(Urgent)please help - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 23rd January 2017, 03:39 PM

(Urgent)please help

I've been treating my baby pigeon for suspected canker with spartrix and a tiny little piece of co-amoxiclav today he's been showing abit of a improvement,then tonight on top of everything else,I noticed this just near his crop by his wing,I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before.and his feathers are damp,he seems OK in himself,but I'm really worried,what is it?I'm new to pigeons and what can I do for him before I get him to a vet,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (105.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Sarah k; 23rd January 2017 at 03:56 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 23rd January 2017, 03:58 PM
That had to be there for a while. Flush with saline that you can make by boiling a quart of water and 1 Tablespoon of salt, then cool to lukewarm. Flush with this, then cover wound with an antibiotic cream. He needs an oral antibiotic as well.
Can't tell if it goes through to the crop or not.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Last edited by Jay3; 23rd January 2017 at 04:05 PM..
Posted 23rd January 2017, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
That had to be there for a while. Flush with saline that you can make by boiling a quart of water and 1 Tablespoon of salt, then cool to lukewarm. Flush with this, then cover wound with an antibiotic cream. He needs an oral antibiotic as well.
I can honestly say I have never noticed it.and I'm always gently fluffing his feathers back,and he was at the vets the other day.
What is it?
I will have to get him back the vet tomorrow,
I have inodine,the stuff the vet uses can I bathe it with that?

Last edited by Sarah k; 23rd January 2017 at 04:08 PM..

Posted 23rd January 2017, 04:45 PM
I just found some Bactroban ointment.says it's an antibiotic cream,would this be ok?and what is it?
Thanks
Posted 23rd January 2017, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah k View Post
I can honestly say I have never noticed it.and I'm always gently fluffing his feathers back,and he was at the vets the other day.
What is it?
I will have to get him back the vet tomorrow,
I have inodine,the stuff the vet uses can I bathe it with that?
I would use saline. Clean it out good, then the ointment.
I can't tell what it is from that pic except that it is a wound. Does it seem as though it is coming through from the crop?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Last edited by Jay3; 23rd January 2017 at 05:20 PM..
Posted 23rd January 2017, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah k View Post
I just found some Bactroban ointment.says it's an antibiotic cream,would this be ok?and what is it?
Thanks
Yes I think that would be fine.

Posted 23rd January 2017, 05:33 PM
Quote:
I would use saline. Clean it out good, then the ointment.
I can't tell what it is from that pic except that it is a wound. Does it seem as though it is coming through from the crop?
it doesn't look like it through,don't think it's an injury,he definatly didn't have it the other day when I took him the vets,my daughter just said to me today why are his feather oily.
So I looked underneath and found that sore just about where the fold of his wing starts,
I've cleaned it out like you said with some salt water and applied the bactroban .like I said I gave him some co-amoxiclav antibiotic a very small amount morning and night started yesterday,because I can't get hold of any metronidazole,
Posted 23rd January 2017, 06:39 PM
I thought you were treating for canker with Spartrix?
Amoxiclav doesn't take the pace of Metronidazole. They are for different things. You can use that for any infection from the wound, but need to give the right amount for that drug. Not a small amount here and there.

Posted 23rd January 2017, 06:43 PM
Maybe being in the wing fold, it was missed. It didn't just get there today.

Posted 23rd January 2017, 07:25 PM
Quote:
I thought you were treating for canker with Spartrix?
Amoxiclav doesn't take the pace of Metronidazole. They are for different things. You can use that for any infection from the wound, but need to give the right amount for that drug. Not a small amount here and there.
I am treating for the canker with the spartrix 1 tablet instead of half like you suggested in my other thread,
And when I mean a little bit I mean I worked it out with s little help 1 250mg tablet 12.5mg twice a day so I've broke it up into small pieces,he has one in the morning and 1 at night for 2 days up till now he was looking to me and my family like he is improving,he's not tilting his head back as much when he drinks.seems more alert.
The sore may of been a little spot that I missed so I need to go to spec savers for new glasses.

Tags
sick baby pigeon