days,with metro,but in vain. I also bought a new drug assuming it was canker ( before all your suggestions) but did not use it, just wanted to make sure and start with the treatment again. To my surprise, it was just gone. Heís now healthy, eating his grains well, as a consequence gaining weight too. Iíll soon post a pic of him completely cured and healthy!
Posted 10th September 2019, 11:18 AM
Great news 😃!!! Thanks so much for the update!

Probably the growth just fell off.

A complete vitamin supplement (vitamins + trace elements + amino acids) and probiotics will help him to get stronger. A large variety of seed and dry legumes (the ones for humans that you can find at supermarket like mung beans, small lentils and peas) will also help him.

Excellent job !
Posted 10th September 2019, 07:35 PM
I'm so glad he is healthy again. Well done!
Posted 12th September 2019, 01:25 PM
Thanks a lot Marina b and Colombina. Means so much!
Posted 15th September 2019, 06:45 AM
Hi folks!
With a heavy heart I want to share something with you all! A couple of months ago, a beauty landed in front of my home,sick. One eye completely shut by some sort of infection, with nervous issues, and sick inside.We took it in not knowing if he will ever survive. We did not know what was wrong with him, we cleaned his eye, removed that yellow thing which was covering it after an hour of patient struggle and started treating him with broad spectrum anti biotic. We hand fed him baby formula and after a lot of research on the net came to a conclusion that it could be chlamydia. Started treatment for it and then suddenly saw a lesion in his mouth, to be honest, I was shattered seeing it because there has not been one survival case of canker from the pigeons whom I took with canker. Probably I had not treated them with the correct dosage. Moving on, I started a thread in this forum and on Marinaís advice started treating him for canker after 5 days from the day it was seen.ĒBetter late than neverĒ. But again, I was treating him wrong, with the wrong dosage. Canker didnít seem to reduce significantly and he developed little bit of nervous issues also. Then I started giving him the correct dosage with measurement. Voila! Amazing change except for tat lump. God knows what that was and eventually it vanished too. Meanwhile we developed a very beautiful bond, he would come to me and peck my feet and hands and when I groomed him, he would make the purring sound . We didnít feel like strangers anymore. Then after nearly 10 days of observation the day finally came where I had to bid him farewell. I would never have let him go if I was selfish enough, but I did! I did for his happiness. His happiness was with his family,with hundreds of other pigeons out there soaring high. I released him and he took a bit of time to figure out things and recollect everything. Then the moment came and he took the flight! So overwhelming to see him fly like that. May he always be healthy,strong and happy! The reason Iím sharing it with you all is that, I miss him, I miss him so very much. Thought sharing would reduce my pain.
Iím so much indebted to all of you who guided me and helped me . Thank you all so much.
P.S : It was a Ďsheí not a Ďheí all this time😋
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9E30DB93-43DB-4351-A7BD-4EE96F1268B7.jpg (86.5 KB, 15 views)
Posted 15th September 2019, 11:42 AM
One gets so attached to them so quickly and it is always heartbreaking to let go when the job is finished. To have her caged up inside an apartment would have been a very bad life for her. She was an adult when you got her, so she knows the area and how to survive. I still hope you will see her from time to time.
Posted 15th September 2019, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
One gets so attached to them so quickly and it is always heartbreaking to let go when the job is finished. To have her caged up inside an apartment would have been a very bad life for her. She was an adult when you got her, so she knows the area and how to survive. I still hope you will see her from time to time.
Yeah you are right! Sheís from among the hundredís of pigeons that are in our community. So I hope weíll meet often and also that she recognises me.