Very sick young bird - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 22nd July 2016, 11:07 AM
I'm so sorry. I know you did your best. When we know more, we can do more. Your vet isn't an avian vet, so though he does help, he doesn't know enough to be of a great help here. A bird vet would probably have know what was wrong, and would have known to take samples and check them. I really believe he had canker, which is easily treated. I'm really sorry you lost him.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 24th July 2016, 05:04 AM
Thank you all very much. I wish I knew more about pigeon diseases because I come across injured or sick pigeons rather often.

Jay3: I've been reading more about canker and I think you are right. I guess I just blindly believed my vet that it was a respiratory infection.

I will contact my vet to find out if he can do any kind of blood cultures if I ever need that for another bird.
Posted 24th July 2016, 10:35 AM
You don't need cultures. You just take a swab from his throat and look at it under a microscope. Of course you need to know what you are looking for.
Other illness will often cause canker, so treating for it is not a bad idea. You can buy Metronidazole and have it on hand. Canker is common with pigeons.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 28th July 2016, 08:30 AM
Yep, I will buy metronidazole and I'll make sure it's a pill, not the powder kind you put in water. Thank you again for your support.
Posted 28th July 2016, 06:39 PM
If you keep pigeons a few good things to have on hand would be
a good and safe wormer
Metronidazole for canker
A good Cocci treatment
A good antibiotic
Probiotics
calcium and D3 supplement
These can be collected a little at a time. Better to be prepared. If you store them safely, the tablets will last for years past their expiration date.

Posted 30th July 2016, 06:11 PM
Thank you, Jay3, I will try to keep those around for the times I need them. I already have some of that stuff.
I don't keep pigeons as a hobby or anything, it's just that I've had one for over a year now and because of him I've been paying more attention to birds in general. Either way, if I find an injured or sick bird, I try my best to help.
Posted 30th July 2016, 07:39 PM
Any of those things are good for just one pet pigeon too.

Posted 31st July 2016, 04:15 AM
They could be, but antibiotics would generally not be necessary unless I put him in contact with a sick bird, which I don't. He's an indoor pigeon so to speak .
Posted 31st July 2016, 11:39 AM
You would think so, but your bird doesn't need to be in contact with a sick bird to get sick himself. Canker is something very common that they can come down with for many reasons. A little bit of stress can cause it. The same with Cocci. Probiotics and calcium plus vit. D3 supplements are needed by all pigeons. The vitamin D3 is needed even more if it is an inside bird, as they are not outside in the full sunlight. They get vit D3 from the sun, and an inside bird doesn't get that. Without vit. D3, they cannot absorb any calcium they do get. And even if kept near a window, the rays of the sun that they need don't pass through window glass or screen.
Lots of people come on here with a pet pigeon who has come down with canker or something else. If it were me, I would rather have the med on hand, than to figure out what it is, and then have to look for it, or buy it and have it shipped to me. By then it is often too late. If you keep a pigeon, then you should go online and read articles on the more common diseases and illnesses that could come up. And then you can be prepared for them.

Posted 31st July 2016, 04:40 PM
I see, I guess even an indoor (feral) pigeon could carry bacteria/protozoa and the disease could indeed be triggered if the bird has a weakened immune system. Thanks a lot for all the information, Jay3. I will do my best to care for my pidgie.
Posted 31st July 2016, 06:57 PM
Almost all pigeons do carry those things.

Posted 1st August 2016, 12:46 PM
This is so sad to hear,but you did all you could and that's what counts
Posted 1st August 2016, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
If you keep pigeons a few good things to have on hand would be
a good and safe wormer
Metronidazole for canker
A good Cocci treatment
A good antibiotic
Probiotics
calcium and D3 supplement
These can be collected a little at a time. Better to be prepared. If you store them safely, the tablets will last for years past their expiration date.
This is some good info on what we should have ready in case sickness strikes. i need to get some of this stuff as i have nothing at the moment unless you count bandages ,plasters and duck tape.

Jay should you also buy Cocci treatment in a tablet form as well ?

Posted 1st August 2016, 01:11 PM
Well it's good to have on hand in case you are treating just one bird. Also you know for sure that the bird did get the right dose. With med in drinking water, you can't be sure if they get enough or not.

Tags
breathing difficulties, eye infection, respiratory infection, squab